- Specifically state what it is that you are applying for or interested in applying for (e.g., the position, appointment, student or other visa, extension on a deadline, loan, credit card, etc.).
- Identify the reason that you are applying. Be as specific as possible.
- Give the reasons that you feel you merit or qualify for the position or object/thing you are applying for, if applicable (e.g., your goals, experience, qualifications or accomplishments, positive traits, and so forth).
- Identify what you hope to accomplish by sending your letter and the action you would like the recipient to take.
- Indicate the date by which you would like a response to your letter or by which you would like the action to be taken.
- Refer to any other documents you have included with your letter, such as application or other forms, letters of recommendation, resume, examples of your work, etc.
- Include a request for any information you would like to be sent, if applicable.
- Include your contact information, such as e-mail address or phone number where you can most easily be reached and the time(s) when you available for calls, etc.
- Close your letter by sincerely thanking the person for his/her time or for any assistance he/she can give you.
Still can't find the right words for your application letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the application letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective application letter.
- Print your application letter and send it!