- To begin your letter, specifically state what it is that you are approving.
- Give the reasons for the approval, if desired.
- If appropriate, indicate the next steps the person should take or what to expect next.
- Restate or announce important dates associated with the approval (date promotion becomes effective, date the account will be activated, dates of the event, etc.).
- Include any other important information (such as any parameters, for example), if needed.
- If applicable, close your letter by reiterating your appreciation or by offering best wishes for the new project, position, appointment, etc.
Approval Letter Tips
- It is generally appropriate to use a warm, cordial tone for letters of approval.
- Normally, approval letters can be short and to the point.
- Clearly state what is being approved, including any associated dates, locations, or similar information so that there will be no room for misunderstanding.
- If you have any special stipulations or guidelines that apply to the situation, include them in your letter.
Still can't find the right words for your approval letter?
You will with our 500 letter-writing tutorials!
- Find the approval letter that fits your needs and copy it directly into Microsoft Word or your favorite word processor.
- Or let our 500 letter-writing tutorials guide you step-by-step through the writing process, suggesting sample phrases and sentences for each writing step. In minutes, you can write an effective approval letter.
- Print your approval letter and send it!