How to Write an Approval Letter
by WriteExpress Staff Writers
- To begin your letter, specifically state what it is that you are approving.
- Give the reasons for the approval, if desired.
- If appropriate, indicate the next steps the person should take or what to expect next.
- Restate or announce important dates associated with the approval (date promotion becomes effective, date the account will be activated, dates of the event, etc.).
- Include any other important information (such as any parameters, for example), if needed.
- If applicable, close your letter by reiterating your appreciation or by offering best wishes for the new project, position, appointment, etc.
Approval Letter Tips
- It is generally appropriate to use a warm, cordial tone for letters of approval.
- Normally, approval letters can be short and to the point.
- Clearly state what is being approved, including any associated dates, locations, or similar information so that there will be no room for misunderstanding.
- If you have any special stipulations or guidelines that apply to the situation, include them in your letter.