Acknowledge the Receipt of a Suggestion from an Employee • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
A brief letter acknowledging an employee's suggestion is a good investment in company growth and employee morale. You may wish to meet personally with the employee to get a full explanation of the suggestion. If you are responding by e-mail, you might send copies, including the original suggestion, to other interested persons. Send the letter within a day or two of receiving the suggestion.
How to write this acknowledgment letter:
- Thank the employee for the suggestion. Make sure the employee understands which suggestion you are acknowledging.
- Explain how you or others will consider the employee's suggestion, and when he or she can expect a reply.
- Express sincere appreciation for the employee's idea, insight, or suggestion.
Example Letter #1
I thought you would like to know the outcome of our conversation last Tuesday. We are seriously considering your suggestion that we solicit input from all personnel through an e-mail "brainstorming" bulletin board. Thank you for your insight.
Our company's success depends upon both the collective and individual innovation of our employees. Your bulletin board suggestion may encourage employees to speak up more frequently.
Your idea should become a reality in a very short while. Thanks for your help.
Example Letter #2
I found your suggestions for improving quality control very interesting. You made some very good points. Please plan to present your ideas in our next staff meeting, Monday at 9:00 a.m. I will put you on the first part of the agenda. I sincerely appreciate your interest in helping us improve our process.
Example Letter #3
I recently received the following suggestion from John, who seems to have a good grasp of the issues confronting his team. Would each of you please review his suggestion and be prepared to ask him questions about it in our Monday meeting. We thank you for your interest in making Doe Corporation more productive.
Example Letter #4
I just reviewed your innovative suggestion for reducing the number of inventories we take each month. John Doe and I meet each week, and I will bring your idea to his attention. I sincerely appreciate your interest in the future of our company.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Thank the employee for the suggestion. Make sure the employee understands which suggestion you are acknowledging.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Thank you for your suggestion about modifying our accounting procedures. It appears that your idea may save us all considerable time and money.
- Your suggestion about monitoring the progress of our development team might be just what we have been looking for.
- Thank you for taking the time to communicate your ideas on how we can make the retirement plan more appealing.
- Thanks for your suggestion regarding a more efficient way to handle mailings. We are always open to new ideas.
- Your idea for streamlining the admissions process is brilliant. I wish I had thought of it myself.
- I appreciate your suggestion that we eliminate the requirement for a second examination. I think everyone would benefit in the end.
- Employees' suggestions are always welcome. Thanks for your insights regarding how we might improve the safety of our machine shops.
- I commend you for your insight and initiative in submitting a plan for improving our marketing strategy.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- always welcome employees' suggestions
- am always grateful for
- appreciate your suggesting that
- are always looking for ways to
- are always open to new ideas
- commend you for your initiative
- for your suggestion
- for taking the time to
- for submitting your suggestion that we
- for being willing to
- for your insights into
- thank you for
- to build morale
- to streamline our processes
- to improve efficiency
- to share your insights
- to save time and money
- to communicate your ideas regarding
- to take the trouble to
- was pleased to receive your
- your suggestion regarding
2 Explain how you or others will consider the employee's suggestion, and when he or she can expect a reply.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I will discuss your idea with the vice presidents and get back to you with a decision within a week or two.
- I am sending copies of your proposal to each of the division heads. After they respond, I will let you know whether we will implement this procedure.
- I will run your suggestion past our legal counsel to see what the implications of such changes may be. I should be able to respond within the month.
- I will present your suggestion in our next executive meeting and let you know by memo how the committee wants to handle the issue.
- We will consider your suggestion along with several others at our next meeting and will announce our decision in the weekly newsletter.
- I have asked the foreman to consider your suggestion and respond to me by May 1. I will let you know what we decide as soon as possible after that.
- We considered this idea in the past, but turned it down because we lacked room for the expansion. Perhaps the time has come to reconsider. I will let you know what we decide in a week or two.
- We will notify you of our decision within thirty days.
- We have reviewed your suggestion thoroughly and have decided to implement it June 1.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- after thorough review
- along with several other suggestions
- as soon as possible
- at their next meeting
- have sent copies of your proposal to
- need to examine all the ramifications of
- next meeting will be on
- should be able to
- should reach a decision by
- to give you a response by
- will inform you
- will run your suggestion past
- will let you know
- will submit this to
- will get back to you
- will pass this on to
- will be announced on
- will discuss your idea with
- will be discussing this issue
- will notify you of our decision within
- will consider your suggestion
- will be discussed in our next
- will present your suggestion to
3 Express sincere appreciation for the employee's idea, insight, or suggestion.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- We depend on the efficiency of people like you to keep us competitive in today's market.
- I commend you for your thoughtful concern for the safety of your fellow workers.
- We greatly appreciate the time and effort you have put into this suggestion. We will award a cash prize of $200 to the employee who submits the best suggestion this month. Good luck!
- Thank you for helping us solve a problem that has troubled us for some time.
- Thanks for the innovative idea. I am placing a letter of commendation in your file, which I hope will benefit you in your career.
- Our sincere thanks. We will note your suggestion in our newsletter.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- commend you for your
- depend on employees like you
- for sharing your ideas
- for taking the time to
- greatly appreciate your
- helping us to find a solution to
- in recognition of
- of people like you
- our sincere thanks for
- placing a letter of commendation in your file
- rely on the innovative thinking of
- thank you for
- the thought and effort you put into
- the many contributions you make to
- to keep us competitive in today's market
- will note your suggestion in our newsletter
- your thoughtful concern
- your insight into
- your willingness to
- your dedication to