Acknowledge the Receipt of a Resume • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
Your response should assure the sender that you have received the resume and that you will consider it carefully.
How to write this acknowledgment letter:
- As you confirm that you have received the resume or letter, express appreciation for the applicant's interest.
- Explain what you will do with the resume, whether you will keep it on file, pass it on to a specific person, or discuss it with someone.
- Close with an expression of good will.
Example Letter #1
We have received your resume, portfolio, and application for employment. In order for us to move ahead in our selection process, could you please complete the enclosed questionnaire and return it to us by the end of the month? Thank you for your cooperation.
Example Letter #2
We acknowledge receipt of your resume and application for a position at Doe Software and sincerely appreciate your interest in our company.
We will screen all applicants and select candidates whose qualifications seem to meet our needs. We will carefully consider your application during the initial screening and will contact you if you are selected to continue in the recruitment process. We wish you every success.
Example Letter #3
Thank you for sending your resume in response to the Media Relations job posting. The deadline for applications is April 29. At that time, we will review all applications and invite the five most qualified to interview. We will notify all applicants of our decision no later than May 5. We appreciate your interest in Doe International. Best wishes in your job search.
Example Letter #4
We appreciate your interest in Doe, Inc. and acknowledge receipt of your resume. In the event that we wish to arrange a personal interview, we will contact you by mail or phone. Again, thank you for your interest in employment at Doe, Inc.
Example Letter #5
Thank you for your resume. We appreciate your interest in the Doe Corporation. Although your educational background and work experience are impressive, we regret that we do not currently have an opening appropriate for your qualifications. However, we anticipate the possibility of a suitable position becoming available during the next year. Your resume will remain on file in our human resources department, and we will contact you for an interview if a position does become available.
We feel honored to have the interest of an individual of your ability, and hope we have an opportunity to discuss your qualifications more fully.
Example Letter #6
We have received your inquiry regarding employment opportunities at Doe Corporation and are in the process of reviewing your qualifications against our current requirements. Should your background and experience meet the requirements of one of our job openings, we will contact you to request addition information. If we do not have an appropriate opening at this time, we will retain your inquiry for six months for future consideration.
Again, thank you for contacting Doe Corporation.
Example Letter #7
Thank you for applying for the Production Manager position at Doe Corporation. After reviewing resumes for this position, we identified those applicants whose skills and experience most closely matched the organization's needs. Unfortunately, you were not among those selected for further consideration.
Thank you again for the time you have given to Doe Corporation. We wish you success in your future career.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 As you confirm that you have received the resume or letter, express appreciation for the applicant's interest.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We have received your letter and resume expressing interest in working for Doe Pharmaceuticals.
- Thank you for your interest in the teaching position we announced in the newsletter last week.
- We appreciate your interest in Doe Construction, and will study your resume carefully.
- Thank you for submitting your resume in response to our announcement in the placement bulletin.
- The response to our announcement has been overwhelming. Thank you for sharing your resume with us.
- Thank you for sending us your resume.
- Thank you for sending us the information regarding your background and experience.
- We were delighted to receive your letter and resume yesterday afternoon.
- We appreciate your promptness in mailing us a copy of your resume.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- appreciate your promptness in
- appreciate your interest in
- for sending us your resume
- for submitting your resume
- for your interest in
- have received your resume
- in the position that we announced
- in affiliating yourself with
- in response to our
- in submitting your
- in the position of
- in the opening with
- in working for
- in the position that we posted
- outlining your training and work experience
- thank you for
- were pleased to receive
2 Explain what you will do with the resume, whether you will keep it on file, pass it on to a specific person, or discuss it with someone.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I would like to schedule an interview with you to discuss your qualifications in more detail. Please call my secretary to set up an appointment.
- Unfortunately, we do not have any openings at this time; however, we will keep your resume on file and contact you as soon as an opportunity arises.
- Our hiring committee will review all of the resumes we receive and will invite those applicants who appear to fit our needs to interviews next week.
- We have filled the position, but will keep your resume on file.
- We are scheduling interviews for next Saturday, June 5. We hope you will be able to meet with us then. My secretary will call to arrange an appointment.
- After the deadline for submitting resumes, we will interview the candidates whose qualifications most closely match our needs. Our secretary will call to set up appointments with those candidates.
- Since we do not anticipate any openings for several months, I am taking the liberty of sharing your resume with the manager of our subsidiary, who may be interested in your qualifications. If she has an opening, she will call you for an interview next week.
- I am enclosing a standard application form for you to fill out and return at your earliest convenience. After we receive your application, we will contact you as soon as we have an opening.
- Please fill out the enclosed application form and return it as soon as possible. After I receive it I will be able to set up an interview with the directors.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- after the deadline for
- after we receive your application
- am enclosing an application form
- are currently reviewing all resumes
- as soon as we have an opening
- as soon as possible
- at your earliest convenience
- do not anticipate any openings for
- do not have any openings
- have filled the position
- our hiring committee will meet
- please fill out the enclosed
- to discuss your resume
- when your application file is complete
- when a position becomes available
- whose background and training are
- whose qualifications most closely match the job requirements
- will keep your resume on file
- will contact you
- will review all the resumes we receive
- will then schedule an interview
- will call you as soon as
- will be reviewed
- will interview those candidates
- will invite those applicants
- will consider your resume
3 Close with an expression of good will.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- We appreciate being able to review your background and work experience.
- Thank you for your interest in Does.
- I look forward to meeting you.
- You should hear from us within two weeks.
- We appreciate your interest in being affiliated with our company.
- Thank you for sending us this information for our action.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- appreciate your interest in
- best wishes for
- can expect to hear from us by
- in all your endeavors
- in your job search
- in being affiliated with our company
- look forward to
- new positions will be available
- remain in touch
- thank you for
- to reviewing your resume
- to a new hiring season
- will contact you as soon as
- will be pleased to inform you if
- wish you success in
- wish you all the best in