Example Letter #1
Eric Doe and Ashley Johnson would like you to know they have broken their engagement to be married on January 15. They feel they have made the right decision.
They sincerely appreciate the kindness you have shown, especially during these past months.
Example Letter #2
Ashley and I wish to let you know that we have broken our engagement and will not marry, as previously announced. We are both comfortable with this decision.
Thanks for your understanding.
Example Letter #3
Ashley Johnson and Eric Doe announce that they will not be married on the fifth of October of this year, as had been planned.
We appreciate your understanding and sincerely regret any inconvenience.
Example Letter #4
Eric and Ashley would like you to know that their wedding has been postponed. They have decided that they need more time to prepare for marriage and a life together. They appreciate the support and love of all of their friends and family, and hope you will understand their decision.
Send this letter to persons who have already received an announcement of the engagement or the wedding. It is inappropriate to elaborate on the reasons for the broken engagement.
1 State in simple, direct terms that the engagement has been cancelled.
- Ashley Johnson and Eric Doe would like you to know that their marriage scheduled for the fifteenth of November, nineteen hundred ninety-six will not take place.
- Eric and I have decided that we will always be good friends but not spouses, so as of last week we have broken our engagement.
- Mr. and Mrs. Robert Johnson announce that the marriage of their daughter Ashley to Eric Doe has been cancelled.
- Eric and I have decided that we will not be married, as previously announced.
- This is to inform you that the engagement of Ashley Johnson to Eric Doe has been cancelled.
- after careful consideration
- after much discussion
- announce that the marriage of their
- apologize for any inconvenience
- as of last week
- as previously announced
- decided not to marry
- engagement has been broken off
- have broken off their
- have decided that
- have broken our engagement
- marriage has been cancelled
- marriage will not take place
- their marriage scheduled for
- to inform you that the
- which was scheduled for
- will not be married
- would like you to know that
2 If the reader is a close associate, consider adding a brief personal comment to ease any concerns.
- I have appreciated your friendship and look forward to continuing our relationship. I feel this decision is in the best interest of everyone concerned.
- Thanks for being happy for me when I got engaged. You can still be happy for me because I feel this change of plans is for the best.
- I believe we are both relieved now that we have made this decision. I'm sure our relationship will continue, but on a different level.
- Thanks for understanding.
- I've appreciated your support and kindness. It's friends like you who are so valued at times when we must make difficult decisions.
- appreciate your support and kindness
- are doing the right thing
- both feel that we
- both feel relieved
- can still be happy for us
- change of plans is for the best
- continuing our friendship
- has been a difficult decision
- have appreciated your friendship
- look forward to
- not been an easy decision
- not a step to take lightly
- reevaluated our decision
- remain good friends
- still think the world of each other
- such a big step to take
- thanks for being understanding
- would be a mistake to