Example Letter #1
We are pleased to announce the graduation of our daughter Jane from the Doe Music Conservatory, and invite you to join us for an evening of celebration at the Conservatory ballroom on May 28 at 7:00 p.m.
Jane is already reaping rich rewards through her music. As one of the best musicians in her graduating class, she will soon begin a performing tour through most of the European capitals. We hope you can join with us to give her a good send-off.
Example Letter #2
John and I invite you to a party celebrating the graduation of our daughter, Mary, from Doe Dental School. We are having an informal barbecue in our backyard on Friday, March 10 at 7:00 p.m.
Please come and join in the festivities. Mary has worked hard and would appreciate your attendance.
Example Letter #3
Mr. John Doe and Ms. Jane Johnson announce the graduation of their daughter, Dr. Mary Doe, Ph.D., from Springfield University. A reception will be held in Mary's honor on June 12, beginning at 3:00 p.m. in our home.
Please celebrate with us in support of Mary's hard work and outstanding accomplishment.
Example Letter #4
John and Ms. Jane Doe are pleased to announce the graduation of their daughter, Janet, from the Air Force Academy. We are holding a reception in her honor on Friday, May 22 beginning at 4:00 p.m. in the Blue Room of the Officers' Club.
Janet has achieved high honors for her training in air traffic control. We are proud of our daughter and would like you to join us in wishing her well as she begins her tour of duty at Springfield Air Force Base next month.
Example Letter #5
We thought James was going to be a perpetual student! But he's finally graduating with honors on August 15 from the University of Springfield with a PhD in archeology. Come join us in celebrating this happy event.
We will be holding a party for him in our cabin (see map over) on August 20 beginning at 5:00 p.m. Just come prepared to hear lots of information about Indian artifacts while you enjoy the barbecue. See you then!
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Explain what is taking place, and invite the reader(s) to participate.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We are happy to announce that Eric will graduate from Doe College on May 26. Commencement services will be at 10:00 a.m. in the Doe Auditorium. We will serve a luncheon at our home afterwards, and we hope you can join us.
- John and I are planning a special get-together to celebrate Ashley's graduation from nursing school. We will meet at the Doe Inn at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, May 26. We hope you can join us.
- We are pleased to announce that our son Eric will graduate on May 26. We are inviting friends to an informal get-together that evening at 7:00 p.m. in our back yard.
- Following in the footsteps of her sisters, Ashley will graduate from Doe College on May 26. You are invited to share this celebration with us. Exercises begin at 10:00 a.m. in the Doe Activities Center.
- We are giving a party at our house beginning at 9:00 p.m. next Friday, May 26, to celebrate Fred's graduation. We hope you can make it.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- an informal get-together
- are invited to a
- commencement exercises will start at
- following in the footsteps of
- happy to announce that
- honor his achievement
- hope you can make it
- join our celebration
- planning a special celebration
- services begin at
- to share this celebration with her
- to celebrate his graduation
- to celebrate her graduation from
- very pleased to announce
- will meet at the
- hope you can join us at the
- will have lunch at
- will be held at
- will graduate from
- will be holding a party
2 Comment on the impact or significance of the occasion.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- We are delighted to see this day come after all his hard work and sacrifice.
- She has worked hard and will graduate with honors. We are very proud of her.
- He has accepted a position with the Doe accounting firm in Springfield, so he will be relocating. We hope to give him a good send-off with our little gathering.
- He is the latest in a long line of Does to graduate. We are delighted that he and his brothers and sisters have done so well.
- She is first in the family to receive a law degree. She's an inspiration to us all.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- all her hard work
- all the sacrifices are worthwhile
- delighted by her achievement
- delighted to see this day
- fine example for his younger brothers
- first in our family to receive
- give her a good send-off
- has accepted a position with
- has not come easily
- has overcome several hardships
- has worked very hard
- have all done so well
- in the nature of a farewell
- inspiration to us all
- kept up the family tradition of
- last in a long line of
- started a new tradition of
- very proud of him
- very special day for us
- will be relocating
- will graduate with honors