Announce a Price Decrease • Example Letters and Guides
This is a good news letter! While it communicates welcome information, it can also reinforce the idea that you are serving the needs of your customers in a fair and responsible way. Use it to build confidence and good will.
How to write this announcement letter:
- Announce the price decrease and indicate what has made it possible. Indicate an effective date, if needed.
- Explain which products or services are affected.
- Express appreciation and good will.
Example Letter #1
Since the government has eased import tariffs on wool products, we have negotiated a new agreement with our Australian supplier and are pleased to pass the savings on to you. We anticipate that the prices on most winter clothing will be reduced by about 5%.
You will receive a new price catalog in the near future. In the meantime, rest assured that the reduced prices are in effect for all orders postmarked after September 15. It is a pleasure to meet your needs for quality winter wear at the lowest possible prices.
Example Letter #2
Doe Fruit Co-op has purchased the entire apple crop of one of our local farmers, which means we can reduce the price of apples by at least 30% throughout the harvest season and into the winter months. Both cooking and eating apples are included in this reduction. This is a great time to make applesauce, bake a pie, or simply enjoy a nice, crisp apple. Come see us for all your fruit and vegetable needs.
Example Letter #3
We received a large allocation of the new Doe 2000 computers, so we are cutting our prices to only $1,800 for purchases of five or more units. Individual units with the basic configuration are also available at reduced prices. This is a great time to buy.
Example Letter #4
Because of rising costs, we find it necessary to increase the rent on your apartment. Factors such as increased labor and materials costs and skyrocketing utility bills have raised the cost of maintaining the apartment community at an acceptable level. Therefore, your rent for the above apartment will be increased to $650.00 per month commencing September 1 of this year. We trust you will understand the need for this adjustment. We greatly appreciate your residency.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Announce the price decrease and indicate what has made it possible. Indicate an effective date, if needed.
Sentences for Step 1
- Because the new Doe tires have met with such success, we have negotiated a new contract with the manufacturer and are able to pass on the savings to you.
- Now that the embargo has been lifted, we are able to buy raw materials directly from the plantations. This translates into savings for our customers! Effective June 1 the wholesale price of all our rubber products will be reduced 10%.
- Since I have moved my salon from the office setting to my home, I am able to reduce the price of massages to $30.00 per hour.
- Because you are buying in volume, we are able to reduce the unit price by 15%.
- Since the new models will be arriving soon, we are offering a 50% reduction on most of our existing stock.
- Thanks to an effective sales campaign, orders have increased dramatically, allowing us to buy our materials in bulk at lower prices. We are pleased to pass the savings on to you.
Phrases for Step 1
- a price rollback on
- able to reduce the prices of
- agreement with the manufacturer
- because of the outstanding success of
- consolidation of our operations
- embargo has been lifted
- greatly increased buying power
- have negotiated a new contract with
- lower overhead
- made a special purchase of
- mass production has led to a price decrease
- moved our offices to
- new models have been released
- pass the savings on to
- permitting bulk buying of
- price will decrease as of
- qualify for a special volume discount
- recent merger with
- reduced unit price
- reduced cost to us
- signed a more favorable price contract
- volume you have been buying
- will decrease the dealer's price of our
2 Explain which products or services are affected.
Sentences for Step 2
- Enclosed is a new price list for the items affected.
- All of these items have been amended in the new catalog accompanying this letter.
- All models, except those already reduced in our July sale, will be affected
- This includes all types of massages.
- We hope this change will stay in effect on all cut flowers, at least until the end of the year.
Phrases for Step 2
- affects all orders placed before
- all models are affected
- can guarantee these prices until
- changes are already shown in
- enclosed is our latest price list
- every price has been cut
- expect to hold these prices until
- for a limited time, all our
- may want to consolidate smaller orders to qualify
- now is a great time to upgrade your
- review the enclosed product and pricing sheet
- see the amended price list
- the items affected are listed on
- the price decrease affects the
- the new catalog is enclosed
- there will never be a better time to buy a
- this offer will expire on
- this will affect all orders over
- will stay in effect until
- will receive your new catalog this week
3 Express appreciation and good will.
Sentences for Step 3
- It is always a pleasure to serve you.
- We are pleased that you have had such success with our product line.
- The cooperation of customers like you makes it possible for us to keep prices as low as possible as we build volume.
- Thank you for all you do in promoting our product! We look forward to another good year.
- We hope to bring you more good news in the near future.
Phrases for Step 3
- a way of saying thank you to
- appreciate your business
- appreciate the opportunity to
- are pleased that you
- are overjoyed to be able to
- are waiting to hear from you
- are one of our most valued customers
- have been gratified to
- hope you will take advantage of
- it is always a pleasure to
- look forward to hearing from you
- look forward to receiving your next order
- look forward to another good year
- success with our product line
- this unusual opportunity
- to offer you these savings
- to our loyal customers
- to hear of your success
- trust that you will be as pleased as we are with
- will contribute to your continued success
- will be watching the mail for your next order
- have enjoyed such success