Example Letter #1
Our warmest congratulations to Eric Johnson, who recently received the industry's award for the best TV commercial of the year. A recent graduate from the Doe Academy, Eric joined us in 2018 and immediately attracted the attention of writers and artists with his avant-guard style. He says he enjoys working in our country setting, where he and his bride can enjoy the inspiration of the mountains.
The award is given each year for the commercial that industry writers and artists vote as most effective in the use of visual media. Eric will receive his award at the annual banquet of screen and television writers in February.
Our best wishes to Eric and to all our writers who set today's standard of excellence. Your futures look very bright.
Example Letter #2
The Springfield Bowling Association has named John Doe "Bowler of the Year."
He earned this distinction by bowling two straight 300-point games during the statewide bowling tournament in Springfield this past week. John received a plaque and a new bowling ball during the awards banquet Saturday night. He also received a check to cover his expenses at the national tournament in Chicago.
We extend our congratulations to John for his achievement and urge all employees to inform the editor of our newsletter of their outside accomplishments.
Example Letter #3
Our very own Jane Doe has just been awarded an honorary Ph.D. by Springfield University for her work in musical education.
Jane has taught music with us for the last seventeen years, and has inspired many of her students to pursue musical careers. The University presented Jane with this award "For Exemplary Leadership and Education of Children through Music." Her revolutionary teaching techniques have gained Jane national attention as well, with several education journals and two popular magazines running complimentary profiles on her in the last five years.
The presentation of this award will take place at Springfield University's commencement exercises on June 1, at 2:00 p.m. in the Springfield Center Arena. Congratulations, Jane! Your example is most inspiring to all of us in the district.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Name the employee and identify the achievement or honor. Biographical details may be added, but they should be brief and relevant to the occasion.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Robert Johnson has been chosen "Innovator of the Year" for his creative contributions to the software industry. Robert is a graduate of Doe Academy and has worked in the Research and Development Division of Doe International for five years.
- It is with great pleasure that I announce that Anne Doe, our personnel director, has been elected to the local school board. Anne has been active for several years in promoting educational opportunities for disadvantaged youth, and is recognized statewide for her contributions to higher education.
- We are happy to announce that our own John Doe is being honored by his Alma Mater as a distinguished alumnus. John graduated magna cum laude from Doe Academy in 1980, and has been involved in numerous volunteer refugee programs since then. Most recently he spent his vacation assisting the United Nations relief efforts in Africa. John is one in a million.
- Our congratulations to Michael Luthy on the occasion of his graduation from Doe Academy. Michael joined our company two years ago and has been attending evening classes to complete his B.A. degree.
- It gives me great pleasure to announce that Anne Doe has been chosen Kansas' "Mother of the Year." Anne, who is our personnel director, is also the mother of five children and a single parent since the death of her husband, John, five years ago. In addition, she is an accomplished violinist who has played with the State Symphony Orchestra.
- I am pleased to announce this year's "Excellence in Education" award winner: Ms. Jane Doe.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- am pleased to announce
- are happy to announce
- for her creative contributions to
- for his contributions to
- gives me great pleasure to announce
- has been involved in
- has been named
- has been chosen to receive
- has been chosen as our
- has been elected to
- have just learned that
- honorary recipient of
- is proud to announce that
- is honored to announce that
- is being honored by
- is an accomplished
- it is with great pleasure that
- let you know the good news that
- on the occasion of her
- our congratulations to
- prestigious award
- recently celebrated
- recognized throughout the state for
- very pleased to inform you
- was selected as
- will be the recipient of
2 Explain the reasons for the award or honor.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- The "Innovator of the Year" award is given each December to the engineer whose creativity in the past year has contributed most to the development of successful electronic components. Industry analysts consider John's work on the new chip the most promising development in years.
- She ran a vigorous campaign and won the confidence of voters by her sensible approach to solving current financial problems.
- The "Distinguished Alumnus" award is given at homecoming each year to a person who has given extended distinguished service to a profession or cause. John has given consistent service to refugee centers around the world, and most recently organized a flight of volunteer doctors to refugee centers in Africa to provide medical care for victims.
- We honor Michael for his achievement because we know how difficult it is to work full-time and still graduate with a 3.8 GPA.
- She was selected from a field of over 300 contestants who displayed their talents, education, and commitment to nurturing successful families.
- Jane's efforts have positively affected student-faculty relations, and have improved communication throughout the university.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- approach to solving
- based on a nomination from
- blue-ribbon selection committee
- consistently exceeded production goals
- contributions to the community
- criteria for selection included
- efforts have positively affected
- exceeded sales goals by
- extended distinguished service to
- has contributed most to
- has earned the company
- has shown the real meaning of
- highest award given by the
- improved communication throughout
- is awarded each year to
- most promising development
- on the recommendations of
- positively affected
- projects have included
- tireless work with
- was selected from a field of
- won the confidence of
3 If applicable, provide information about presentation ceremonies or other related events.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Robert will be honored with a plaque and a cash award at the company Christmas party.
- Anne will assume her duties effective January 1.
- John will receive his award at the Alumni Dinner, Friday afternoon, before the homecoming game.
- Michael will receive his degree in the commencement exercises held Friday evening at 7:00 p.m. in the College auditorium.
- Last year's winner, Beth Luthy, crowned the new "Mother of the Year" in a ceremony carried by local television stations last evening.
- Jane will receive a letter of commendation and a $500 award to be used on her research.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- a presentation dinner
- a dinner to be held at
- announce the award to the press
- annual convention of
- at the commencement exercises
- award ceremony is
- awards will be presented at
- by invitation only
- ceremony carried by
- having a reception for
- in a ceremony at
- local television stations
- national television
- photographs and a press release
- presentation ceremony will be
- recognition banquet
- the annual banquet of
- the festival ball
- will be honored at
- will receive her
- will be formally honored at
- will assume his duties
4 Extend congratulations and encourage others to achieve in the same way.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- We express our warm congratulations to Robert on this fine achievement, and encourage everyone to let their best ideas be heard. We look forward to giving this award to someone in our company again next year.
- Our congratulations to Anne! We encourage all employees to make their voices heard in the political process.
- We express our sincere congratulations to John on this much deserved honor. His example should motivate us all to be more involved in a good cause.
- Our best wishes to Michael on his graduation! This event should give encouragement to many others in the same situation.
- Congratulations! You are an inspiration to us all!
- Congratulations, John, on your outstanding performance! I am sure your colleagues will want to thank you as well.
- Join me in congratulating John on his fine performance and outstanding sales record.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- an inspiration to us all
- be involved in good causes
- be sure to congratulate
- best wishes to
- colleagues will personally
- encourage all employees to
- extend our warmest congratulations to
- give encouragement to many others
- has set an excellent example for us all
- join me in congratulating
- keep this award in our company
- make your voices heard
- mark this significant achievement
- motivate us all to be
- others in the same situation
- our congratulations to
- outstanding performance
- sincere congratulations to
- symbolizes our recognition of
- take the time to congratulate
- this fine achievement