Announce a Drug Testing Program • Example Letters and Guides
This announcement is an authoritative statement of policy. It should leave no doubt or questions regarding expectations or consequences. A clearly stated policy will save many hours of arguments and appeals.
How to write this announcement letter:
- Announce the program, explain the reasons for it, and state when the testing will begin.
- Explain how the testing will take place, and give assurance that test results will be kept confidential.
- Emphasize the need for a drug-free working environment, and comment on what persons who test positive can expect.
Example Letter #1
We regret that it has become necessary to take serious measures to ensure that we all enjoy a safe and healthy work environment. Effective January 1, we will begin a mandatory drug testing program for all employees.
We have engaged an independent laboratory to visit our site to supervise random testing throughout the year. Each randomly selected employee will be required to provide samples (e.g., urine, blood) to be tested for the presence of illegal drugs. Your cooperation will be appreciated and all results will be kept confidential.
Persons who test positive will be placed on indefinite leave, pending a thorough physical and psychological examination. With proper medical attention and rehabilitation, termination can be avoided in some cases. We cannot emphasize too strongly that substance abuse has no place in Doe Corporation.
Example Letter #2
Doe Incorporated will begin random drug testing after August 30. We feel strongly that our employees must be drug-free. If they are not, they need to seek treatment or different employment. Either blood or urine samples will be collected to trace alcohol or drug use. All results will be strictly confidential.
If you test positive, a representative from Human Resources will contact you. He or she will help you arrange a treatment program and rehabilitation schedule. If you are unwilling to pursue treatment or fail to meet the requirements of treatment, you will need to seek employment elsewhere. Doe Incorporated is committed to being part of a drug-free America.
Example Letter #3
It is my duty to inform you that our parent company, Doe International, is instituting a mandatory drug testing program for all employees. Beginning November 15, all persons will be required to complete random drug-screening interviews and to provide urine samples upon request of their department's safety officer.
An independent laboratory will process the samples and all results will be kept strictly confidential. Employees testing positive for illegal drug use will be placed on probation pending negative results in further testing. Doe International and its subsidiaries are committed to maintaining a safe and drug-free workplace.
Example Letter #4
It has become necessary for the Doe Corporation to institute a drug-testing program to ensure a safe work environment for all of our employees. Every employee will participate in testing that will be conducted at random on a monthly basis by Doe Laboratory. The enclosed brochure explains how the testing will be handled; the results of these tests will be kept completely confidential. Any employee who tests positive for the use of a controlled substance will be contacted by the director of personnel for a personal interview. Possible options the employee may consider will be discussed at that time.
We regret the necessity of taking this action; however, we are confident we can rely on the cooperation of our employees with this new policy.
Example Letter #5
Effective immediately, all employees of Doe Manufacturing will be required to participate in random testing for the use of any drug that may impair job performance. Recent events have prompted the establishment of this policy to ensure a safe working environment for all. The accompanying letter explains the details of how and when this testing will be conducted. Any employee who tests positive will be informed by his or her supervisor and given a chance to resolve this problem. Anyone who tests positive for drug use twice will be terminated.
We must maintain a drug-free workplace for the protection of all. Any questions about this policy may be directed to John Doe in the Human Resources Office.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Announce the program, explain the reasons for it, and state when the testing will begin.
Sentences for Step 1
- Our passengers rely on the skill and good judgment of our drivers to get them to their destinations safely. For this reason we must ensure that no one operates a vehicle while impaired by drugs. Consequently, a mandatory program of drug testing will begin Monday, July 1.
- Our mandatory drug testing program will begin Monday, July 1, and will involve all employees. Since we all handle hazardous materials, it is important that we take every preventative measure to ensure a safe and drug-free work environment.
- Although we have resisted it in the past, it is now clear that we need a mandatory drug testing program to ensure a drug-free environment. Our program will begin July 1, under the direction of Dr. Doe.
- In order to ensure a safe work environment, we will begin a mandatory drug testing program, effective July 1.
- Effective July 1, all employees will be subject to random testing for drug use. We regret having to implement this program, but having a drug-free environment is critical.
- Recent events have prompted our reconsideration of the need for drug testing. We will begin a mandatory drug testing program for all employees, effective July 1.
Phrases for Step 1
- a safe work environment
- are not impaired by drug usage
- ensure that all employees are drug-free
- ensure that vehicle operators
- handle hazardous materials
- has been authorized
- have no alternative but to
- have resisted this step in the past
- is for the safety and health of our
- mandatory drug testing program
- mandatory program of drug testing
- now clear that we need a
- peak performance
- recent events have prompted
- reconsidered the need for
- regret having to implement this program
- rely on the skill and good judgment of
- safety is paramount
- subject to random testing for drug use
- take every measure to
- testing all employees for drug use
- to ensure a safe and drug-free environment
- will begin on
- will involve all employees
2 Explain how the testing will take place, and give assurance that test results will be kept confidential.
Sentences for Step 2
- Employees may be requested to provide samples (e.g., urine, blood) to be tested for the presence of drugs, including alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, amphetamines, etc. We cannot tolerate on the job use of substances that impair an employee's performance. Results will be kept confidential.
- The attached pamphlet explains how the testing will take place. The results will be returned to each employee individually, and I will be notified of any tests that turn out positive. I assure you that strict confidentiality will be maintained.
- Tests will be conducted randomly throughout the week. Supervisors will give time off to persons selected for testing. I know this is an inconvenience, but we will all benefit from a healthy work environment. We appreciate your cooperation and will keep and all results confidential. We cannot emphasize too strongly that substance abuse has no place in our company.
Phrases for Step 2
- any drug that may impair job performance
- asked to provide urine samples
- attached pamphlet explains
- authorized by the agreement you signed
- blood or urine samples
- cannot emphasize too strongly that
- cannot tolerate the presence of
- details will be outlined at
- employees may be requested to
- explains how the testing will take place
- held in the strictest confidence
- is an inconvenience
- of positive results
- random selection of persons
- results will be returned to
- results will be kept confidential
- strict confidentiality
- tested for the presence of drugs
- to each employee individually
- to provide samples to be tested
- will appreciate your cooperation
- will be analyzed by
- will all benefit from
- will be conducted randomly
- will give time off to
- will be notified of
3 Emphasize the need for a drug-free working environment, and comment on what persons who test positive can expect.
Sentences for Step 3
- Persons who test positive will be not be able to return to work until a reassessment of their situation is made and the problem is resolved.
- Positive drug tests will require rehabilitation or termination. Questions about this policy or associated programs should be directed to John Doe.
- Persons who test positive will be placed on indefinite leave, pending a thorough physical and psychological examination. Experience indicates that with proper medical attention and rehabilitation, termination for substance abuse can be avoided in many cases.
- As you know, positive test results will result in termination. We simply cannot risk the health and lives of our technical staff or the reputation of our company.
- Because drugs are a destructive force in a person's personal and professional relationships, we feel an obligation to all our employees to maintain a drug-free environment. Persons who test positive will be terminated, or allowed to work on probation when subsequent testing proves negative.
Phrases for Step 3
- cannot risk the lives and health of
- employment reassessment
- if you have any questions about
- maintain a drug-free environment
- measures for rehabilitation or termination
- not willing to compromise
- pending investigation
- persons who test positive
- placed on indefinite leave
- positive results will lead to
- problem has been resolved
- questions you might have about the program
- refer any questions you may have to
- should be directed to
- situation has been assessed
- termination may be avoided
- treatment and/or rehabilitation
- until testing proves negative
- will not be able to return to work until
- will be happy to answer any questions
- will result in termination
- work on probation