Example Letter #1
Enclosed is a check for $100.00 to complete payment on invoice #123. This check should cover the entire overdue balance. Please accept our apologies for this oversight. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience it may have caused you.
Example Letter #2
By now you are aware that we did not make our March rent payment of $650. We have scrambled for weeks to meet our expenses, but will not be able to get the payment to you until March 20. We apologize for our late payment and hope you can work with us during this difficult time.
We appreciate all you do for us and want you to know we could not ask for a finer landlord. Thank you for your understanding. Please look for the check to arrive in the mail soon.
Example Letter #3
I am sorry that you have not yet received my payment this month. I recently found an error in my account and didn't want to send the payment until I was sure that check would not be returned. The bank has since accepted responsibility for the error, and I plan to have the funds transferred to you immediately.
The bank has assured me that the circumstances that led to the oversight are unusual and it is unlikely that this will ever happen again. I have been happy with our business relationship and trust that this incident will not jeopardize our future dealings.
Example Letter #4
Please find enclosed with this letter a check for two months' payment, plus a late fee. I am sorry for the delay, but I was unable to send last month's payment on time due to unexpected medical expenses. I appreciate the opportunity to do business with you and ask for your understanding during this temporary financial difficulty.
Example Letter #5
Enclosed is a check for half the amount of rent I owe you. I expect to be able to pay the outstanding balance, including the late fee, on or before the 20th. I am sorry to be so late with my payment, and hope that this has not caused you any great inconvenience. My hours at work were cut unexpectedly, leaving me short of money this week. I am just starting another job and will be able to pay on time in the future.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 State what has or is being done about the outstanding payment.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Enclosed is our check for $330.
- Please find the enclosed check for $41.98. It covers our bill from last month for account #123.
- Enclosed is my credit card number. Please use it to pay this month's rent.
- Until now we were simply unable to pay our bills.
- I am writing to inform you that we will be three days late on our compressor payment. You will get our check on Wednesday. Thank you for your patience.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- attached is my check for
- attached is my check for
- called my bank immediately
- covering the extra charges for
- enclosing a check
- have enclosed an additional fee
- have now corrected this error
- have enclosed a money order to cover the cost
- have enclosed our check for
- immediately deposited ample funds to cover the amount of
- it covers our bill from
- our accounting department failed to notify
- please find enclosed my personal check in the amount of
- please find the enclosed check for
- remailed the payment
- should get it today
- the letter pertains to an unpaid bill for
- the full amount still owed to you
- the check is now in the mail
- the envelope was returned to our office
- the bank will send you a note of apology
- this check should cover the full amount
- to cover the cost
- will get our check on
- will start paying on
- writing to inform you that
2 Apologize for your lateness.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- We apologize for this late payment. Since this is our first payment under the new billing cycle, could you please waive the late fee?
- We apologize for this late payment. We have had a series of problems with our computer that we have now corrected.
- I hope my late payment has not caused any inconvenience and apologize if it has.
- We apologize for this unfortunate set of circumstances. If you have any questions, please contact our lawyer at 555-5555.
- We apologize for these circumstances. We will be able to begin paying creditors at the beginning of next month. Please bear with us until then.
- We apologize for this inconvenience.
- Thank you for your patience. We are sorry that this payment is late.
- I assure you that this was an exceptional circumstance. We are committed to follow the payment schedule that we worked out. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- accept my thanks and apologies
- apologize for this late payment
- apologize if it has caused any inconvenience
- apologize for any concern that
- apologize for the inconvenience
- apologize for the oversight
- apologize for any unpleasantness
- apologize for not writing sooner
- are sorry that this payment is late
- hope that the delay has not caused you any inconvenience
- inadvertently underpaid the balance due
- note of apology for
- offer my apologies for the mix-up
- our first payment under the new billing cycle
- please bear with us until
- please accept our apology for the error
- regret that we
- sorry you had to wait so long for
- sorry to have caused you inconvenience
- this was an exceptional circumstance
- will be able to begin paying
- wish to apologize
3 End with a positive statement.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I assure you this will not happen again. It has always been a pleasure banking with Doe Bank.
- We value our relationship with your firm and we look forward to doing continued business with you on this project.
- Since this was a bizarre occurrence, I can assure you that future payments will be on time. Thank you for your understanding.
- I assure you we are committed to making prompt and timely payments. Thank you for your understanding.
- Thank you for your patience. I assure you that this was an exceptional circumstance which we will not repeat.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- assured that the check will be
- assure you that all future payments will be on time
- assure you that this was an exceptional circumstance
- been a pleasure doing business with
- future payments will be on time
- assure you this will not happen again
- it has always been a pleasure
- look forward to doing continued business with you
- our relationship with your firm
- thank you for your understanding
- value our relationship with
- value your goodwill
- will continue to recommend