Example Letter #1
All I can do is offer my sincere apologies for missing our appointment this afternoon. Of all this year's meetings, this was the one I wanted and needed to attend. I had no idea we would be held up in the holiday traffic for so long. I have resisted buying a cellular phone, but today's frustration has convinced me that I must get one. I hope I can still have a chance to present my proposal to you and Mr. Doe. My sincere thanks for your patience and consideration.
Example Letter #2
Please forgive me for missing our Tuesday appointment. I realize that you had to rearrange your schedule only to be frustrated. Ever since we agreed to hold the meeting, I have looked forward to exchanging ideas and deciding on a plan of action. Somehow, I thought the meeting was at 11 a.m. so I spent the time in my office preparing a presentation. From now on, I will check my calendar first thing in the morning. Can we reschedule? I am still very interested in meeting with you. And again, please forgive my temporary absent-mindedness.
Example Letter #3
I apologize for coming late to the division meeting this morning. One of my staff came to my office with a serious personal problem and I had to make a choice. I stayed to talk with him. I realize that I missed an opportunity to give my report. I hope I can still give it in our next meeting. I know it must be frustrating for you to not have my information at the outset. I fully support the division's initiatives and want to do my best to contribute to them.
Example Letter #4
I am sorry I missed our appointment yesterday. I had been looking forward to our meeting today, but when I rechecked my calendar I discovered that the meeting was, in fact, scheduled for yesterday.
I realize how busy you are and that your time is valuable, but I hope this oversight will not prevent us from rescheduling our appointment. Meeting with you means a great deal to me, and I assure you, this will not happen again.
Write this letter as soon as possible after the incident. Don't apologize unless you plan to take full responsibility, and don't blame anyone.
1 Begin with a straightforward apology.
- I am sorry I missed our appointment Friday. I know it was an important one.
- John, I would like to apologize for missing the staff meeting today.
- I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused by being late to this morning's staff meeting.
- I am sorry that conflicting schedules kept me from keeping our appointment yesterday.
- I apologize that I made people wait for me to deliver my presentation.
- Jane, I am sorry I was late for the training session this morning.
- John, I am sorry that I was late for our lunch last Friday.
- Jane, I apologize that I had to be absent from this morning's meeting.
- apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused by being late
- apologize for missing
- express regret for not being able to attend
- extend my apologies
- forgive me for missing our lunch
- missed my appointment
- hope you will accept my apology
- last minute change of plans
- made the mistake of
- made people wait for me
- no excuse could possibly convey my regret
- oversight caused
- please accept my apology for not meeting you
- sincerest apologies
- regretfully, I was out of the office when you called
- sorry I missed our appointment on
- sorry that other commitments
- understand your concern with my being late
- was absent from this morning's meeting
- was late for the training session
2 Indicate that you understand the seriousness of your absence and that you value your relationship with the reader. You may want to explain your lateness, but don't blame anyone.
- I was very disappointed that I had to miss our appointment because of other commitments.
- Being late for this meeting was the last thing I wanted to happen. Of all the mornings to find the interstate highway closed! Please accept my sincerest apologies.
- I understand that I missed an important meeting this morning. I apologize that I let you and the company down.
- Our meeting is still a priority with me. Please contact my secretary and make another appointment. I look forward to getting together.
- I am especially embarrassed about this because I value our friendship so much. Please forgive me.
- I value punctuality and assure you this will not happen again.
- I was wrong. I have no excuse. I assure you this will not happen again.
- I didn't know that this morning's meeting was a formal meeting meant to convene at exactly 10:00 a.m. I was under the impression that it was an informal discussion group. I was late because I was working on the project discussed, and I wanted to be ready to share the latest developments. I assure you that I am still firmly committed to the Doe contract and apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused.
- all flights were canceled out of
- am especially embarrassed about this
- am very disappointed that
- an accident on the freeway kept me from
- anxious to talk with you about
- apologize that I
- ask for your understanding
- assure you that
- didn't realize that the meeting was
- feel bad about forgetting to
- had to miss our appointment because
- had to forsake several obligations
- had been informed that
- have briefed me on concerns
- look forward to our getting together
- missed an important meeting
- problem required my presence
- really have no excuse
- still a priority
- still firmly committed to
- the last thing I wanted to happen
- value our friendship
- wanted to be ready to share my ideas on
- was working on the
- was under the impression that
3 Acknowledge your reader's frustration, if appropriate, and end with a positive statement.
- I assure you this will not happen again. I will be prepared and on time for tomorrow's meeting.
- I intend to stay in town the night before our next meeting so neither of us need be concerned with delays in traffic.
- I am very excited to do my part in our weekly planning sessions and am eager for the next one on Wednesday.
- I know missing a meeting could appear to be a lack of commitment, but I missed the meeting because I was preparing graphs for the Doe proposal.
- I know what it is like to be stood up for an important appointment, so I sincerely appreciate your patience and ask your forgiveness.
- I appreciate the professional manner in which you handled the incident this morning. I apologize if my tardiness put you in an awkward position with the manager.
- I understand that such inconveniences can be very frustrating.
- If you are willing, I would like to reschedule for Wednesday. This time please let me pay for lunch.
- am as disappointed as you are that
- appreciate your support
- could we reschedule our meeting for
- enjoy a leisurely lunch
- get to together at your convenience
- have learned from this mistake
- hope to make it up to you
- know I caused you frustration
- know missing a meeting can make it look like
- let us reschedule for
- sincerely appreciate your patience with
- sorry my tardiness put you on the spot
- sorry my tardiness embarrassed
- such inconveniences can be very frustrating
- thank you for the professional manner
- thanks for your understanding
- will be prepared and on time at