Example Letter #1
I know we are scheduled to see the next football game together, but my mother is coming for a visit the same weekend so I will have to cancel this time.
I do look forward to the homecoming game with you the following week.
Example Letter #2
This morning I received notice that my travel itinerary has been changed and I will therefore not be here to attend the next monthly staff meeting. Instead of returning Friday, the first of October, I will not get back until the following Monday.
In my absence, my administrative assistant, John Doe, will distribute copies of my sales report to each attendee at the meeting. I look forward to joining all of you at the November meeting.
Example Letter #3
Due to conflicting schedules I will not be able to attend the safety meeting planned for this Thursday. Much as I would like to I cannot be in both Springfield and Centerville at the same time. Please take careful notes. I would like to review them, perhaps over lunch on Friday.
Example Letter #4
Please accept my sincere apology for missing our lunch date yesterday. In the middle of the rush to meet our printing deadline, I overlooked our appointment. Could we make another date for next week? I enjoy our time together and it gives me a much-needed break from the stress here at the office. Let's meet at Doe's Cafe at noon next Wednesday; it will be my treat.
Whether you have missed an appointment, or will miss an appointment in the future, a note to the party with whom you were to meet, explaining why you had to miss or will have to miss your appointment, is a courtesy that will be appreciated. It shows that you do take the relationship seriously. Be concise and polite.
1 Tell the reader why you missed or will miss the appointment, giving only the necessary details.
- Because I was double scheduled yesterday afternoon, I had to miss our appointment. I am very sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused you.
- I will not be able to make our meeting tomorrow at 1:00. This morning, the CEO asked me to fly to Denver to meet with him, and I won't be back until Thursday.
- I am sorry I wasn't able to make it to the board meeting last week. Of all places, I was in the hospital.
- While reviewing my notes from last week's team meeting, I noticed that I was supposed to meet with you this morning in Room 154. In the rush of getting orders out, I simply forgot.
- For the last two weeks in May, I will be touring our European facilities, and will therefore not be in attendance at the shareholders' meeting.
- a sudden emergency
- am afraid that I forgot
- circumstances beyond my control
- completely slipped my mind
- have been double-booked
- have to miss our appointment
- missed our appointment
- must apologize for
- running behind schedule
- sorry for the inconvenience
- sorry I wasn't able to make it
- was unfortunately delayed
- was supposed to meet with you
- will be unable to keep our appointment
- will be out of town
- will therefore not be in attendance
- will be unable to
- will not be able to
- won't be available until
- won't be back until
2 Suggest or ask for a course of action to make up for your absence.
- If you would still like to meet, I am available tomorrow at 10:00 or 3:00. Give me a call and we can arrange something.
- If possible, I would like to have a copy of the minutes of the April 13 meeting, so I can keep myself abreast of project developments.
- Is there a time next week when we could meet together? Please give me a call and we will work something out. Thursdays are generally good for me.
- I was wondering if I could send somebody from my team to represent me? If such an arrangement would be satisfactory, please call and I will ask someone to fill in for me.
- If you could reserve conference room #2, I could call from Germany and participate in the discussion on the speaker phone. I will be leaving Friday, so please let me know as soon as possible whether this would be an acceptable arrangement.
- could send a representative
- first possible time will be
- if you would still like to meet
- let's reschedule for
- please give me a call
- please let me know
- schedule is booked up until
- the next convenient time for you
- what I can do to
- will arrange something then
- will be happy to
- will be available on
- will be free on
- will work something out
- will be more than willing to
- won't be free again until
- would this arrangement be satisfactory for you
- would you be able to
- would it be possible to
- would this be a good time for you
- would like to receive a copy of