Take the Minutes of a Meeting • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
When taking the minutes of a meeting, it is easiest to either number the items discussed, or put your notes in outline form. Write clearly and use complete sentences whenever possible, because others may need to refer to your minutes when making business or possibly even legal decisions.
How to write this appointment letter:
- At the top of the first page, write the name of the organization, the name of the committee (if applicable), the date, the time, and the place. Indicate the purpose of the meeting, the name of the person conducting, and if the group is relatively small, the names of the participants.
- Record whether the minutes of the previous meeting were read and approved. If any amendments were made to the minutes, record them.
- Report on new items discussed and items approved or disapproved.
- Report any follow-up assignments given
- Report when and where the next meeting will take place, when the meeting was adjourned, and who took the minutes.
Example Letter #1
Convention planning meeting
Doe Legal Secretaries
October 1, 2018 9:00 a.m.
Attending: Ashley Johnson (president), Eric Johnson, Jane Doe, and Michael Luthy
The minutes of the September 3 meeting were approved after the following amendment: Appointments for the convention are l) John Doe to the location committee, 2) Eric Johnson to the brochure committee, and Jane Doe to the food and transportation committee.
Ashley Johnson called for reports from the committee chairs. Jane Doe reported that her committee contacted the Kansas City Bar President, Alan Smith, and Judge Nelson of the Third District Court as possible speakers. Judge Nelson has accepted. Mr. Smith and Ms. Jones will call Jane by October 15.
Mary Doe reported that the layout for the brochure is finished. When the speakers have been confirmed, the brochure will go to the printers.
Michael Luthy and his committee visited Millard Lake Lodge and confirmed that forty double rooms and twenty singles are reserved. The large meeting hall and dining room will have VCRs and microphones set up.
Jane Doe reported that she has organized three committees:
l) Transportation: Arrangements have been made for the Scenic Shuttle to meet conference participants and transport them to and from the airport. Instructions for meeting the transportation are included in the brochure.
2) Banquet: The best of three bids is by Johnson Cater All. The cost is $15 per plate for the Cornish hen dinner. The Johnson's need a banquet count by November 3.
3) Luncheons: The lodge will provide buffets of salads and sandwiches in the Pine Room from 12:00-l:00 on both days of the conference.
The next meeting is scheduled for October 30 in Ashley's office.
Example Letter #2
MINUTES OF THE SPRINGFIELD LIBRARY ADVISORY COMMITTEE (SLAC) MEETING OF SEPTEMBER 5, 2018
Committee President, John Doe, called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. The minutes of the March 1 meeting were accepted as submitted.
The treasurer, Jane Doe, reported the bank balance to be $3,000. Ms. Doe also announced her pending relocation and consequent resignation. On behalf of the SLAC and the Library, Mr. Doe expressed appreciation for her contributions and regret that she is leaving.
The Library Director, Ms. Johnson, showed samples of the newly ordered book plates that read, "Purchased by the Springfield Library Advisory Committee with Funds from its Book Sales." These book plates are being applied to tapes and books donated by the SLAC.
Mr. Doe reported on the public library funding provided in the 2018 fiscal year operating budget as proposed by the County Executive. The Secretary distributed copies of a letter written to the president of the Springfield County Council expressing SLAC's appreciation.
It was agreed that the Secretary would write a letter to the Chair of the County Library Board requesting the three-day loan period for books in great demand.
Eric Doe will serve as the nominating committee chairperson and report next month on committee members.
Those present: John Doe, Jane Doe, Ashley Johnson, and Eric Doe.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:43 p.m. The next meeting will be Wednesday, May 3, 2019, at 7:30 p.m.
Eric Doe, Acting Secretary
Example Letter #3
March 23, 2018
March 17, 2018, 10:30 a.m.
Weekly planning meeting
Attendees: John Doe (Chair), Jane Doe, Eric Doe
Mr. Doe opened the meeting by greeting members and stating that he planned to end the meeting no later than 12 noon. The minutes from the previous meeting of March 8, 2018, were read by the acting secretary, Jane Doe. No additions or corrections were made and the minutes were approved unanimously.
Old business included two items: (1) the additional budget funds to be requested for fiscal year 2018, and (2) plans for radio spot announcements of our new product.
Mr. Doe reported that the Finance Department had approved an additional $1000.00 for our 2018 fund. There was unanimous voice approval of the motion to formally thank the Head of the Finance Department for these additional funds. The chairperson then requested discussion of which radio stations to use for the planned spot commercials.
The discussion of radio advertising was postponed until the next meeting when Jane Doe reported that she had not completed her research of per time spot costs and audiences because she had not yet received quotes from two local radio stations.
No new business was introduced and the chairperson adjourned the meeting at
Respectfully submitted by:
Eric Doe, Acting Secretary
Example Letter #4
Springfield High School
English Department Faculty Meeting
Dec 1, 2018 4:00 p.m.
Meeting conducted by Jane Doe
The next faculty meeting will be held January 3.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 At the top of the first page, write the name of the organization, the name of the committee (if applicable), the date, the time, and the place. Indicate the purpose of the meeting, the name of the person conducting, and if the group is relatively small, the names of the participants.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- ABC Industries Advertising Committee
March 17, 2019, 10:30 a.m. Room 112
Weekly planning meeting
Attendees: John Doe, Chairperson
- Semi-annual shareholders meeting
Sept. 1, 2018, 7:00 p.m.
John Doe, chair
- Main Street Clinic
Monthly planning session
June 10, 2018, 2:30 p.m.
In attendance: Dr. John Doe (chair), Dr. Meg Smith, Dr. James S. Smith, Jan Schmidt
- Academic Standards Board
Term evaluation meeting
July 12, 2019, 8:30 a.m.
Attending: James Larsen (Dean of the College), John Doe, Tim Southers
- Doe Sports Inc.
Employee Safety Concerns Committee Meeting
August 19, 2019, 12:30 p.m.
John Doe, chair
- Participants: John Doe, Jane Doe, Steven Doe, Robert Doe
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- See step 1 examples.
2 Record whether the minutes of the previous meeting were read and approved. If any amendments were made to the minutes, record them.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- The minutes from the May 18 meeting were read and approved; no additions or corrections were made.
- The minutes from last week's meeting were not reviewed, and nothing was added to them.
- Meg Doe read the minutes from the October 8 meeting. Robert Jones noted that we had agreed as a committee to investigate different consulting firms to help us identify potential growth areas. The committee agreed to include Robert's note in the minutes.
- The minutes from the previous meeting were read, and we voted to remove a comment that we had discussed the company's dress code. That discussion had taken place in a previous meeting. The minutes were approved with that change.
- The minutes from the January 17 meeting were read and approved with no amendments.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- it was pointed out that
- meeting was convened at
- minutes of the regular meeting
- no additions or corrections were made
- no corrections were made
- nothing was added
- proposal was made to
- proposed a motion
- read the minutes
- the minutes were amended to read
- the amended minutes were approved
- the minutes of the previous meeting
- the proposed change was approved
- the minutes were approved
- the committee agreed to include
- the minutes were read
- the minutes of the May 18 meeting
- the minutes from the May 18 meeting
- voted to remove
- was unanimously approved
- were distributed and read
- were not reviewed
- were read and approved
- with the following correction
3 Report on new items discussed and items approved or disapproved.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Dean Smith discussed the latest reports on how Doe College compares with other colleges in graduate placement.
- After lively discussion, the committee decided that meetings will be held at 10:00 a.m. each Monday, effective March 10.
- The design department recommended that we appropriate funds to hire an independent research firm to determine which designs elicit the most positive responses from our customers. The department argued that our traditional designs were not user-friendly. They felt that an independent study would prove them right. The board did not approve the appropriation.
- Jane Doe moved that we create a new part-time position in the department to distribute documents to ensure that everyone gets the information they need. The committee agreed to study the budget and vote on it at our next meeting.
- The board decided to discontinue funding yearly programs older than three years, unless the original proposals had been guaranteed funding for five years.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- a brief discussion followed
- after extensive discussion
- after a lively discussion
- agreed unanimously
- agreed, with one dissenting vote
- agreed to
- agreed that
- decided to
- did not approve the
- did not come to a vote
- discussed the latest
- discussion focused on
- it was pointed out that
- it was proposed that
- moved that we should
- offered to
- presented a report on
- recommended that
- should be authorized to
- should appropriate funds for
- suggested that we
- the following agenda items
- to follow up on
- to take action on
- voted in favor of
- was tabled until
- will study the
4 Report any follow-up assignments given
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- Dr. Doe was asked to investigate the possibility of adding catastrophic coverage to our corporate insurance plan.
- John Doe was assigned to review the suggestions for improving the problem-solving procedure. He will report his findings at the next meeting.
- Robert was asked to investigate Mr. Doe's claim, and arrange appropriate compensation if justified.
- We were all asked to consider the possibility of giving smaller bonuses this quarter, in light of the drop in profits.
- Jane Doe asked us to submit nominations for the new vice president of sales.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- asked us to submit
- asked for clarification of
- at the next meeting
- has agreed to
- is investigating the possibility of
- offered to
- stated that he would
- to consider the possibility
- to report on
- was asked to investigate
- was assigned to
- was asked to take action
- was asked to submit
- was asked to
- we were all asked to
- will report his findings
- will make arrangements to
- will investigate the
- will attend
- will report on
- will review the
- will investigate the
- will initiate
5 Report when and where the next meeting will take place, when the meeting was adjourned, and who took the minutes.
Sample Sentences for Step 5
- The next meeting will be held on March 7, in Room 111, at 11:00 a.m.
- The meeting was adjourned at 9:02 a.m.
- Minutes were recorded by John Doe.
- Because of the holiday break, the next meeting will not convene until January 10, at the usual time and place.
- Adjournment was at 12:15 p.m.
- Minutes respectfully submitted by John Doe.
- The meeting was adjourned at 4:35 p.m. The next regular meeting will take place on November 4, at 3:30 p.m. Minutes submitted by John Doe.
- A follow-up meeting was scheduled for Tuesday, July 7, at 1:00 p.m., in Jill Thompson's office. The meeting was adjourned at 1:52 p.m. Minutes submitted by John Doe.
- We agreed to meet together as separate teams, and we also agreed that the next department meeting would be scheduled by Jane Doe. Minutes taken by John Doe.
- The meeting was adjourned at 4:35 p.m. It was agreed that we would meet the next day at 9:00 a.m. to resume the discussion. Minutes taken by Jane Doe.
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- at the usual time and place
- because of the holiday break
- minutes submitted by
- minutes respectfully submitted by
- minutes were recorded by
- minutes taken by
- the next meeting will be held
- the meeting was adjourned at
- the next regular meeting will take place on
- the meeting adjourned at
- the next meeting will convene at
- to resume discussion on
- will schedule the room
- will be held on March 7, in Room
- will meet together as teams
- would meet the next day at