Example Letter #1
The Doe Corporation authorizes you to conduct the hair care study outlined in your proposal, with the understanding that it will not involve animal subjects.
Please proceed as you have outlined in your proposal and report your progress to me weekly. The corporation asks that you complete the study no later than May 13 of this year. I look forward to receiving your first report on Monday, February 10.
Example Letter #2
We are considering moving Doe Tuxedo Shop from our present downtown location to a strip mall at 1600 Main Street in Springfield. Please conduct a telephone survey to determine whether this move would be more likely to increase or decrease our business from university students. We will need your report by March 1. As agreed on the telephone, we have allocated $650 for this survey. You come highly recommended and we look forward to receiving the results. If you have questions, please contact me at 555-5555.
Example Letter #3
I would like you to conduct a one-month feasibility study on our proposal to extend our operations to include the Pacific Rim markets. If the results are positive, your report will go before the board of trustees as we attempt to secure financing for this expansion. Since we are working under the current budget, your travel allowance will be tight, but I know you will make careful choices. I have included a copy of Doe's research on this matter. It is out of date, but may still prove useful as a model. I look forward to weekly reports and, of course, to your final report, which is due no later than July 14.
Example Letter #4
The University's Ombudsman Office has authorized you to conduct a study of freshman perceptions of the University's administration. You have $350 to complete your study. If you need to hire additional help, you are restricted to hiring students. Please complete your research before the end of the quarter. We look forward to seeing the results.
Example Letter #5
I want you to survey the local market for Internet providers to determine who would best design and manage our home page. Among other things, you should ask:
1. whether they can track hits to our site
2. how often they report hits
3. whether they have T1 or T3 lines
4. whether we have to include their name in our address
I need the report by Friday, May 5. Thanks for your help.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Explain the authorization, identifying the specific study or report.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- The Chamber of Commerce has authorized me to commission you and your associates to conduct a study on the impact of the recent influx of out-of-state residents on the local economy.
- I would like you to determine what impact using English-only labeling on our packages would have on our sales in foreign markets.
- The school board has authorized you to begin the research on different educational models that you proposed in our last meeting.
- We would like you to conduct a study on how we can improve the usability of our new software package. We hope your study will result in helpful recommendations.
- The board of directors has asked that you provide an environmental impact statement to accompany our proposal for expansion.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a study investigating the
- according to our previous
- authorize your firm to
- authorizes you to prepare a report on
- begin a study on
- commission you to
- conduct a research project
- criteria are as follows
- focus primarily on
- has authorized you to
- in accordance with
- may begin your study of
- may commence research into
- need to take the following steps
- please do some research on
- prepare a report on
- report on your findings
- request that you
- scope of the study should include
- should include the following
- study needs to include
- study the impact of
- the research requires
- the requirements discussed in
- to conduct a study on
- to do an analysis of
- with the understanding that
- would like you to determine
- your research should investigate
2 Explain any special restrictions or circumstances pertaining to the study, including previous research, corporate or civic policies, and deadlines.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- We ask that you submit your findings no later than July 18, 2019.
- I will need regular updates on your progress in order to report to the board. I recognize that this kind of research could take at least a year, so I don't expect a full report until the end of April next year. To help you get started, I am sending you the results of some preliminary research that John Doe did last summer.
- We will need a full report of your findings by August 17 of this year. As you will be representing our corporation, we have included a company policy manual for your review. We trust that you will work with our clients according to the guidelines set down in the manual.
- I have included copies of other proposals under consideration. I would like you to evaluate each on the basis of environmental impact, especially with regard to the local bird population. As you know, this is a very hot topic with conservationist groups. Please have the report ready by September 3 of this year.
- We need a better understanding of how the public perceives our products. To begin with, we want you to identify which electronics firm the public perceives to be the leader in the industry, and why they feel that way. We would like you to submit your report no later than May 3, 2019.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- accounts of previous research into
- bear in mind that
- company policy is to
- especially with regard to
- evaluate each on the basis of
- expect a full report by
- have your report ready by
- hope to learn why
- identify the public perception of
- included are copies of
- need a better understanding of
- parameters of the study are
- pay special attention to
- recognize that the
- report your findings to
- request interim reports
- research could take up to
- should include this factor in your analysis
- submit your findings no later than
- the following restrictions apply to
- to help you get started
- will probably need to correct for
- will need to do some preliminary research
- will need regular updates on
- will provide you with
- will need a full report by
- work according to these guidelines
3 Close on a positive note, leaving lines of communication open.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- We look forward to hearing from you.
- Please feel free to give me a call if you have any questions regarding our expectations or if you have any problems.
- Good luck.
- I will look forward to a monthly report of your progress.
- Please let us know when you have something to share.
- I look forward to working with you.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- am sure you will enjoy
- appreciate your interest in
- feel free to call
- for your cooperation
- for proposing this
- for suggesting this
- has done some work in this area
- hope you will enjoy this
- if you have any problems
- if you have any questions or concerns
- keep me informed
- keep up the good work
- look forward to
- may be able to advise
- may wish to contact
- please let us know
- should probably discuss this with
- thank you for
- to reading your report
- to discussing your findings
- to seeing your preliminary results
- to seeing your results
- will be most interested to