Cancel a Rental Contract • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
Be direct, yet respectful. Make sure your action is in harmony with the contract you have signed. Give all the information needed to terminate the rental agreement.
How to write this cancellation letter:
- Tell the reader when you plan to terminate the contract.
- Comment on the condition of the rented equipment or property and raise any relevant monetary concerns.
- Tell the reader how to get in touch with you if necessary.
Example Letter #1
This letter is to inform you that we will be moving from our rented location on May 31. Our business has grown to the point where we need more space for inventory and floor models.
In accordance with the provisions in the written contract, we will vacate the building during the last week of May, so you can conduct a final inspection at that time. According to our records, all payments and fees are paid up. Please call me at 555-5555 if you have questions.
Example Letter #2
Our corporation has decided to purchase the same type of equipment that we have been renting from you, so we are hereby canceling our rental contract effective June 9.
You will find that the equipment we are returning is still calibrated correctly and that it is in excellent condition. If you need to contact me, please call me at 555-5555.
Example Letter #3
Since we will be moving from your apartment on May 30, this is our official notice of lease termination. Because the heating continues to be inadequate and the leaking faucets persist, we are not willing to absorb another rent increase. We will leave the apartment as clean as it was when we moved in. We are confident you will return our whole cleaning deposit, per our contract. After May 30, if necessary, please reach me at my office telephone number, 555-5555.
Example Letter #4
I am giving my thirty days' notice that I will be moving from my apartment at 1600 Main Street before June 1. I will leave the unit in excellent condition and with the rent paid through May 31. You can mail my deposit to my new address: 648 Maple Lane. If you need to reach me after I move, my new phone number will be 555-5555.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Tell the reader when you plan to terminate the contract.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- This letter is my notice to you that on July 30, we will be moving from your apartment complex on 1600 Main Street.
- On September 13 of this year I will be moving my office. As of that date I will terminate my office rental contract with your company.
- Because our tour is not making as much money as anticipated, we regret to inform you that we are terminating our rental contract for electrical equipment. We will return your lights and supplementary speakers before the next payment is due on June 1.
- We have decided to cut our vacation short, so we will return our rental car one week early on July 15.
- As you know, I will graduate from dental school in June and relocate to Springfield. Consequently, we are terminating our rental agreement effective June 30, 2019.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- apologize for the short notice but
- as we discussed on the telephone
- circumstances have changed
- confirm that we will be leaving your
- equipment rental contract
- have necessitated this move
- have no alternative but to cancel our
- is my notice to you that
- let you know that we will be
- no longer need the
- problems have not been addressed
- property has not been repaired
- regret to inform you
- serves as notice that
- terminate our rental agreement as of
- terminate my rental contract
- the required thirty days notice
- thirty days from now on the
- understood that the repairs would be done
- will be moving from your
- will be moving out on
- will be vacating your property on
2 Comment on the condition of the rented equipment or property and raise any relevant monetary concerns.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- You will find the office in excellent condition, needing only a light cleaning.
- Because I am leaving the apartment in excellent condition, I expect a full refund of my deposit within sixty days of my leaving, as stated in the contract.
- The apartment is in good condition, with the exception of the leaky toilet that I reported to you in May. I realize that I will forfeit $75 of my security deposit because I am leaving early.
- Before we move, we will complete all minor repairs on the house such as filling nail holes and replacing a washer in the kitchen faucet.
- The equipment is scratched from normal use but in perfect working condition. We will be happy to paint it ourselves or pay someone to do it.
- The bookshelves and chairs are in excellent condition. A few of the desks, however, have been scratched and one has a coffee stain on it. We will do what we can to repair them.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- anticipate full refund of our
- any repairs that you find necessary
- appreciate timely refund of
- arrange for inspection of the
- be present at your inspection
- bear the reasonable costs of advertising
- deposit should more than cover the costs of
- except for normal wear and tear
- expect a full refund of
- find the property in good condition
- good condition with the exception of
- have not fulfilled your part of the contract
- in perfect working condition
- in better condition than we found it
- in accordance with our agreement
- is willing to take over our lease
- is in good repair
- is in excellent condition
- leave the property clean
- provide a detailed description of any deductions
- regret the inconvenience this may cause you
- will advertise the property
- will be leased again quickly
- will have all minor repairs completed
3 Tell the reader how to get in touch with you if necessary.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- If you need to get in touch with me, you can write me at 1600 Main Street in Springfield, Kansas 12345.
- If necessary you can reach me by telephone at 555-5555.
- Here is my e-mail address in case you need to contact me:
- Should you need more information, please call me at my office.
- Because I do not have an address yet, I will call you next week to clear up any questions you may have.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- can call me at
- can reach me at
- clear up any questions
- will call you to
- if you need to get in touch with me
- in case you need to contact me
- my postal address is
- my postal address remains
- new address will be
- please send the deposit refund to
- should you need more information
- temporary address is
- this address will be temporary
- will be relocating to
- will arrange for mail to be forwarded
- write us care of