Example Letter #1
You have my authorization to take over the day-to-day affairs at Doe Corporation while I am on vacation. Because our course is set, there should be no major changes while I am gone. You are authorized to purchase supplies as needed and to sign employee time cards. Should an emergency arise, call me at 555-5555. Otherwise, I will not be available until August 15. I have complete confidence in your abilities and will personally inform the team members of this action.
Example Letter #2
On behalf of the Springfield Homeowners' Association, we the Board of Directors confirm that John Doe has authority as President of the Association to subcontract emergency repairs to plumbers, roofers, and electricians. These rights are limited to emergency repairs only, and not for renovation or remodeling projects. Mr. Doe is required to report all expenditures, along with copies of each month's bank statement, in his monthly newsletter to the Association.
Example Letter #3
This is the written authorization you requested before you start the construction of the office building on 1600 Main Street in Springfield. The terms you stated in your letter are correct. I have attached a countersigned copy of that letter.
Thank you for your attention to detail. I look forward to doing business with you again.
Example Letter #4
This letter confirms that John Doe is authorized to represent the Doe Company in contract negotiations with the employees' union. Union representatives should contact John when they have questions or proposals to discuss. We are confident that John has the knowledge and experience necessary to negotiate a successful settlement. We look forward to concluding this matter in a way that will be satisfactory to everyone.
Example Letter #5
This letter constitutes the written confirmation you requested with regard to our agreement over the telephone. You are authorized to use my security code to gain after-hours access to the offices of the John Doe Corporation for the week ending June 12, for the purpose of installing new computer equipment and software. This will be done in accordance with the terms of the contract we reviewed and signed on May 30.
We are looking forward to having the new equipment in place, and trust that this will lead to an ongoing and mutually beneficial relationship.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Refer to any previous contact with your reader and state clearly what you are authorizing.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- This letter is to confirm that you have permission to remove the two leaking septic tanks behind our farm house on Rural Route 6.
- As you requested in your letter, I am sending you written confirmation that I have authorized Doe Deck Masters to begin work on a deck for us using the specifications that we gave to Jane Doe.
- I am sending you this letter to confirm the telephone agreement we made on July 24, when you agreed to serve as a private investigator for our firm.
- As a follow-up to our July 24 phone conversation, we are pleased to extend to you official authorization to represent us during our negotiations with Springfield Power & Water.
- This letter is to confirm the authorization we gave you over the phone on Wednesday to send your efficiency analysis team to our Springfield plant on July 24, 2019.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- am pleased to
- am sending you
- are authorized to
- as a follow-up to our conversation on
- as you requested
- constitutes authorization to
- for agreeing to
- give you full authority to
- has my permission to
- have permission to
- in accordance with my instructions
- thank you for
- that I have authorized
- this letter serves as official
- to authorize you to
- to confirm our telephone agreement
- to extend official authorization
- want you to
- wish to confirm that
- written confirmation of
2 Review the terms of agreement and give any other appropriate instructions or information.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- As we agreed on the phone, you will bill us your customary rate of $150 an hour. Please send the bill to Jane Doe in our accounts department.
- With each monthly bill, please enclose a short letter describing the status of the project.
- Our address is 1800 Main Street, and not 1600 Main Street as you mentioned in your letter requesting confirmation from us.
- Please meet us at the Springfield warehouse at 6:30 p.m., as we agreed. If the guards in the security booth behind the warehouse stop you, present this letter to them. If this does not suffice, have them call me, regardless of the time.
- We have decided on the color. We want the creamy pink.
- We still haven't decided on the paint color, but we will give you our decision before Monday.
- We understand that you will be sending four team members to Springfield for a three-week period. We also understand that due to inflation and the unusual distance your team will have to travel, your fee will be 13% higher than your similar analysis of our Centerville plant last year.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- as soon as possible
- as you mentioned
- as we agreed
- at your customary rate of
- enclosed is a breakdown of
- enclosed are all pertinent documents
- exactly as specified
- expect to receive interim reports
- for our records
- for the duration of the
- if this does not suffice
- meet with us on
- present this letter to
- report to me on
- require an itemized statement
- return a signed copy of this
- send the bill to
- sign on the line provided
- the discount we discussed
- the enclosed contract
- the confirmation you requested
- total price will come to
- trust that this will
- understand that you will
- will pay the amount in full
- will let you know before
3 End with an expression of confidence or anticipation.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- If this letter is an accurate representation of your understanding of our agreement, please sign on the line provided below and send us a photocopy for our files.
- We are looking forward to doing business with you and are excited about our new deck.
- Your company comes highly recommended. We look forward to quality work at a reasonable price.
- Let me reiterate the absolute confidentiality with which we expect this assignment to be carried out. Any hint of a breach of this confidentiality will result in the immediate termination of your contract.
- The suggestions your efficiency team made last year have already begun to save us money. We look forward to a repeat performance.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- am sure that you will
- are looking forward to
- are confident that
- are eager to
- are confident of your ability to
- as soon as possible
- as soon as your schedule permits
- eagerly await the finished project
- eagerly await the completion of
- have full confidence in
- have a fine reputation for
- know the project is in good hands
- look forward to
- to proceed with our plans
- to doing business with you
- to a mutually profitable relationship
- to another successful project
- to working with you
- will do an excellent job