Congratulate Someone on Winning an Award or Receiving a Scholarship or Other Honor • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
When congratulating a friend, employee, family member, or associate on winning an honor or scholarship, express only the most sincere sentiments. You should not be excessively effusive in your praise, since such language is usually considered phony, nor should you overstep the bounds of decorum by using more familiar language than your relationship warrants.
How to write this congratulation letter:
- Start with a direct statement of congratulations, specifically identifying the celebrated event.
- Acknowledge such things as the effort, dedication, energy, sacrifice, or skill necessary for the achievement.
- Express good wishes for future successes.
Example Letter #1
Congratulations on winning the Employee of the Year Award. I am happy that someone from my department won, and I am even happier that it was you. The award appropriately reflects the endless hours you have spent securing tough accounts and negotiating contracts, not the least of which was the Doe account.
On behalf of our team and the company as a whole, I wish you unlimited success in the future.
Example Letter #2
I just learned of the four-year scholarship you received from Doe University. Congratulations!
Your grandmother and I have watched you struggle with balancing your part-time job and your studies and have triumphed with you as you maintained that 3.9 grade point average. We know you will enjoy your advanced studies. We're so proud!
Please accept this gift with our best wishes for your bright future.
Example Letter #3
Wow! Congratulations on receiving Springfield's Father of the Year Award. What an accomplishment!
My first child just reached fifteen, so I have deep admiration for the patience and caring you showed each of your five children as they grew to adulthood. No one deserves this award more than you. You are a great example to the rest of us who sometimes struggle to keep our families close in this challenging world.
May your children also have this kind of success in parenting because of the wonderful example you have set for them.
Example Letter #4
Congratulations on being awarded the Doe Fellowship an unprecedented third time! This leaves no doubt that you are the best we have here in Springfield. No one is more deserving.
I hope this small gift will make your research more comfortable.
I look forward to seeing the results of your work. I wish you the every success.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Start with a direct statement of congratulations, specifically identifying the celebrated event.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Congratulations on winning the company's Salesperson of the Year Award.
- I just found out that you were awarded the company's Manager of the Year Award, and I would like to congratulate you.
- Nice work! The news of your full-ride scholarship was no surprise to me. I know that you are both capable and deserving.
- Way to go! I'm impressed with the news of your recent award from the State Bar Association.
- Congratulations on winning the Employee of the Year Award.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- allow me to extend
- are very happy for you
- congratulations on winning
- extend my warmest congratulations to
- happy to see you receive
- honoring your achievements
- just found out that
- made my day
- my heartiest congratulations on
- offer my sincere congratulations
- on this outstanding achievement
- please accept my congratulations
- so pleased that you won
- think it's great that you won
- this significant achievement
- this well-deserved recognition
- want to add my congratulations
- was impressed when I heard
- was certainly well-earned
- was delighted to hear
- was delighted to read
- was with great pleasure that
- was no surprise to
- was indeed a pleasure to learn
- was no surprise to me
- was so pleased to hear
- would like to congratulate you on
2 Acknowledge such things as the effort, dedication, energy, sacrifice, or skill necessary for the achievement.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I have been hoping you would win the award for several years now.
- No one deserves this award more than you.
- I know how hard you work, and I know you deserve the award.
- We appreciate your dedication to the company and the long hours you devote to your projects.
- Everyone knows of your dedication and sacrifice.
- It is good to have someone of your caliber in the office, and I appreciate the suggestions and advice you have given me.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a tribute bestowed only on those who
- admire your effort and dedication
- appreciate your dedication to
- can all be justly proud
- certainly deserve the award
- comes as no surprise to
- commitment to excellence
- could not be awarded to a more deserving recipient
- good to have someone of your caliber
- has certainly paid off
- have worked so hard
- is richly deserved
- is a great achievement
- know how difficult it is
- know how hard you work
- must be very proud
- my hat's off to you
- no small achievement
- no one deserves it more
- proud to have you represent our
- the long hours you devote to
- tremendous contribution you have made to
- truly deserve this recognition
- wish you continued success
3 Express good wishes for future successes.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I look forward to hearing about many more of your successes.
- Best wishes for more successes in the future. You have my full and complete confidence.
- Please keep me informed of your future successes.
- Keep up the good work!
- I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- a stellar future
- am confident that you
- best wishes for
- express our very best wishes for
- for continued success
- for success in your new
- hearing about many more of your achievements
- in the future
- in your future endeavors
- keep up the good work
- look forward to
- please keep me informed
- such skills are sure to take you far
- to bragging about
- will continue to do well
- will lead to a bright future
- wish you all the best
- your future looks bright
- your impressive accomplishments