Example Letter #1
Congratulations on the birth of your precious new arrival. Now you begin a new adventure in learning that true happiness really does come from selfless service. You will have ample opportunity to learn this lesson.
Please accept my wishes for the best of luck and success as you begin this new phase of family life.
P.S. I have sent you a small gift by mail and it should arrive in a few days. I hope you like it.
Example Letter #2
Congratulations! We were happy to hear of your family's newest addition. It really takes a special couple to endure that long adoption process, and we admire you and your wife for your perseverance and sacrifice. We are sure it will be well worth the effort. Your new addition is lucky to have you as his parents.
We wish you many rewarding years as a happy family.
Example Letter #3
Congratulations! Those nine long months have finally ended and the result is your beautiful baby girl. When I saw her through the hospital nursery window the other day, I immediately saw both you and your husband in her tiny face. She's an angel.
I'm sorry that I couldn't attend the baby shower, but I still wanted to send a present. It should arrive in a few days.
In the meantime, I hope you enjoy every minute you have with your beautiful little girl.
Example Letter #4
How wonderful to hear of your new arrival! Little Eric is a beautiful child. You have my warmest congratulations. Adoption of an infant is a very special opportunity and a very great blessing.
I have included a certificate for six months of diaper service. I hope you and Eric find it useful. What a joy it will be to see this beautiful child grow up in the home of one of my dearest friends!
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Start with a direct statement of congratulations, acknowledging the significance of the event.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Congratulations on the birth of your son! Having three children of my own, I know how excited--and nervous--you must be right now, but hang in there.
- Thanks for sending me an announcement concerning the arrival of your daughter, and congratulations!
- I know from personal experience how much energy babies require, but believe me, it's all worth it.
- Congratulations! I saw your announcement on the office bulletin board. My best wishes to both you and the baby.
- Congratulations! What a blessing in your life. I hope both Jane and the baby are doing well.
- I have often noticed the pictures of your children on your desk, and I know how much you love them.
- Congratulations on the birth of your grandchild!
- I loved the picture of your new baby. She looks just like you!
- It's nice to know that in this challenging world, another baby will have a loving, stable home.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a wonderful addition to your family
- a beautiful baby boy
- a challenge and a blessing in one package
- all the disturbed nights
- am well acquainted with
- am so happy for you
- am sure he dominates the household
- brings such joy into your home
- congratulations on the birth of your
- delighted to hear of the arrival of
- extend my best wishes to
- has arrived at last
- have begun a wonderful journey
- how much energy babies require
- is all worthwhile
- joy of that first smile
- know you'll do just fine
- know you'll be a great mother
- know from personal experience
- long process of adoption
- long-awaited baby
- look forward to
- looks just like you
- loved the photo of your new baby
- must be thrilled about
- must be proud to
- new addition to your family
- nothing can compare with
- one of the greatest joys of life
- parenting is not always easy, but
- recent addition to
- running a little short on sleep
- seeing you and the baby
- seem to take over our lives
- such loving parents
- thanks for sending me an announcement
- thrilled about the birth of your
- to both you and the baby
- truly a memorable occasion
- very special event
- was so happy to hear
- was thrilled to hear
- will be wonderful parents
- wonderful and blessed event
- your new little one
2 Mention the gift if you are giving one.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I hope you will forgive an old bachelor's ignorance, but since I don't know very much about what new babies and new parents need, I have enclosed a gift certificate from Doe's baby shop.
- I have enclosed a check for you to use in whatever way you see fit. When our Eric was born what we really needed was cash! So use it and enjoy.
- I have enclosed a gift which you may find useful. If not, please don't hesitate to exchange it for something more appropriate.
- A gift should arrive by mail within a few days.
- I took the safe way out and bought clothes slightly larger than newborn, so your daughter can grow into them.
- I saw these booties when we were visiting in Springfield. I hope she enjoys them.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- babies grow so fast
- bought clothes slightly larger
- bought a bigger size
- can grow into them
- can always use another
- couldn't resist this
- don't know very much about
- enclosed a gift certificate from
- enclosed a check
- get something you really need
- hope you can use this gift
- hope it fits
- hope you will find this useful
- mailed a gift separately
- please feel free to return or exchange it at
- took the safe way out
- use it and enjoy
- were given one of these
- what we really needed was
3 Express anticipation for a happy future.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Since I don't have children of my own, I feel very close to the kids of my friends and my brothers and sisters. I look forward to watching young Eric grow up in your capable hands.
- Take care of the little one!
- I wish you all the best in raising your son.
- May your daughter grow up to be as good as the two of you.
- Again, congratulations.
- Again, I appreciate your sending me the birth announcement. You two are among the finest people I know, and I want to wish you all the happiness in the world as you raise your child.
- You're an inspiration. I hope it will not be long before we can have the same happiness.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- a wonderful future for your family
- all the happiness in the world
- all our best wishes
- all the best
- are among the finest people I know
- as you raise your child
- best wishes for
- enjoy your beautiful little bundle
- enjoy every moment
- God's richest blessings
- good things really do come in small packages
- in your capable hands
- in raising your daughter
- look forward to
- may she enrich your lives
- to seeing you all
- to meeting your new arrival
- to watching young Eric grow up
- want to wish you
- wishing you the best