Congratulate Someone on His or Her Birthday • Example Letters and Guides
People like to be remembered, and a birthday is a good occasion to drop a personal message of cheer and appreciation. You should, however, be sensitive to a person's feelings about growing older.
How to write this congratulation letter:
- Start with a direct statement of congratulations.
- Express appreciation or affection for the individual, depending on the nature of your relationship.
- Mention the gift, if you are giving one.
- Express anticipation of future successes.
Example Letter #1
Greetings on your birthday! You have reached a new milestone. All of us at Doe Corporation join in wishing you Happy Birthday and express our appreciation and admiration for all you have accomplished. We are confident you will continue to even greater heights. Thanks for all you do to make us look good. We enclose a book which has been signed by the entire staff. Happy reading.
Example Letter #2
We extend our best wishes to you on your upcoming birthday and want you to know how much we have enjoyed you as an employee at Doe International. To help you celebrate, we have enclosed a small token of our appreciation for your unselfish service.
Here's to another successful year for you and yours.
Example Letter #3
I want to wish you a very Happy Birthday and congratulate you on another fine year! I value all our employees here at Doe, but a few distinguish themselves by continued excellence. I value your fine work here more than you know.
Please accept this modest bonus check as a token of my esteem.
Best wishes for the coming year--business and pleasure!
Example Letter #4
Happy birthday! Have a pleasant day, with just enough partying to have fun, but not enough to cause any wrinkles. We want you to know how much we appreciate you. If you weren't so indispensable, we might have managed to give you the day off !
The whole department joins me in wishing you a pleasant and prosperous year, and many happy returns of the day!
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Start with a direct statement of congratulations.
Sentences for Step 1
- On behalf of the company, allow me to wish you a happy birthday!
- Please accept our best wishes on your birthday.
- A very happy birthday to you!
- Congratulations on your birthday!
- I wanted to drop you a line on your birthday to let you know how much I admire and appreciate you.
- Happy birthday! We just want to let you know that we appreciate you here at Doe Corporation.
- Best wishes to a valued friend and colleague on this special day.
Phrases for Step 1
- a very happy birthday to you
- admire and appreciate you
- allow me to wish you a happy birthday
- another year has flown by
- another year has gone by
- best wishes on your birthday
- congratulations on your birthday
- hard to believe that
- how much we appreciate you
- may each be happier than the last
- on your birthday
- on your special day
- on behalf of the company
- please accept our best wishes
- special time of the year
- the anniversary of your birth
- this past year has gone by so quickly
- want you to know
- want to let you know
- wish you many more
2 Express appreciation or affection for the individual, depending on the nature of your relationship.
Sentences for Step 2
- I want you to know how much we value your work here at Doe Corporation.
- This is a good occasion for me to express my appreciation for all you do to help me.
- It has been a delight to work with you through the years.
- We consider ourselves very fortunate to have you on the team. Onward and upward!
- You have been a good friend, and I want you to know how much I appreciate your help.
- I hope you know how much we admire your work.
- I appreciate your dedication and hard work, and know how much the other people in the office respect you. You set a good example.
Phrases for Step 2
- are a good friend
- express my regard for
- for all you do to help me
- for all you do
- have not gone unnoticed
- have tremendous respect for
- have set a high standard
- have been a good friend to
- hope you know
- how much I admire
- how much we appreciate
- how respected you are
- not sure I can adequately communicate
- please know that I appreciate you very much
- seems a good time to let you know
- sincerely value your
- the right occasion for me to
- want you to know that
- your dedication and hard work
- your many contributions
3 Mention the gift, if you are giving one.
Sentences for Step 3
- As a small token of our appreciation, we will present you with a gift at the company banquet next week. We hope you and your wife can join us at 7:00.
- To express our appreciation, we are sending a gift. We hope you enjoy it.
- Please accept this small gift as a token of our sincere appreciation for your being such a great asset to the company.
- The enclosed gift certificate is our way of saying thank you for the service you perform for the company.
- A gift should arrive at your house by mail within a few days. I hope you enjoy it.
- I hope you enjoy the gift I sent you.
- I have sent a little something to help you celebrate the occasion.
Phrases for Step 3
- are sending a gift
- carries with it our love and respect
- enclosed gift certificate
- hope you enjoy it
- hope this small remembrance
- hope you can use the gift
- hope you will join us
- know you are interested in
- know that you enjoy
- our way of saying thank you
- sent you a little something
- should arrive at your home
- small token of our appreciation
- this small gift
- to help celebrate the occasion
- to add to your collection
- to express our appreciation
- will present you with
4 Express anticipation of future successes.
Sentences for Step 4
- Best wishes for a successful and productive year.
- We are not getting older; we are just getting smarter.
- Keep up the good work!
- I look forward to many more enjoyable years together.
- I wish you all the best!
- Keep smiling!
- If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.
Phrases for Step 4
- a bright future
- am looking forward to
- best wishes for
- for a happy year
- for a successful and productive year
- for the coming year
- good health and happiness
- have a great year
- here's to a great day
- hope the next year will be
- keep up the good work
- keep smiling
- life's richest blessings
- things are looking bright
- will be just as great
- wish you all the best