Congratulate Someone on His or Her Graduation • Example Letters and Guides
The completion of a college degree by an employee, friend, or associate is a significant achievement which certainly should be recognized. You can also send a congratulatory note if the son or daughter of an employee or associate finishes a significant degree program.
How to write this congratulation letter:
- Begin by expressing your congratulations for the achievement.
- Acknowledge such things as the effort, dedication, energy, or sacrifice necessary for the achievement.
- Mention the gift, if you are giving one.
- Express good wishes for the future.
Example Letter #1
John and I are delighted to hear that you graduated and we extend our hearty congratulations. You have reached an important goal by hard work and perseverance. We know you will take your work ethic into your career and have great success. We have enclosed a small gift and send our best wishes.
Example Letter #2
Congratulations on receiving your degree! I have heard that the physics program is one of the toughest at the University, and I am quite impressed with you for sticking with it. Your commitment to using your training to improve urban life is commendable. Don't lose the vision!
Please let me know when you begin your job search. Although I can't offer you a job, I have connections with several others who may. Good luck in beginning your new career!
Example Letter #3
So you finally made it through the mill! I know just how it feels. I couldn't be happier for you. Congratulations!
In the last few years I have watched you grind and be ground. You have really shown your stuff and have every right to be proud.
I am sending a few dollars for you to spend while you are traveling. Eat a good meal now and then. I expect to see great things coming from your direction in the next years!
Example Letter #4
I was delighted to receive your graduation announcement. I know that you have put in a great deal of work and effort to get to this point, and we want you to know that we are all very proud of you.
Enclosed is a small gift. I hope you will get yourself something you can use and will enjoy. It comes with my best wishes for your future.
Example Letter #5
Congratulations on the completion of your degree. It has been a long haul for you, but I am sure you will agree that it is all worth it in the end. You face a new chapter in your life now, and I want you to know that my thoughts and best wishes go with you. May you enjoy continued success in the years that lie ahead.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Begin by expressing your congratulations for the achievement.
Sentences for Step 1
- Congratulations on the completion of your degree!
- I was delighted to receive your graduation announcement yesterday, and would like to congratulate you on the successful completion of your degree.
- Congratulations! I always knew you would graduate with honors.
- Finishing your degree is such an important milestone. Congratulations.
- Thanks for sending me an announcement of your graduation from Doe University. Congratulations on a job well done.
- You must be very proud of your son's graduation. I am certainly happy for him, and I'll bet you are as glad as he is that it's over!
- I received your daughter's graduation announcement yesterday, and I want to extend my sincere congratulations both to her and to you.
Phrases for Step 1
- a great accomplishment
- always knew that
- am very proud of you
- are very happy for you
- are glad it's over
- congratulations are in order
- congratulations on
- extremely proud of
- in completing your degree
- just as proud as can be
- know how hard you worked
- long years of college life
- must be very proud
- on the successful completion of
- on a job well done
- on your graduation from
- on the occasion of
- reached a milestone in
- received the announcement of your
- thanks for sending me
- the completion of your degree
- was delighted to hear that
- was delighted to receive
- your graduation from
- your graduation announcement
2 Acknowledge such things as the effort, dedication, energy, or sacrifice necessary for the achievement.
Sentences for Step 2
- I have always admired your dedication and was thrilled to hear that you have been accepted into law school at Doe State.
- Your dedication in pursuing your educational goals has impressed me tremendously. I can only wish the best to a very deserving graduate.
- I know how hard you have worked to achieve this goal.
- I know it has been a long four years for you, but you will never regret the time, energy, and sacrifice that you have put into this accomplishment.
- We are very proud of all you have accomplished.
- It has been a long haul for you, and we are all pleased that you have done so well.
Phrases for Step 2
- all the extra work and effort
- all those years of
- all those late nights studying
- all your hard work
- all you have accomplished
- are very proud of
- by your dedication to
- has been a long haul
- have done so well
- have been impressed with
- have finally paid off
- have always admired your
- know how much it takes
- know how hard you worked
- long years of study
- pursuing your educational goals
- quite an achievement
- reached your goal
- the time, energy, and sacrifice
- to achieve this goal
- to a very deserving graduate
- will never regret your
3 Mention the gift, if you are giving one.
Sentences for Step 3
- A gift should arrive for you by UPS within a few days. I hope it is something you can use and enjoy.
- We hope you enjoy the gift we sent.
- We have sent a little something to help you celebrate the occasion.
- I have enclosed a gift certificate for you to get something you need.
- To help you celebrate, I have enclosed a dinner gift certificate for two at Doe's Landing. Please relax and enjoy yourself. You have earned a break!
Phrases for Step 3
- a small reward for
- a gift should arrive
- accept this small gift
- as a token of
- hope you can use and enjoy
- enclosed is a small
- for all your hard work
- get something you need
- have sent a little something
- have enclosed a gift
- hope it is something
- hope you enjoy the gift
- how proud we are
- just a little something
- our way of saying
- relax and enjoy yourself
- so that you can
- to enjoy yourself with
- to help you celebrate
- to mark the occasion
4 Express good wishes for the future.
Sentences for Step 4
- I expect great things from you in the future.
- Now that you are moving away and taking your first real job, I hope you will keep in touch. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.
- Our warmest hopes and wishes go with you as you start a new chapter in your life.
- Let me know how things go for you.
- I know you will do well in your professional work if you maintain the self-discipline you demonstrated in school.
- I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. I know you will go far.
Phrases for Step 4
- a new chapter in
- am confident that
- as you face a new
- as you make decisions about
- as you start your
- best wishes for
- for continued success in
- fulfill your dreams
- hope you will
- in your professional work
- in your future endeavors
- in the future
- in the years ahead
- keep in touch
- keep up the good work
- know you will go far
- look forward to
- may your future hold
- off to an auspicious start
- please let me know
- warmest hopes and wishes
- well prepared for
- wish you all the best
- wish you success and fulfillment