Example Letter #1
I have always known you were cream--and cream rises to the top. You have done a great job and deserve the promotion. Many of us are aware of the extra hours you have spent keeping the warehouse in order, and the way you helped others when their workloads became too heavy. You are a natural for the supervisor position. The workers in your division are very fortunate to have you over them. Best wishes for continued success.
Example Letter #2
I just read in the Doe College Newsletter that you have been promoted to the rank of Associate Professor. Congratulations! I am well aware of what it takes in terms of publication and teaching to satisfy the advancement committee. You are making your mark both as a scholar and as a teacher. I have heard many students comment positively on your classes and have enjoyed your recent articles. The college is fortunate to have you on the faculty. Best wishes for continued success.
Example Letter #3
Please accept my hearty congratulations on your promotion. You are definitely the right person for the job. That's what happens when your work is flawless, you give uncommon attention to detail, and you get along well with everyone. Management can't help but see that you are the natural choice for the position. Best wishes in the new office.
Example Letter #4
Please accept my sincere congratulations on your promotion to regional manager. You are the most gifted supervisor I have ever worked with, and we will sorely miss your leadership. You have taught me the meaning of hard work and integrity, and I know that your dedication will greatly advance the company's mission. I wish you all the best in this important career advancement.
Example Letter #5
Your career is really taking off. Congratulations on your promotion!
We know that you and your company like to work with suppliers that are equally dynamic. As a result of our aggressive in-house telemarketing effort over the past 5 years, Doe Distributors has grown at the rate of 35% per year. I think your goals and ours are so similar that we could benefit from working together.
I'll call next week to set up a meeting. I look forward to congratulating you in person.
This letter is one that the reader will greatly appreciate. It shows that you care enough to take the time to extend congratulations. It is a great relationship builder. Be complimentary and sincere. [See also "Announce an employee's achievement"]
1 Start with a direct statement of congratulations, which also identifies the celebrated event.
- Congratulations on your promotion to area manager. I know of no one better suited to the job.
- Congratulations on your recent advancement.
- Way to go! The news of your promotion came as no surprise to me, because you are obviously the best person for the job.
- Congratulations! I just heard about your promotion, and I wanted to be among the first to congratulate you. You are perfect for the job.
- You know, of course, that I was in competition with you for the position you just won, but please accept my whole-hearted congratulations. There is no person I would rather lose to than you, and I want you to know that you have my full support.
- accept my best wishes
- came as no surprise
- can't think of anyone better suited
- congratulations on
- congratulations and good wishes
- couldn't have picked a better
- delighted to learn about
- for your success
- just heard about your
- looking forward to
- made a wise choice
- my whole-hearted congratulations
- my full support and cooperation
- no one is more deserving of
- on your promotion to
- perfect for the job
- the recognition you so richly deserve
- the position you have attained
- thoroughly deserve this
- want you to know that
- was so pleased to hear
- will be a very effective
- working with you
- would like to congratulate you
- your recent promotion
- your upcoming promotion
2 Acknowledge such things as the effort, dedication, energy, or sacrifice necessary to achieve the goal.
- I think it is about time that Doe Corporation recognized the kind of dedication and energy you have given them for the last ten years.
- Your sales record has been outstanding, and it has become increasingly clear that you have excellent leadership skills.
- Your skill and workmanship made you the obvious choice for shop manager.
- This promotion comes as a direct result of the effort and sacrifice you have made for the company. Your work is outstanding.
- I know how hard you have worked, putting in long hours after others had gone home.
- comes as a direct result of
- derive a great deal of personal satisfaction from
- has been outstanding
- has become increasingly clear that
- have recognized your
- have made exceptional
- heard so many good things about
- is certainly well-merited
- know how hard you have worked
- made a wise choice
- perfect for the job
- the kind of dedication and energy
- the contributions you have made to
- the recognition you so richly deserved
- undoubtedly earned this
- what an impressive achievement
- your skill and workmanship
- your leadership skills
- your ability to motivate
- your hard work and dedication
- your many achievements
- your effort and sacrifice
- your expertise in
3 Look forward to future successes.
- With you at the helm of this division, I look forward to great things happening.
- I know you will do well in this position, and wish you all the success in the world.
- Keep up the good work!
- We wish you the best of luck in your new job.
- I wish you all the best in your new position.
- am looking forward to
- are expecting great things
- are all proud of you
- best of luck in
- best wishes for
- both challenging and rewarding
- for the future
- for your continued success
- foresee great things happening
- good wishes for the future
- in this exciting new
- in your new position
- keep up the good work
- know you will do an outstanding job
- look forward to
- more of the same
- sure to do a great job
- to working with you in the future
- will do an excellent job
- wish you all the best
- wish you the best of luck
- with you at the helm
- working with you