Inform a Customer of an Overpayment • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
This brief but important letter notifies a customer that he or she has overpaid you. It can serve as a very good customer relations letter. Avoid any hint of criticism.
How to write this credit letter:
- Carefully explain how much the customer has overpaid.
- Inform the client how you plan to correct the error.
- Offer additional service.
Example Letter #1
There has been an error in your favor! You overpaid your account by $85.00 last month, and we have credited this amount to your account to be used toward future purchases. If you prefer, however, we can send you a refund check. Just call 555-5555 and our customer service representative will honor your request.
Example Letter #2
Thank you for the payment we recently received on your account. Since the balance due was $75.00, your payment of $100.00 resulted in a credit of $25.00. We will apply this credit to future purchases, or you can receive a refund by calling 555-5555.
We appreciate your business and count you as one of our valued customers. If you have any questions about this matter, or if we can assist you further, please call.
Example Letter #3
Thank you for your most recent payment of $100. You might be happy to learn that at the time of this payment your balance was only $27.55, leaving a $72.45 overpayment. Our bookkeeper, Jane Doe, has credited this amount to your account, and your next billing statement will reflect this adjustment. If you would prefer, however, we would be glad to send you a refund check in the amount of $72.45. Please telephone Jane if you wish to have this amount refunded. I have enclosed a copy of your last billing statement in case you did not receive it. Jane Doe will be glad to answer any questions you may have about our billing procedures. She may be reached at 555-5555.
Example Letter #4
We have negotiated a favorable change in the prices of ingredients and are passing the savings on to you. Doe Bakery's usual order of 25 drums of our Invincible Cream filling now costs $208.00. Your advance payment of $223.00 was received and the difference credited to your account. I have enclosed an updated price list on all of our baking supplies. Please call if you would like to take advantage of these other great prices.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Carefully explain how much the customer has overpaid.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We recently received your check #719 for $230.00. This is an overpayment of $100 on the 13 June invoice.
- We think you will be pleased to know that you have overpaid us.
- Your bill for the month of September has been overpaid. We apologize for overcharging you $20.00 for that month.
- Enclosed is your check #281. Our records show that you already paid your February bill.
- Thank you for your prompt payment of $561.81. Although our billing invoice showed that amount due, you are entitled to a 3% discount for sending your payment within ten days of receiving the bill.
- We appreciate your payment of $195.00; however, we have adjusted our rates. Because the amount due was $155.00, you have a credit balance of $40.00.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- apologize for our
- apparently you paid
- appears to be an error in
- appreciate your payment of
- are not liable for
- are entitled to a discount
- enclosed is your check
- have overpaid us
- is an overpayment of
- mistakenly overcharged you
- neglected to deduct
- omitted to credit you with
- our statement showed
- received your check for
- regret any inconvenience
- resulting in an overpayment
- should have been deducted from
- thank you for your payment of
- the enclosed invoice reflects
- the amount you owed was
- your prompt payment of
2 Inform the client how you plan to correct the error.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Unless you inform us otherwise, we will credit your account with the difference.
- We have credited your account $25.95 to correct this error.
- Enclosed is a refund check for that amount.
- Enclosed is a check for $30.00 to cover the amount overpaid.
- We are sorry for any inconvenience that our over billing may have caused you. We have already credited the $57.17 to your account. Your next statement will reflect that correction.
- Please let us know at your earliest convenience if you would rather have the $87.00 credited to your account or receive a refund check.
- Since you plan to close for the holidays, we have returned your check #291 for $284.00, instead of crediting your account.
- I have enclosed the $15.29 that you overpaid for my services.
- According to company policy, I have credited your account with the extra $91.00. If you would like us to handle this overpayment differently, please let me know and I will be happy to comply.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a corrected statement
- according to company policy
- am returning your check for
- applied to your next order
- can be applied toward
- can either credit your account
- check for the amount overpaid
- credited to your account
- enclosed is a refund check
- have enclosed the
- if you would rather
- next statement will reflect
- prefer to have a check
- send us the proper amount within
- sent directly to you
- sorry for any inconvenience
- to correct this error
- unless you desire otherwise
- will credit your account
- with the difference
- your next purchase
- your next statement will
3 Offer additional service.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- If I can assist you further, contact me at 555-5555.
- We appreciate your business. Let us know if we can make the payment process easier for you.
- Thank you for your prompt and consistent payments. Let me know if you have any questions.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to call 555-5555 to speak with one of our customer service representatives.
- If we can be of further service, please call our office at 555-5555, or write to the address shown in our letterhead.
- I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about our billing processes.
- Enclosed is a copy of our billing guidelines and procedures. I hope you will find it useful.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- always a pleasure to
- appreciate your business
- be of further service
- can contact me at
- don't hesitate to call
- enclosed is a copy of
- if you have any questions
- if we can assist you further
- in the future
- in any way we can
- let us know if
- please feel free to
- regarding our billing process
- regarding this matter
- thank you for
- to answer any questions
- value your account
- will be happy to
- write to the address shown
- your prompt and consistent payments
- your revised statement