Send a Late Payment After a Mutual Agreement to Do So • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
This letter should assure your creditor that you are still committed to making prompt payments on your account. Use this opportunity to discuss the reasons why your payment is late.
How to write this credit letter:
- Refer to the current payment enclosed.
- Apologize for your payment being late and explain briefly why it is late, if appropriate.
- Thank your creditor for his or her understanding.
- Reaffirm your ability and commitment to keep the terms of your agreement.
Example Letter #1
I truly appreciate your patience with me. Your willingness to wait for these late payments has been most helpful. I have enclosed a check for $500.00, which should bring my account up to date. If there are any late charges due, please let me know. I should be able to stay current from this point on. Thanks again for your willingness to work with me.
Example Letter #2
Thank you for your patience in waiting for our rent payment. As you are aware, the base closing in our area has left many in our city without jobs, resulting in a severe decrease in our last quarter profits. As we agreed on the telephone this morning, I am enclosing a check for half of the rent on the warehouse/office complex. You will receive the balance on the fifteenth of the month. Our regular rent payments will resume on the first of next month. Thank you for your willingness to work with us in this matter.
Example Letter #3
I am grateful for your assurance that my late payment will not be reported as delinquent. Here enclosed is the payment for $45.00 toward my current account balance of $123.45. As we discussed briefly on the telephone, our recent move has thrown our household organization into turmoil. Many important papers were lost until just last week. We are getting straightened out and settled in, and I assure you this will not happen again. We thank you for your understanding in this matter.
Example Letter #4
Per our arrangement, I am sending partial payment of $678.90 toward my Doe's charge account balance. I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay. Please inform me of any late fees I have incurred. The delay is due to the difficulties of dealing with an overseas branch of my bank, but I have closed that account and foresee no further difficulties. I have always valued my dealings with Doe's and I thank you for your patience and flexibility toward my situation.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Refer to the current payment enclosed.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Enclosed is a check for $1,000.00, the full amount due on my account. Please notify me of any late charge I may have incurred.
- Please accept the enclosed check for $200.00 as payment toward my account balance.
- I have enclosed $550.00 with this letter to pay off my account.
- Please find enclosed a cashier's check in the amount of $1,556.00, which includes the late charges of $56.00.
- Per our telephone conversation, I have enclosed a check for $200.00 as partial payment to be applied towards the outstanding balance of $500.00.
- Enclosed is a check for $120.00 to be applied to my account balance.
- I am happy to say that we are overcoming our financial difficulties. Enclosed is a check for $2,309.58 to pay off January's balance.
- I have been eager to pay off this debt and am relieved to enclose a check for the entire amount.
- As agreed, I have enclosed a cashier's check for $500.00 to cover one half of the total amount owed on our account.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- am glad to get this to you
- am delighted to
- as payment in full
- as payment toward
- enclosed is a check for
- expect to be able to
- current payment enclosed
- for the amount due
- for the entire amount
- glad to finally
- have been eager to
- have enclosed a check for
- if there are any late fees
- our delayed check for
- to pay off our debt
- please let me know
- please accept the enclosed
- still owing on my account
- towards the outstanding balance of
- the full amount due
- this amount covers
- to be applied to
- to be paid toward
- toward my account balance
- will be able to pay
2 Apologize for your payment being late and explain briefly why it is late, if appropriate.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I apologize for not being able to get my payments to you on time. Your patience and consideration have been most appreciated.
- We apologize for the unexpected delays in getting our payments to you. We appreciate your willingness to work with us to find the best way to resolve this matter. Your kindness and amiable attitude have only strengthened our resolve to use your company's services in the future. We will be confident in referring others to you.
- We are sorry for the delay. Because of a new government regulation, we have had to delay production for several weeks. As you can imagine, this has caused us grave financial stress.
- Due to unanticipated financial difficulties, business has been slow. We apologize.
- We are sorry for the delays that you have encountered with our payments. We realize that this has undoubtedly created an awkward situation for you. However, we appreciate the manner in which you have worked with us to get our account up to date.
- As we discussed on the telephone, I have been struggling just to feed my family since the plant closed; however, I have just gotten a new job and anticipate no further late payments.
- As you are surely aware, this city is experiencing a recession which has affected most of the businesses in the area, including ours. For this reason our payment is late. We are sorry for the inconvenience and assure you that this is a temporary condition.
- Due to the unexpected illness of our son and the resulting hospital bill, we have been delayed in making our payments. However, we have sold one of our cars and are submitting all past due payments plus our next two payments.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- again, we apologize for
- anticipate no further late payments
- as you know
- as we discussed earlier
- as you can imagine
- assure you that
- because of a new
- did not anticipate that
- due to financial difficulties
- for this reason
- financial stress
- has severely strained our
- have had to delay
- is a temporary situation
- let you know that
- made business really slow
- our payment is late because
- sure you are aware
- understand our position
3 Thank your creditor for his or her understanding.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Please understand that even though this payment is late, we are committed to making prompt payments in the future.
- Thank you for your patience and understanding during this difficult time.
- We appreciate your willingness to work with us on this temporary problem and hope that we can continue to do business with you for years to come.
- Thank you for your kind understanding.
- You can expect our regular payments to resume on June 1. Until then, we appreciate your willingness to accept this late payment.
- We want to express our gratitude for your understanding.
- Thank you for working with me during this difficult time.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- can expect our regular payments
- doing business with you
- during this difficult time
- even though this payment was late
- for years to come
- hope that we can continue
- how grateful we are for
- how much we appreciate
- in the near future
- making prompt payments
- remain committed to
- sorry for the inconvenience
- thank you for
- thanks for your kindness
- thanks for working with me
- want you to know
- was so very nice of you
- your patience and understanding
- your allowing me to
- your willingness to
4 Reaffirm your ability and commitment to keep the terms of your agreement.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- Although we have experienced some temporary setbacks, we assure you that the circumstances that led to our delinquency have been resolved.
- In addition to having the resources to keep all our payments current in the future, we are committed to making our account with you a high priority and will ensure that we are not late again.
- I want to assure you that we will make all our future payments on schedule. In fact, if the pending sale of our home goes through, we will pay off our account early.
- Although this layoff caused us some temporary difficulties, I am now in a position to keep all my obligations on time. My current work phone number is 555-5555. If you need to contact me, feel free to call me there during the day or at home in the evening.
- You may rest assured that I will be prompt with all future payments.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- all future payments
- can depend on
- credit record
- declare my intention
- good intentions
- my reputation
- past history
- please be assured
- promise to make
- received on time
- return to prompt payment
- scheduled future payments
- solvent once again
- vital credit
- wish to assure you