Example Letter #1
During her stay with us January 12-14, General Secretary Doe will be reviewing the four alternative sites proposed for our memorial fountain. We are assigning you to host Secretary Doe in the afternoon of January 14 on a visit to Site B (adjacent the Springfield Botanical Gardens) and would like you to assist during that time in any way that will make her visit as informative and enjoyable as possible. In the course of the afternoon, would you please see to the following specific items:
(1) Meet Secretary Doe at 1:30 p.m. in the front lobby of our downtown office.
(2) Provide transportation from the office to Site B.
(3) As necessary, review with her the various advantages and disadvantages of Site B as discussed in our last chapter meeting. Solicit her own observations on the site.
(4) From Site B, escort her directly to Terminal 3 at the airport, arriving there no later than 4:00 p.m., and assist her to make her 5:00 p.m. flight.
Should you have any questions or need assistance with this hosting assignment, please call me. We are eager to make Secretary Doe's visit a pleasant one.
Example Letter #2
I want to give you a special assignment that I believe you will find enjoyable. Would you please coordinate this year's holiday gala. I recommend that you first meet with Jane Doe, who organized last year's party, and get her recommendations. She should have kept records on caterers, costs and other details. You should plan on the same budget as last year.
So we don't repeat the same thing each year, I suggest you get ideas from others outside the company. Perhaps even check out some party books from the library. Finally, please stay within the budget and advertise the party well in advance so everyone can plan to attend. Keep me up to date on your progress and let me know if I can be of further help. I know you will do a great job.
Example Letter #3
Mr. Doe has requested that you form a committee from all of our departments to explore the feasibility of expanding our operations to Springfield. You are authorized to devote up to 200 wage-hours to this project, to be divided however you see fit.
This is sure to be a demanding project, but I have no doubt you are up to the task. Please call me anytime if I can help. The final report is due on November 1.
Example Letter #4
I am sure you are aware that Doe is hosting a delegation from the Governor's office next week. I need your help in preparing the day's activities. Your duties will include:
You will need to call Eric in the Governor's office to get the details for items 1 through 3. If you have any questions about number 4, see me. Please give me a progress report this Friday before noon. This assignment should be your number one priority until you have made all the arrangements. Thank you.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
Delegate the task directly.
Specifically state how you expect the reader to proceed.
1. Confirm times with each department and make sure the assigned guides understand what to do.
2. Be sure that there are refreshments available for each group. You may wish to greet the guests yourself, but that can be delegated, if you are too busy. You worked with John on a similar project two years ago, so you are familiar with the process. Please come to a meeting in my office at 11 a.m. on Wednesday to discuss what needs to be done. Please collect the proposed menus for next month from the cafeteria manager, prepare a survey listing the choices, along with check-off options, and distribute the survey to all employees. Your biggest challenge will be getting the completed surveys back! You are aware of what needs to be done, so I won't attempt to micromanage this, but I would appreciate weekly reports on your progress. John Doe will provide technical support.
Offer your assistance.