Example Letter #1
Upon the recommendation of our search committee, we have offered the position of Director in Hematology to Dr. Jane Doe. She has accepted the position and will take up her new duties with us April 14. We are keenly aware of the important service you have given while this position was vacant. Without your willingness to step in temporarily, I don't know how we would have kept the ship afloat. Thanks to your selflessness and expertise, we averted serious problems that would otherwise have attended last winter's unexpected vacancy in this position.
Dr. Doe comes to us from a two-year post at the Springfield Medical Park, where she is known for her scholarship, her professionalism, and her personable manner with patients and colleagues. I fully expect a smooth (and, because of you, maybe even seamless) transition as she assumes leadership at Hematology.
Thanks again for the important role you so ably played during this time of change. We are indebted to you for all you have done.
Example Letter #2
I am very pleased with the way you have handled the temporary turmoil in the bagging section. Jane Doe, the new permanent manager, will arrive this Friday, and I would be happy if you would show her around. I am confident that this changeover will go smoothly and I hope you will be available to help if we have another crisis situation. Thank you.
Example Letter #3
I want to thank you personally for the excellent job you did as acting manager of the Springfield branch. It is comforting to know that I can rely on you in an emergency. You will be pleased to know that after an extensive search, we hired Jane Doe to be the new branch manager. Jane comes to us from Centerville National Bank, where she managed their largest branch for over ten years. We were very lucky to hire her.
I am sure that you and Jane will work well together. She is fortunate to have such an accomplished assistant manager.
Example Letter #4
Thank you for your loyalty and hard work these past two months. I appreciate that it must have been difficult for you to supervise the day crew, as well as doing your own work. You have done an admirable job of holding things together.
I am sure you will be relieved to hear that our new day crew supervisor, Jane Doe, will be starting next Monday. She has several years of experience with both pneumatic systems and team leadership. I am confident that you will enjoy working with her. I know I can rely on you to help her get settled into the job.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express appreciation to the employee. State clearly that you always understood his or her help to be temporary.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We very much appreciate your hard work as acting manager, which has helped us through a difficult period.
- You have done an outstanding job of holding the section together these past few weeks until a permanent supervisor could be found.
- You have done very well as temporary shift supervisor.
- Thank you for the dedication you have shown the past two months in running the media center, in addition to your regular duties.
- You have done an admirable job as acting director of Nursing Services this past month.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a difficult time
- accept my sincere appreciation
- accept our thanks for
- as a temporary
- as our acting
- for the dedication you have shown
- for all your hard work
- for a job well done
- for your hard work over the last
- have helped us through
- have done very well
- have done an admirable job
- have done an outstanding job
- holding things together
- thank you for
- these past few
- until we could find a permanent
- very much appreciate
- want to commend you for
- your efforts have
2 If you have hired a replacement to fill the position, tell the employee about the person and specifically mention his or her qualifications.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- After a number of interviews with the many qualified applicants, we have chosen Jane Doe to run the media center. She received her Master's degree from Doe State and has had five years of library, archival, and multimedia experience.
- I understand that John Doe, who has been with the company for nine years, has been invited to fill the position.
- Jane Doe will start work on June 1. She has had five years of supervisory experience and will be an asset to the company.
- Jane Doe will take over as shift supervisor on Monday. I believe you are already acquainted with her. She mentioned that she helped train you when you first joined the company, and she looks forward to working with you again.
- Our new director of Nursing Services, Jane Doe, will start work on July 1. At that time you will be able to return to your duties as assistant director of Nursing Services. Ms. Doe has impeccable credentials and has had extensive experience in geriatric care.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- after extensive interviews
- appointment is effective beginning
- can then return to
- has had fifteen years of experience in
- have invited her to
- has had extensive experience in
- many qualified applicants
- received her degree from
- this highly qualified person
- to your normal duties as
- to fill the position
- will take on the job
- will take control of
- will help with
- will report to
- will join us on
- will start work on
- will be an asset to
- will take over as
- will assume responsibility for
3 Express confidence in the employee's cooperation and future success.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I have worked with John before and know you will enjoy working with him. He will certainly have a very capable assistant!
- Thanks again for your help. I believe you have an excellent future with the company.
- We would appreciate your assistance in showing Ms. Doe the ropes. Thanks once more for your hard work and dependability.
- I know you will help make the transition as smooth as possible.
- She will certainly have a very fine assistant. We are confident that you will enjoy working with her.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- a very congenial
- am sure you will be pleased to
- an excellent future with
- are confident that you
- are sure that you
- as smoothly as possible
- for a transitional period of
- leads us to expect
- look forward to your development in
- please be prepared to
- please prepare some training notes for
- should now focus your attention on
- show him the ropes
- trust that you will
- want you to take on the task of
- will return to your position as
- will enjoy working with
- will have a very fine assistant
- will still need to take care of
- will help to make this transition
- would appreciate your further assistance in
- your own successful performance