Example Letter #1
The electrical load into the building has increased by nearly one half over what it was a year ago. This increase is mainly due to the large number of computers, printers, and copiers that are now in use. In order to keep up with the demand for electrical power, we must install another line into the building.
Please schedule a planning meeting with the building supervisor, the director of computer operations, and the electrical contractor as soon as possible. Since this work may involve some remodeling, consider how we might still function without undue interruptions. We will need everyone's cooperation. If you need secretarial help with the planning, contact Ms. Doe.
Example Letter #2
I meet with the board of directors next Monday to review the progress of our ongoing loan sale. Please prepare an update of your loan study so that I can illustrate the improvement in our loan-to-asset ratio over last quarter. I need it by 1:00 p.m. Friday. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call me.
Example Letter #3
I want you to make a sales presentation at Doe International when you are in Springfield. Your contact person there is John Doe. He has indicated his willingness to meet with you on June 14 or June 15.
Please meet with me on your return from this trip to discuss the results of the Doe presentation.
Example Letter #4
Please plan to attend the occupational safety meeting for all department heads Tuesday, April 27. We will need your department's response to the safety issues raised during the March 23 meeting with OSHA. Please have a copy of your agenda items on my desk by Monday and call me if you have any questions.
Issue a directive to see that someone performs a particular task. It may explain how and/or why the task is to be done.
1 State what needs to be done. Add explanations or details as necessary.
- I have read your proposal, and believe that it presents a sound approach to dealing with the problem. Please proceed as you have outlined.
- We are working with very strict deadlines and severe penalties on the Doe project. I need you to submit weekly progress reports, detailing what you have accomplished, what you are currently doing, and what remains to be done.
- I have attached a rough draft of the Doe proposal for your examination. Please check the figures and, if everything is in order, get it ready to submit.
- Please organize a tour of the plant for the Springfield High Science club. They are particularly interested in the manufacturing process.
- Please plan to attend the management training course at the Springfield Conference Center on Thursday and Friday next week. The details are in the accompanying brochure.
- Please study the attached proposal and let me know what you think of it.
- After the recent rash of burglaries, it's obviously time to increase our security. Please see that the following safety measures are completed:
1. fence the job site
2. box and lock all tools at the end of the work day
3. hire a night watchman
- according to the enclosed schedule
- have attached a copy of
- important new procedure
- is necessary to
- is important that
- make sure that
- need you to
- plan to attend
- please proceed as outlined
- please proceed with
- please prepare a
- please organize a
- prepare a tentative
- request that you
- see that everyone
- suggest that we
- take the following steps
- with the following
- would like you to
- you will need to
2 Give a deadline or arrange for follow-up or evaluation. Offer to answer questions if you like.
- Let's get together in my office at 9:30 next Tuesday morning to discuss this matter further. If you have any questions in the meantime, feel free to call.
- I will need to have these on my desk by Thursday afternoon of each week so that I can report to the board.
- Please be ready to report on this subject at our regular meeting on June 20. If there are further losses before then, please call me immediately.
- If you have questions about the schedule, please let me know.
- The bids are due by March 15, so you will need to begin work as soon as possible.
- I am sure you will find the course valuable to you, especially as you continue to rise in the company.
- We ask all our new employees to attend this course, and hope you will find it very worthwhile. If for any reason you are unable to attend, please speak to Jane Doe today.
- We need to make a decision by the end of next week.
- Please coordinate your work with Mrs. Jane Doe. You could leave a message for her at the school or call her at home after 3:00 p.m.
- a considerable penalty for
- as soon as possible
- be prepared to
- discuss this further
- feel free to call
- for final approval
- get together on
- if you have any questions
- if you need help
- is available to
- must be completed by
- need to have this by
- need any further information
- our deadline is
- plan to present
- please let me know
- please coordinate your work with
- will meet on
- will improve our
- will review this procedure on
- would appreciate hearing your opinion