Example Letter #1
Please be advised that beginning March 1, sales territories and quotas will be restructured, as you see from the attachment. Some changes may seem illogical, but rest assured that they have been made after careful consideration. One of our concerns has been that sales representatives have been spending more than half of their working nights away from their families. This creates undesirable stress for both the family and the company. We believe these adjustments will alleviate the stress to benefit all. We welcome your input and suggestions as we make the transition.
Example Letter #2
Explosive growth in the Las Vegas and Salt Lake City areas necessitates a realignment of our sales territories. Beginning December 1, 2019, we will split the Nevada/Utah territory. Nevada will be part of the Northern California territory under the direction of Robert Johnson. Utah will become a new area and will include all of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Eric Doe will direct the new territory.
We anticipate increased sales with this change since we can spend more time selling and less time traveling. Good luck to everyone in their new assignments. If there are any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to call.
Example Letter #3
At John Doe's request, we are restructuring your management responsibilities. We respect and want to honor your desire to relocate to Springfield to be near your ailing mother.
John will assume the Centerville operations. The Springfield position is very much as you left it, so you will be at home there. I know this is a good move for you and trust you will make your expertise available to John as he steps in. Jane in Personnel can answer any questions you may have about the relocation.
Example Letter #4
As a result of our recent merger with Doe Corporation, it has become necessary to restructure some departments. With our head office moving to Springfield, our personnel and accounting functions will move there too, but our sales territories and offices will remain the same. Please prepare current summaries and reports using the old system up to the end of this month. The accounting system will be changing thereafter.
Jane Doe in Personnel will be holding a series of meetings to explain the impact of the changes. Please refer any questions to her. Change is always unsettling, but I am confident that with your cooperation we can get through these developments with minimal disruption to our lives and jobs.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Identify the problem which has made the directive necessary.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Because of several changes in personnel during the last few weeks, we must reorganize the area you supervise.
- Recent downsizing in the company has necessitated some reshuffling of territories. We appreciate your recent suggestions and recommendations, and after careful thought have arrived at the following decisions:
- I appreciate your recent report on problems in your area, and agree that opening an office in Springfield would be a good move.
- You are no doubt aware that our recent merger with Doe Corporation has resulted in a number of changes to our organization. The most painful of these, the layoffs, are now complete. For the next few weeks we will be restructuring the affected departments.
- Our most recent studies suggest that there is strong market potential in the western states, just beyond the region that you now serve. To exploit this potential, we are restructuring sales territories.
- You have done a wonderful job with your territory, but we now have so many customers that it is no longer possible for you to keep in touch with all of them.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- after discussions with
- after our discussion
- appreciate your suggestions
- are no doubt already aware
- as you are aware
- because of several changes
- for optimal use of
- have made this change necessary
- in order to
- must agree that
- need to reorganize
- no longer possible to
- our recent merger with
- recent downsizing
- recently completed a
- restructuring our territories
- serve our customers more effectively
- strong market potential
- studies suggest
- the recent changes in
- to make better use of
- to improve efficiency
- use of our resources
- will surely agree that
- your report on
2 Specify what will change.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Jane Doe will replace Robert Johnson as your assistant and Robert will receive a transfer to the Chicago office, as he requested.
- It is necessary for us to close the Springfield office. Please put this into motion, transferring active accounts to our Centerville branch. Make every effort to reassign those employees who are willing to relocate.
- Go ahead with establishing a branch office in Springfield. Please advertise the new office positions to current personnel first.
- Please reorganize your staff to fill vacancies created by the layoffs. Any serious gaps need to be filled from within the organization. If you can't find qualified people in your current labor pool, submit a request to the central personnel office to see who is available.
- Your territory will now include Utah and Nevada to the west, while we will reassign your two Midwestern states, Indiana and Ohio, to John Doe. You will keep your current sales force, except those in the "lost" states. Those people will now work for John. You may reassign existing personnel and hire new people as necessary to get the new area going.
- I realize it is hard to lose territory, but we would like you to focus your energies on your northern customers. John Doe will take over everything south of Springfield. With this route division you will keep 70% of your established customers with less than half of the travel.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- adjust your staff assignments to
- changes are necessary if we are to
- close down the
- establish a hiring freeze
- go ahead with
- hire new people to
- if you are unable to
- in the future please
- increase our overall efficiency
- is necessary for us to
- make every effort to
- need to focus our efforts on
- need to reassign
- new responsibilities will include
- reassign existing personnel
- will increase our effectiveness
- will no longer be
- will replace
- will transfer to
- will now include
- will take over from
3 Close by expressing confidence in the reader and offer to answer any questions.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Thanks for all of your good work. You are welcome to have people call me if they have questions or problems with their new assignments.
- Again, we appreciate your work in this area. If you have questions or problems, please contact me immediately.
- I am confident that you will make a success of this. If you have questions, please fax them to me. I will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Now that the disruptions are over, we need to build morale and boost productivity. I am confident that you are the right person for the job. Contact me if you have questions.
- Good luck with the new territory. Please call me if you have any questions or problems with this assignment.
- I trust this will be a lucrative change for you, as you will be spending more of your time selling.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- although change is always difficult
- am confident that
- appreciate the fine job you do
- are welcome to
- best wishes for
- call me if
- can't think of a better person to
- feel free to
- good luck with
- have confidence in
- if you have any questions
- in the long run
- iron out any problems
- is important that we
- please contact me
- right person for the job
- thank you for
- trust that you
- want you to know that
- will make a great success of
- will all benefit from