Example Letter #1
I have observed your class on several occasions now, and find your enthusiasm and love for learning very contagious. You know how to inspire others to do their best. We are fortunate to have you with us.
As you know, it is time to hold our annual career workshops for the juniors and seniors. We hope you will be willing to host a session on opportunities for graduate studies. You are clearly the best person for the job, and I know you can make a significant contribution. Please drop by my office next week so we can talk about it.
Example Letter #2
I was glad to hear you had finished your article but didn't realize until I read it what a remarkable job you had done. I can only imagine the time and patience it took to gather and analyze all the data, let alone to present it in such a revealing way. Jane and I have taken the liberty of sharing it with some of our friends and they are equally impressed.
You undoubtedly have a promising future in journalism as you continue to do this type of investigative reporting. What you are doing is a great service to all of us. We hope you will continue.
Example Letter #3
I understand that we landed the Doe account and that your participation was essential. Your persistence and attention to detail have paid off. Jane Doe specifically asked for you to stay on and manage the account. I have no doubt that you will show the same high level of commitment as account manager. Well done. We are proud to have you on our side.
Example Letter #4
I want to express my sincere thanks and congratulations on the release of the most recent version of our software. Without your leadership, dedication, and long hours of hard work, we would not have been able to meet our deadline or create such a fine product. We have already begun to receive positive feedback from customers who have received the software, and we expect to reach a new group of customers who will appreciate the ease with which they can use the program.
Your contribution to this project cannot be overstated. We look forward to many productive years and new projects.
Example Letter #5
I am very grateful for the work of all the volunteers at the Springfield Free Clinic. Your willingness to volunteer your time and your professional expertise are what keeps the Clinic going. Last year the Clinic helped an average of 300 patients a month.
I hope we can count on you next year to continue to donate one four-hour shift a month to the Clinic and to encourage your colleagues and employees to donate their time as well. Each of you continues to be a great asset to our organization. Thank you for all you do.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Praise the work the reader has already done.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- The results are in, and we have exceeded our sales goal by almost 20%. This is exciting news. We should all be proud since it is the result of the tireless and dedicated effort of our sales team.
- I was very impressed by your presentation to the school board last Tuesday. You had obviously thought the matter through carefully, and you spoke eloquently and persuasively.
- Your innovative approach to seemingly impossible problems has been an inspiration to all of us through a very difficult year. You have helped us end the season in much better shape than we thought possible only a few months ago.
- Congratulations on closing over $200,000 of sales this month. Let me be the first to welcome you to this month's 200 club. You will be honored at our next sales meeting. Please be prepared to share some of your winning strategies.
- Your presentation with explanatory visuals was outstanding. I was especially impressed by the way you fielded tough questions from the press.
- I heard that Doe Corporation announced their final acceptance of our bid proposal today. I know you worked hard on this project and I thank you personally for your good work.
- You've done a great job of bringing up your math grade. I know it's been a struggle for you, and that B+ looks terrific.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a significant achievement
- a great accomplishment
- all your hard work
- an inspiration to
- can be very proud of
- congratulations on your
- due in very large measure to
- hard work paid off
- have done a great job of
- have exceeded our
- innovative approach to
- is the result of
- let me be the first to
- not always been easy
- should be proud of
- so very pleased
- tireless effort to
- was greatly impressed by
- was especially impressed by
- were delighted by
- were so happy to hear
2 Motivate for future performance.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- We have every reason to believe that next year can be even stronger. Let's set our sights even higher. Exceeding this year's performance by another 25% is not unrealistic. All we need to do is to work hard and work smart.
- I do hope you will continue to keep abreast of educational issues and speak out for the benefit of our children. You are an asset to the community.
- The challenges are not over yet, but it is good to know that you are willing to tackle them head-on. Keep up the good work.
- Be ready for more assignments like this in the future.
- With your interpersonal skills and hard work, I have full confidence that we will be seeing you at more 200 club meetings.
- I look forward to seeing more of your work.
- Don't stop now. If you keep on the way you have been going, you should end up with an A!
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- all we need to do is
- be ready for more
- can be even
- continue to perform
- continuing record of achievement
- even better than
- every reason to
- expecting great things from
- hope you will continue
- in the future
- is good to know that
- keep abreast of
- keep on going
- keep up the good work
- look forward to
- need your continued
- never been a better time to
- not over yet
- set our sights even higher
- will end up with
3 Express appreciation and/or confidence in your reader and offer any appropriate assistance.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Thank you for the great effort you made this year. I am proud to work with you.
- I am pleased to work with the finest sales force in the business.
- If you need any help, I would be happy to get involved.
- I am looking forward to having you with us and am sure that you will continue to be a great asset to the company.
- We are certainly proud to be associated with you.
- Your new position involves broader responsibilities and even higher expectations, but you have already shown that you can meet these challenges.
- We're all rooting for you.
- You have a bright future with the company.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- am looking forward to
- am confident that
- best wishes for
- bright outlook for
- continue to be a great asset
- express our appreciation in advance
- happy to support
- how much we appreciate
- if you need any
- keep this up
- know that you will
- meet the challenges of
- our continued association
- pleased to work with
- proud to work with
- sincerest thanks and congratulations
- thank you for
- want you to know
- with your help
- would be happy to