Example Letter #1
I have just received a bill for the cost of your self-improvement seminar that began on September 12. I signed up for the seminar and paid the initial fee of $25.00 on that date, but I withdrew for health reasons three days later on September 15. Your office agreed that I should receive a full refund of my initial payment, for which I was grateful. I am sure you will find a record of that check being sent to me.
I trust you will correct your records so that neither of us will be troubled by this again. I do hope to attend the seminar if it is held again in Springfield. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Example Letter #2
My monthly cable bill just arrived in the amount of $28.60, $6.00 more than the usual charge of $22.60. I have not requested additional services and do not find any explanation for this additional charge. I have enclosed my check #902 for $28.60, but believe the added charge is an error. If it is, simply credit my account with the difference. Please let me know where the error lies. My telephone number is 555-5555.
Example Letter #3
I received the bill for the repair your service representative made on my Doe clothes dryer. He told me the total cost would be $67.00, yet the bill is for $167.00. The repairman was at my home for only forty-five minutes. Hence, the bill seems excessive as well as incongruous with the quote he gave me. Please correct the error.
Example Letter #4
I wish to register a complaint regarding the $5.00 charge on my phone bill from Doe Long Distance Companies. Since Doe is not my long distance carrier and to my knowledge has never provided me with any services whatsoever, I have requested that my bank stop the automatic payment on my phone bill. I am enclosing a check for the remaining $57.49 that I owe, and I request that you remove the Doe charge from my account.
Since this is not the first time I have received a charge from Doe, please investigate this error and inform me of the steps you are taking to avoid this problem in the future.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Point out the billing error. Ask for correction or further information either in this opening statement or in the last paragraph.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We have received our loan statement, and do not think the late charges are warranted. Please correct the statement and send us a corrected copy.
- I called you this morning about the "past due" bill I received for an amount I had already paid.
- This quarter's savings account statement does not reflect a $742 deposit I made on May 30.
- I received the enclosed statement from your office. It indicates that I am liable for the $90 payment, as well as my co-payment.
- I recently received an order of bead necklaces and earrings for my accessories store. Your invoice #7654 indicates that I owe $498, but the catalog price for my order was $370.
- My invoice this month was 20% higher than usual, with no explanation for the increase.
- There appears to be a discrepancy between one of the charges on my latest credit card statement, and the transaction receipt I received from the store.
- After two letters and several telephone calls over the past two months, in an attempt to get my daughter's (Jane Doe's) money refunded or credited, I appreciate your assurance that you will now credit the money to her Doe account.
- My last two statements reflect a charge for a watch that I returned less than a week after its purchase.
- There is an error on my monthly statement, and I would appreciate your correcting it.
- I have just received your letter concerning a missing mortgage payment, but according to my records, I have not missed a payment.
- I am enclosing a copy of this month's billing, which does not reflect last month's payment.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a discrepancy between our records and
- a discrepancy between your invoice and
- according to my records
- according to your statement
- after making several telephone calls
- am enclosing a copy of
- an error has been made
- catalog price for my order was
- discovered a billing error in
- does not reflect your catalog prices
- draw your attention to
- enclosed is a copy of
- gave no explanation for
- has not been updated
- have already paid the
- have never missed a payment
- have enclosed a payment for the
- have made a mistake
- have records of our payments
- invoice #9999 indicates that I owe
- kindly resolve the error as quickly as possible
- late charges were not warranted
- late charges are not warranted because
- received another "past due" notice
- request an explanation of the
- send an updated statement reflecting
- send me a corrected copy of the
- should have deleted the
- statement reflects a charge for
- statements do not match our records
- the enclosed copies of our receipts
- to a billing error
- was not reflected on this statement
- will appreciate prior notice of changes to
- wish to register a complaint
- would appreciate prior notice of rate increases
- would appreciate your correcting the error
2 Give any information that will assist the reader in investigating the error. Give precise dollar amounts, check numbers, etc. Refer to any enclosed photocopies.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- We mailed our April payment, check number 456 for $350, on March 31. It was returned to us with a note stating that we had made the payment twice. Enclosed please find a copy of the note that we received on April 7. We immediately called Mrs. Doe. She indicated that an error had been made, and we mailed the check again on April 8, after the late charge date. This was just an unfortunate mix-up, but it seems unfair to make us pay for it.
- As we discussed, here are the copies of the original and the "past due" bills, and both sides of my canceled check #456 dated August 3 of this year.
- I have enclosed a copy of my deposit receipt. My account number, 54321, is correct on the receipt.
- I understood from our discussion that you would accept the payment from my insurance company as payment in full. I have now received this additional bill.
- I am enclosing a copy of my order form. Please note that I placed my order on May 24, a full three weeks before the catalog prices expired.
- We were not informed of a rate increase.
- As you will see from the enclosed copy, my store receipt shows a charge of $45.67. The statement shows a charge of $450.67 for that transaction.
- As we agreed on the telephone, I have also marked the amount of interest she has been charged over this time, so that it can be included in the credit.
- I am enclosing copies of my original receipt dated February 10, and the credit slip dated February 15.
- Enclosed are copies of all my canceled checks since the previous statement. As you can see, the number of payments and the total amount paid are both as they should be.
- I received my canceled check (copy enclosed) for $97.55 before the new billing date, so it seems unlikely that you received it late.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a decimal point seems to have been misplaced
- appears on my receipt dated
- are returning these invoices
- are both as they should be
- both sides of my canceled check
- copies of our records and your billing statement
- correct the balance on the next billing cycle
- credit my account with
- did not notify us of the rate increase
- enclosed are copies of relevant statements
- enclosed is payment in full for
- for your review
- have yet to notify us concerning
- have enclosed copies of
- have received no word regarding
- have enclosed a copy of
- hope these further details will assist you
- information is not correct
- let me know how you plan to correct
- mailed our payment on
- my account number is
- note the following corrections to
- our name was misspelled on
- received my canceled check before
- remove the charge from our account
- send me an itemized statement for
- send us an itemized statement
- services rendered and paid for on
- should have received the payment well before
- the documentation I have provided
- the overpayment from next month's charges
- these late charges and penalties are not warranted
- unlikely that you received my check late
3 Request cooperation in resolving the error.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Thank you for your cooperation in correcting this error.
- This is the second time this error has occurred in three months, and I would appreciate your adjusting your billing procedure appropriately, so that we can both spend our time more productively.
- Please check your records, and let me know when this deposit has been credited to my account.
- Please clarify this with your billing office, and send me a revised statement.
- Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.
- Please send me an adjusted invoice, so that I can pay the correct amount.
- Will you please send me a corrected invoice reflecting our agreed-upon rates? We will pay it promptly, as usual.
- Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. I have provided you with documentation below.
- Please investigate this as soon as possible and send me a corrected bill.
- I would appreciate a prompt correction of my account.
- Kindly remove the erroneous charge from my bill.
- Please send written confirmation that my account has been credited with the correct amount.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- apply the difference to
- check your records and correct this error
- check your records
- credit our account with
- disregard the previous letter
- for your prompt attention to
- for your cooperation
- give this your personal attention
- help us to close this account immediately
- investigate this error
- is not the first time this
- kindly remove the erroneous charge from my account
- late charges should be removed
- let me know
- please inform me as to how you intend to
- please subtract the overpayment from
- reflecting these payments
- remove the charge from our account
- request your cooperation in
- resolve this discrepancy
- return my check immediately
- send me a corrected invoice
- send written confirmation of
- send me a new bill
- showing our agreed-upon rates
- thank you for
- to avoid future misunderstandings
- what you intend to do to
- when this deposit has been credited to my account
- will appreciate your prompt attention
- will appreciate your cooperation
- with the overpayment