Example Letter #1
Thank you for taking the time to interview me yesterday for the Department Secretary position. My years of experience as a secretary for a legal firm have taught me as much about working with people as it has about secretarial skills, and I believe I could work well with your faculty and staff; in fact, it would be a pleasure to work with them. I look forward to your reply.
Example Letter #2
I appreciated the opportunity I had yesterday to interview with you. Our meeting reminded me of the reason I first considered your company for employment, namely your reputation for friendly service. I believe that in today's competitive market, it is friendly service that gives a competitive edge in keeping customers coming back. I gained that conviction during experience in public relations with the Doe Corporation. If hired, I promise to uphold your company's reputation for friendly, efficient service. I look forward to hearing from you.
Example Letter #3
It was kind of you to meet with me this afternoon to discuss employment opportunities with the Doe Corporation. As we discussed my background, it became clear that my knowledge, skills, and work experience best prepare me for work in your Programming Department. It would be a pleasure, indeed an honor, to work among such giants in the industry. If hired, I believe I too could contribute to your corporation in a meaningful and productive way. I hope to be an important contributor to your vision of the future. Thank you for your consideration.
Example Letter #4
Thank you for allowing me to interview for the position of executive secretary. Because of the four years' experience I have as an executive secretary, I feel I am well-suited for the job. I think you will also find me extremely reliable--I do what I say I will do and I get it done on time. Doe Corp. is very enticing. I think I could be an asset for the company. Please contact me as soon as you have made a decision regarding the position.
Example Letter #5
I am grateful to you for taking time yesterday to meet with me. Our interview answered many questions I had about the position. Happily, I now feel I am even better suited to the job than I had anticipated. My experience overseas has prepared me for the challenges of managing international transfers for Doe. The prospect of my association with your firm is very pleasant indeed. In addition to rewarding work and an excellent benefits package, Doe's reputation is unsurpassed. I respectfully urge you to consider inviting me to enjoy the team. I will be pleased to provide you with any additional you may need. I look forward to your call.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express appreciation for the time the interviewer spent with you.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Thank you for taking the time to discuss employment opportunities at Doe International with me.
- I appreciate your courtesy and the time you took to answer my questions during my visit this morning.
- Thank you for the pleasant interview we had on Monday. You were very helpful in explaining the job requirements.
- Thank you for meeting with me yesterday. I appreciate your insights and advice.
- I appreciated our meeting in your office yesterday and found the interview very informative.
- Thank you for the time and courtesy you extended to me at our interview this morning.
- Meeting with you yesterday was a pleasure. I appreciate the time you took out of your busy schedule as well as the information you gave me.
- Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn more about the management position currently available at the Doe plant.
- I enjoyed meeting with you this morning to discuss the secretarial opening in the catering department at Doe's.
- I appreciate the time you took yesterday to discuss the possibility of my becoming the head nurse at Doe's Health Center.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- appreciate your taking the time last week
- appreciate your courtesy during my visit
- appreciate your evaluation of my education and experience
- appreciate the time you spent with me
- appreciate the time you took to answer my questions
- came away excited about the position
- enjoyed our meeting
- for the time and courtesy you extended to me
- for allowing me to meet with you regarding the position
- for the opportunity to discuss the position
- for the informative and pleasant interview
- for taking time out of your busy schedule
- for the time you spent with me in your office on
- honored to be considered for the position
- it was good to meet with you
- it was a pleasure speaking with you
- our meeting was an interesting and stimulating experience
- please extend my thanks to
- returned from our meeting with many of my questions answered
- sincerely appreciate your advice
- thank you for meeting with me
- thank you for discussing the position with me
- thank you for the time you spent with me on
- thank you for your interest
- thanks again for the interview
- the tour was interesting and informative
- the time you took out of your busy schedule
- the valuable information you offered
- the insight you provided was valuable
- to discuss employment opportunities with me
- was most impressed with you and the company
- was a pleasure meeting with you on Monday in your office
- was most pleasant to meet with you on
- was a pleasure to meet you
- were very helpful in explaining the position requirements
- would like to take some time to thank you for the interview
2 Restate the special skills you will bring to the job. Focus on the skills that the interviewer regarded as important. Include, briefly, important information not mentioning during the interview.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- As you can see from the extra copy of my resume I have enclosed, I have precisely the kind of background and experience Doe's is looking for.
- Now that many of my questions have been answered, I am even more interested in the position. My four years of experience in sales management should help me to perform effectively with minimal training.
- I feel confident that my qualifications and background in technical support would enable me to make a valuable contribution to Doe's.
- Although it is true that I have little experience in some of the areas we discussed, I believe I more than make up for this with my enthusiasm, persistence and willingness to learn. I am always eager to confront new challenges.
- My professional experience and educational background qualify me for the position we discussed, and I am eager to meet the challenges presented by Doe's rapid growth.
- Please consider the following points which I feel qualify me for the position we discussed:
- Our discussion of the job description and my qualifications left me feeling very positive about the possibility of my joining your team.
- I am sure my extensive computer experience could be an asset during the pending reorganization of the accounting department.
- I have worked in the past with several of your suppliers, and am certain I can adapt quickly to Doe's purchasing procedures.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- ability to generate fresh ideas
- am interested in the position
- am ready for any starting date
- am always eager to confront new challenges
- am a hard worker and a dependable, loyal employee
- am sure my extensive experience will be an asset
- as you can see
- background has provided me with an understanding
- believe that my experience
- can produce creative solutions to problems
- can devote time to researching alternatives
- can step into the position with a minimum of training
- capable of handling and prioritizing many problems at once
- committed to completely utilizing every asset available
- desire to do my best work at all times
- eager to meet the challenges we discussed
- feel confident in my ability
- feel very positive about the possibility of
- feel confident that my qualifications
- have a program in mind
- have great energy and enthusiasm for the work
- have precisely the kind of background you are looking for
- have worked with several of your suppliers
- have a positive attitude
- have the type of background
- including hands-on experience
- more than make up for this with my persistence and willingness
- most of the same problems occur where I currently work
- my five years of experience
- my previous experience will be an immense help
- my diverse background
- my background has prepared me well
- need someone who can manage new challenges without
- perform the duties to everyone's satisfaction
- qualify me for the position
- seek and am qualified for
- should help me perform effectively
- skills uniquely qualify me for this position
- the skills I have to offer are
- the communications skills necessary for the position
- the analytical skills necessary for the position
- think my skills could be an asset to
- very challenging and rewarding
- welcome growing responsibilities
- will reach and exceed your expectations
- will be an asset to your company
- with a lot of room for growth
- would enable me to make a valuable contribution to
- would like to present these solutions in more detail
- would enable me to perform the duties
3 Show your interest in the company.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I particularly enjoyed the tour of the plant, and would enjoy meeting with you to discuss some ideas about solving the problems you pointed out.
- I am most favorably impressed by Doe's, and particularly with your careful quality control.
- The research Doe's is doing in the area of toxic waste disposal and control is of pressing importance. I would be honored to participate in this vital work.
- Doe's employee education programs are impressive, and I look forward to learning more about them.
- I have been impressed with the quality of your products ever since you introduced your first Doe calculator twenty years ago. I would be delighted to be part of your design team.
- Doe's has a solid reputation in the field of composites research and manufacturing, and I believe I could learn a great deal even as I make significant contributions.
- I was thoroughly impressed by the tour. Such a stimulating environment must surely bring out the creativity in all your workers.
- I was particularly impressed with the innovative steps Doe's is taking to ensure the most compassionate care for its elderly patients.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- am definitely interested in the job
- am eager to be in the field with
- appreciate the fact that your company is
- being part of your team is an exciting prospect
- believe I can make a significant contribution
- could offer a long-lasting career
- find the position an attractive opportunity
- greatly impressed with you and your company
- has a solid reputation in this field of manufacturing
- eager to learn more about
- involved in one of the most pressing concerns of our day
- know I would enjoy working at
- look forward to spending a day with
- most impressed with
- particularly enjoyed the tour of the facility
- particularly with your careful quality control
- the research Doe is doing is of pressing importance
- the tour was great
- the innovative steps you are taking
- the tour and briefing were very interesting
- would be honored to participate in this vital work
- would be an honor to join your staff
- would enjoy meeting with you to discuss some ideas
4 Ask for either the job or a second interview.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- I believe I would enjoy working for Doe's, and I am confident that my qualifications meet your criteria for the opening we discussed. I hope you will consider me for the position.
- I believe that my skills would make me an asset to the company, and I hope to start working for Doe's in the near future. Please call me if you need additional information.
- The position we discussed is most attractive, and I am sure my qualifications match your needs. I would like to work with Doe's, and look forward to hearing from you.
- Joining your team is a very inviting prospect, and I will be happy to furnish you with any other information you may need.
- I hope your review of my qualifications will lead to our working together soon.
- I have enrolled in the course you recommended, and will ask for another interview at its completion.
- I am strongly interested in the position we discussed, and look forward to meeting with you again.
- Thank you for introducing me to the other members of the engineering department. I believe I could work well in cooperation with them. I look forward to hearing from you.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- am strongly interested in the position we discussed
- ask for another interview
- call you later this week to set up a second appointment
- don't hesitate to call
- have enrolled in the course you recommended
- hope your consideration of the applicants will result
- hope you will consider me for one of the positions we discussed
- keep this in mind when considering me for placement
- let me know if we can speak again
- let me know if I can be of service to you
- let me know if this time is convenient
- look forward to another interview with you
- look forward to meeting with you again
- look forward to forging a business relationship
- please call me
- please keep my resume in your files for future reference
- to be considered for the position of
- will look forward to hearing from you
- will ask for another interview at that time
- will phone you to see what we can arrange
- will call to see if we can set up a time for further discussion
- will telephone your office later to discuss this further
- would like to discuss
- would be an honor to join your team
- would appreciate a call
- would like to work with you
- would enjoy working together
- would be a privilege to join your staff