Example Letter #1
Two years ago I interviewed with a representative from your company at Doe University. At that time I was informed that you wanted applicants to have two years work experience in a related field before applying for positions in marketing. For the past two years I have worked as an analyst for Doe Incorporated, gaining valuable experience in market analysis, and now I would like to pursue a position with your firm. I feel I am much better qualified now to meet your needs than I was when I graduated. I have enclosed my resume for your review. I can be reached at 555-5555 to arrange for an interview. I hope to hear from you soon.
Example Letter #2
I enjoyed our meeting last November, and appreciated your advice to sharpen my language skills. Not only have I successfully completed an upper division refresher course in Portuguese, but I have spent two nights a week in a Portuguese discussion group. I now feel I am fully prepared to take the language exam and renew my application for a position in the immigration office. I have enclosed an updated copy of my resume, and will be available to meet with you at your earliest convenience. Thank you.
Example Letter #3
I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to interview with you when you visited the Doe University campus last March. You may remember that we discussed our common interest in science fiction. At the end of our meeting, you mentioned that I could expect a call from you within four to six weeks. Six weeks have passed since our meeting, so I am writing to ask whether the position in your recording studio is still open? If so, I am still very interested in the position, and feel that my experience with Doe Studies qualifies me to fill it well. I would appreciate any information you may have regarding this opening. Please feel free to call me at 555-5555.
Example Letter #4
If you will recall, I applied for the custodian job Doe Inc. advertised last summer. However, I could not work the hours the job required. I noticed in last week's paper that another custodial job is available. I am still interested in the position as well as Doe Inc. I have quit my second job and now have greater flexibility in scheduling work. I am available fifty hours a week. Please consider me for the job. If you would like to arrange an interview time, please call me at 555-5555.
Example Letter #5
We spoke last April regarding an open position in your art department. At that time I was two weeks from graduating with honors from the Springfield Art Institute. I am writing to let you know I am again searching for a friendly environment in which to ply my trade. Since we spoke I have worked as a production artist at Doe's, and my portfolio has grown considerably. I would very much like the opportunity to meet with you again. I am certain I can bring an important talent to your department. Please contact me to arrange a convenient meeting time.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Mention your previous contact, with just enough detail to identify yourself.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I am writing to follow up on the letter and resume I sent you on February 16 last year. I am a systems analyst with four years of management experience.
- I want to thank you for your candor in explaining why you did not choose me for the position I interviewed for two years ago. I understand that you wanted someone with more than my one year of experience in health care administration. I now have three years of experience.
- I very much enjoyed our interview on March 12, regarding my application for the software engineer position. I understand that you had many applicants for the job.
- Nearly a year ago you and I met to discuss an opening in your sales department. We were in the process of setting up a second meeting when I called to let you know that I had accepted a position at Doe's.
- May I ask whether the position in your accounting office, for which I applied on January 30, is still open?
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- am writing to follow-up on my inquiry for employment
- at that time I sent a cover letter and resume
- called to let you know I had accepted another position
- feel I should explain further
- have deactivated my file
- have renewed interest
- is the position I applied for last
- nearly a year ago we met to discuss an opening
- since I have not had a response, I can only infer
- the position I interviewed for last
- turned down your offer, but would like to reopen communications
- want to thank you for your candor in explaining why I did not receive the position
- wanted to thank you for our interview on
- were in the process of setting up a second meeting
2 Express continued interest in the position or the company.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I am still in the market for a position that matches my qualifications.
- I hope you will consider me for other positions that may open in the maintenance department. I am eager to work for a company of Doe's stature.
- I was particularly interested in your ideas for educational software for very young children, and have been experimenting with my own preschooler.
- I realize that I may seem overqualified, but I am eager to gain the computer experience that this entry-level position would provide.
- For reasons I will review with you when we meet, I would like to make a move, so I am interested in reopening our discussions.
- I am still very interested in the job, and hope that you will consider me for it.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a position that matches my qualifications
- am still in the market for a position
- am determined to be your choice
- am eager to work for a company of Doe's stature
- am still very interested in the position
- am eager to gain the experience
- as you continue your search
- feel we could both benefit from working together
- for reasons I will review with you when we meet
- have been experimenting
- hope you will consider me for this post
- hope you will consider me for other positions that may open
- if any positions become available
- keep my accomplishments in mind
- perhaps when you were looking
- realize that I may seem overqualified
- realize I must start somewhere
- sounds like something I would be interested in
- was particularly interested in your ideas
- would like to make a move
- am interested in reopening our discussion
3 Give additional information that shows your suitability for the position.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I am willing to relocate, either within the United States or overseas.
- I have worked on several projects since our conversation, and am enclosing an updated copy of my resume.
- I have enclosed a resume, but, in brief, I have been working as a nurse for seventeen years. For the past five years I have specialized in emergency care.
- I enjoy office work and learn quickly, so I know I could make a positive contribution immediately.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- am enclosing an updated copy of my resume
- enjoy all the aspects of office work
- enjoy this type of work, and can learn quickly
- have enclosed a resume
- have worked on several projects since our conversation
- have enclosed a resume for your perusal
- have spent countless hours doing this type of work
- have confidence in my ability to learn
- must start somewhere
- send a copy of my most recent article with this letter
- so I know I could make a positive contribution immediately
- willing to relocate
4 Invite the reader's consideration and further contact.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- I thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you.
- If any other suitable positions become available, I would be happy to hear from you.
- Please don't hesitate to call me at 555-5555.
- Please leave a message on my answering machine. I check it every hour or two, so I will be able to get back to you promptly.
- I hope we can get together soon. I will call you early next week.
- I would like to know soon so I can make appropriate arrangements. Please feel free to call me any time at 555-5555.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- don't hesitate to call me
- happy to send any additional information
- hope we can get together soon
- if you need an updated resume
- look forward to hearing from you
- look forward to speaking with you again
- other suitable positions open
- please feel free to call me any time
- please write or call me
- please leave a message on my answering machine
- so that I can make appropriate arrangements
- thank you for your time
- will call when you have a free moment
- will call you early next week
- will stay in touch with your permission
- will get back to you promptly
- would be happy to hear from you
- would like to know soon
- would like to know right away