Follow Up After a Sales Presentation or Demonstration • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
This letter reminds a customer or potential customer of your continued willingness to serve him or her. Don't duplicate previous sales pitches but offer something new, such as more information or a special discount. You may write two or more letters, one very soon after the presentation and another a few weeks later.
How to write this follow-Up letter:
- Thank the reader for the interest he or she has shown in your product or service. If this is a follow-up to a follow-up, ask whether the reader received or enjoyed the materials you sent.
- Emphasize the features that most impressed the reader, or those that will best meet his or her needs.
- Encourage the reader to place an order, explaining how easy it will be.
Example Letter #1
I enjoyed our time together yesterday. Our showroom is a good place to get ideas for your interior decorating. I'm looking forward to starting work on your designs.
I want to follow up on one question you asked. The wallpaper you chose does come in both smooth and textured. My initial suggestion is that you lean toward the textured feel, because it will complement the carpet you chose. I have a catalog of colors that you should see before you make your final decision. May I stop by next week so you can take a look? Please call me at your earliest convenience and let me know.
Example Letter #2
Thanks for test-driving the Mustang yesterday. I'm glad you had a chance to take it for a spin. Doesn't it have incredible power?
I could tell how much you enjoyed the Mustang, but I forgot to give you one piece of crucial information. You should consider waiting to purchase the Mustang until next weekend. That marks our annual factory sale when the manufacturer kicks in some considerable rebates and a low interest rate. This could save you thousands off the price we discussed. (We haven't released this information yet, but I thought you'd like to know.)
Hope to see you this weekend.
Example Letter #3
I enjoyed our lunch meeting yesterday.
I appreciated the opportunity to show you samples of my business-to-business videos. Your comment about being able to visualize your business and products on camera was astute. Without a doubt, you have a product line that should be shown off through the visual medium of video.
I have taken the opportunity to send you another of my tapes that I created for a client with a similar business. I think this video provides another strong example of my work and will give you an idea of how we might approach your product line. Please review the tape at your convenience.
I will call you later this week to set up an appointment to discuss scripting your video. I look forward to working with you.
Example Letter #4
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to present my insurance proposal to you. I enjoyed meeting you.
I'd like to follow up on a couple of questions you raised and point out some key points of the policy.
*(list questions and answers and prominent points)
Finally, I want to point out the terrific savings on this policy. (Describe money-savings features.) That's quite a sum over the years.
As promised, I will contact you at the end of this week to answer any questions. In the meantime, please feel free to call me at 555-5555.
Example Letter #5
Thank you for meeting with me last week. I appreciated your giving me the chance to present my ideas. Here are some of the key points we discussed:
*(list prominent points of the meeting)
Working with you is very exciting for me. I look forward to talking with you next week.
Example Letter #6
Thank you for stopping by my booth at the Springfield SummerFest. I appreciate your inquiry concerning the wonderful things Doe Toys has to offer. We have just received the fall catalogs, which include all products are now available. Contact Jane at 555-5555 if you are interested in receiving one. Price increases on some general distribution toys will be in effect September 6.
If you would like to earn free Doe Toys, you might want to consider hosting a "toy time" open house, or if your club or organization would like to raise funds selling toys, you can earn 25% of the retail cost of any toy. I am currently scheduling "toy times" only through November, but I can work out a fund raising agreement any time. I will be happy to work with you.
Example Letter #7
Thank you for letting me demonstrate the Doe Cleaning System last week. It truly a remarkable improvement over other types with which you are familiar. I know you will be pleased with how the system cleans carpets and helps them retain their new appearance for years.
I have enclosed information on our payment plan options, and a flyer detailing this month's purchasing incentive. If you purchase the Doe vacuum, and provide us with two demonstration referrals during the month of October, we will include the Doe shampooer, cost free. For further information or to place an order, simply dial our customer service representatives at 555-555-5555, and they will be happy to assist you.
Example Letter #8
Just a note to thank you for attending Jane's kitchenware party. We hope you are enjoying your new pitcher and chip-n-dip set. With Christmas just around the corner, we are offering our preferred customers 20% off the total retail amount of their November purchases. This is just our way of saying "thank you" for your continued patronage.
Enclosed you will find a new catalog of Doe products for the home. We will be accepting orders at the reduced rate until the November 30. If you are unable to purchase your gifts in November, but would still like to give that special person a Doe gift, we must receive your order by December 10 to guarantee deliver by Christmas. Please know that we are here to help with all your holiday needs. The Doe family wishes you a wonderful holiday season.
Example Letter #9
I hope you enjoyed the Doe X26 supermixer demo. The X26 is a most versatile and sturdy mixer. Arrayed with its various attachments, the X26 can grind meat, shred carrots, knead bread dough, or mold pasta. No family should be without this time-saving, kitchen facilitator. Enclosed is an order form. Simply check the box for the supermixer and any additional attachments necessary to make your life easier. We'll ship your X26 immediately.
Example Letter #10
As always I enjoyed showing off our new line of bath and kitchen hardware. I trust the sample fixtures I installed worked flawlessly. You correctly identified the biggest selling point of this hardware. Customers in your area are demanding classically styled, real metal bath and kitchen fixtures. This new line updates the classic originals with today's technology and standardization.
Now is an excellent time to order because we are offering an introductory price break of 15% on orders over $5000, accompanied by an unprecedented national ad campaign. Just call me or your regular Doe Hardware representative and we'll answer any questions and take your order. I look forward to hearing from you.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Thank the reader for the interest he or she has shown in your product or service. If this is a follow-up to a follow-up, ask whether the reader received or enjoyed the materials you sent.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Thank you for visiting our showroom yesterday and attending the demonstration of our automatic ironing machine.
- We appreciate your coming in to see what our new Doe 5000 can do for your company.
- Thank you for visiting our booth at the Educators' Conference in Springfield last month.
- I hope you enjoyed the recent Medical Technologists' Convention as much as we did. We certainly appreciated the comments you made at our booth.
- Thank you for the interest you expressed in our new line of copy machines at our demonstration in Springfield last week.
- I am sorry I didn't get the chance to speak to you personally at our booth in Springfield earlier this month, but we hope you enjoyed our demonstration of the Doe FT100.
- I enjoyed showing you our new line of Doe Janitorial Products last week.
- By now you have probably received the samples you requested, and we trust you and some of your patients have had a chance to try out our new hypo-allergenic laundry products.
- Several weeks ago we sent you our informational packet on "The Stock Market for the Small Investor." We hope you have had a chance to look it over.
- Did the brochure we sent you on the Doe FT100 answer your questions?
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- appreciate your coming in
- appreciate the courtesy you showed
- appreciated your friendliness and interest
- best service possible
- by now you have probably received the samples
- certainly appreciated the comments you made
- did the brochure we sent you answer all your questions
- enjoyed showing you our new line
- for making me feel at home during my sales call on
- for taking the time to listen to our presentation
- for taking the time out of your busy schedule
- for the interest you expressed in our new line
- for visiting our booth
- for stopping by our booth
- for attending the demonstration
- hope you enjoyed the demonstration
- hope you enjoyed the recent convention as much as we did
- hope you have had a chance to look
- may have met at the convention last month
- send you our informational packet
- sorry I didn't get the chance to speak to you personally
- thank you in advance for taking the time to help us provide the thank you for visiting our showroom
- trust you have had a chance to try out our new product
2 Emphasize the features that most impressed the reader, or those that will best meet his or her needs.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Our customers have been impressed not only by its versatility, but also by its ruggedness. We have the longest warranty in the marketplace, and it costs us very little. This machine does not break down!
- As we discussed, the 5000 can replace up to three of the bulkier machines you are using now, saving on labor costs as well as space. I am enclosing an article from the July issue of "Machine Technology" comparing the 5000 with Doe Corporation's offer.
- We are introducing a new version of our Doe Elementary School Math Mastery software, with special emphasis on the pre-algebra that many elementary schools are starting to teach in the sixth grade.
- I realize that every company would like to claim to be the "market leader," but in our case the claim is true. I am enclosing a brochure on our line of lab equipment. Our product's quality speaks for itself, and has "spoken" to research laboratories throughout the world.
- Using the profile you filled out at our demonstration, I have prepared a proposal tailored to your company's needs, and have enclosed it with this letter. I trust it will prove useful to you in making your decision.
- Enclosed is some literature that describes the best applications for each product. On the back cover is the name and address of your local distributor.
- Investing can be fraught with anxiety. We know that our program can make it a lot easier--and safer too!
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- am enclosing this brochure on our line of
- because of its compact size
- considers your strengths as well as your limitations
- continually changing to include new features and benefits
- does not break down
- ensure a quality product at a low cost
- have supplied quality products and services to thousands of
- have prepared a proposal tailored to your company's needs
- have the longest warranty in the marketplace
- in our case this claim is true
- investing can be fraught with anxiety
- its ruggedness has impressed
- just bringing out a new version
- know that our program can make it a lot easier and safer
- literature that describes the best features of each product
- name and address of your local distributor
- our customers have been impressed not only by its versatility
- programs are scheduled to fit your time frame
- quality of our product speaks for itself
- save labor costs
- throughout the world
- trust it will prove useful to you in making your decision
- with special emphasis on
- worked with some of the top corporations in the industry
- would like to claim to be the "market leader"
3 Encourage the reader to place an order, explaining how easy it will be.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- We have been back-ordered for some time--the price of popularity--but have just received a large shipment. If you order now, we can deliver your stock before the end of the week. Just call 555-5555.
- When you are ready to order, please contact me at 555-5555 to discuss our special discount. I look forward to working with you.
- We offer a free one-day training course, which will help your teachers use the software to their students' best advantage. If you are interested in learning more, or if you are ready to order, please call 555-5555.
- If you are interested in testing any of our equipment in your laboratory, please call 555-5555. We look forward to providing you with the finest lab equipment available.
- We trust that you will feel confident in recommending this line of products to your patients.
- If you have any questions on availability, please let me know. I am enclosing an order form, along with a copy of our bulk discount schedule. We look forward to hearing from you.
- I am enclosing a voucher for 20% off your first order. We look forward to serving you.
- I will call you next week to answer any questions you may have and to take your order when you are ready.
- If you would like to know more, please call 555-5555, and one of our consultants will be happy to help you.
- If I can provide you with any additional information, please call me at 555-5555.
- This note is to let you know that there couldn't be a better time to order than right now. I am enclosing the details of our special offer, but please be aware that it expires at the end of this month.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- a copy of our bulk discount schedule
- am enclosing the details of our special offer
- am enclosing a voucher for 20% off your first order
- am enclosing an order form
- be aware that this offer expires at the end of the month
- can deliver your stock before the end of the week
- can provide you with any additional information
- contact me at 555-5555 to discuss our special discount
- discuss any questions you may have
- have just received a large shipment
- if you are ready to order, please call 555-5555
- if you are interested in learning more
- if you order now
- if you have any questions on availability
- if you are interested in testing any of our products
- if you are ready, we will gladly take your order at that time
- look forward to serving you
- look forward to working with you
- look forward to hearing from you
- offer a free one-day training course
- one of our consultants will be happy to visit with you
- please let me know
- there couldn't be a better time to order than right now
- to providing you with the finest equipment available
- when you are ready to order
- will call you next week
- will help your employees adjust