Follow Up After a Meeting to Review Decisions and Assignments • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
This letter is a reminder for those who attended the meeting, reminding them of the decisions and assignments that were made. It is an effective way to move the work along.
How to write this follow-Up letter:
- Clearly identify the meeting with a positive statement.
- Briefly review important decisions and assignments.
- Remind the recipient of deadlines and/or the date of the next meeting.
Example Letter #1
Our meeting on September 17 proved to be a very productive step toward strengthening and the University's General Education program. In addition to getting a better understanding of why the program needs strengthening, we were successful in organizing three important subcommittees to get the work going. Suzanne Johnson will head the subcommittee responsible for handling student and faculty surveys, while Jane Doe will head the subcommittee that will draft the initial proposal for the Academic Vice President's office. In addition, John Doe will head a subcommittee that will evaluate the effectiveness of alternate tracks.
We will meet again on October 18 for these committees to present their initial reports. Let me say that I sincerely appreciate the good will and willingness to serve that I sense from each of you.
Example Letter #2
At Tuesday's meeting, the planning committee discussed this year's company picnic, and decided to accept John's suggestion to hold it in the Doe Woods. I personally think it is a wonderful place, especially for families. We appreciate so many of you accepting assignments to help out. Jane will determine whether the area is available on August 21, and she will handle the publicity. Robert will organize a committee to handle our entertainment needs, with the goal of providing fun activities for all ages. Beth will look into our catering options. We will meet next Tuesday, May 17, at 10:00 a.m. in the conference room to hear your reports and make our final plans.
Example Letter #3
Home owners in the Cove met on Wednesday evening to discuss the City's proposal to reroute all traffic currently on Main Street through our residential neighborhood. As you know such a change would have a devastating effect on the tranquility that we now enjoy; it would create safety hazards for our children, and would severely impact our property values. We all agreed we must take steps to prevent this unwise proposal from being accepted.
We are grateful to John Doe who has volunteered to draft a petition to forcefully express our concerns to the City Council. We hope that each of you will add your signature to the final draft. John and Jane have agreed to present our position to the City Council at their 7:00 p.m. meeting on November 17. Please plan to attend that meeting to make your desires known. I hope we can fill the room. This may be our only chance to stop this folly before we regret it.
Example Letter #4
According to the minutes of the homeowners' meeting, the following individuals have committed to monitor the following duties for this year:
Eric -- lawn and grounds maintenance
John -- road repairs
Jane -- RV storage and parking
Ashley -- homeowners' dues and fees
Steve -- condominium exterior repairs
Each person is responsible for these duties for this year. At next year's duty assignment meeting the chores will grace yet another lucky recipient. Keep on it vigilant homeowners and thanks for your efforts!
Example Letter #5
Our production meeting on Tuesday yielded several possible solutions to our declining profits. Key was John Doe's suggestion that we infuse management with some new life in the form of a couple of new managers. Please ready the files on your three best candidates, either from your department or from your hiring pool. We will review everyone's choices at next Tuesday's meeting and begin interviews Thursday.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Clearly identify the meeting with a positive statement.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Representatives from the faculty, staff and PTA met last Wednesday, April 7 to discuss the problems we are having with after-school loitering, and to plan corrective action.
- We enjoyed a very productive meeting on August 5. I appreciated hearing the maintenance staff's point of view on the proposed renovation.
- The enclosed minutes from our October 1 board meeting are in draft form. I would appreciate your review and comments.
- In our meeting yesterday, we discussed the best timing for introducing our new line of power tools.
- At Monday's meeting we agreed that we need to coordinate our efforts very carefully if we are to meet our deadline.
- The agenda for our September 6 committee meeting is almost ready.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- agenda for the Thursday meeting is almost ready
- although we have not spoken since our meeting
- appreciated hearing the department's view
- as we agreed during the meeting on
- at the meeting we agreed that
- enjoyed a very productive meeting
- enjoyed our meeting on
- for your information only
- from what was said in the meeting this past
- in our meeting yesterday, we discussed
- met to identify specific problems
- need to coordinate our efforts carefully
- our meeting on Wednesday was enlightening and productive
- representatives from the staff met on
- to meet our project deadline
- to discuss the problems we are having with
- unanimously voted to
- was a pleasure meeting with you during my recent visit to
- discussed the pros and cons
- would appreciate your review and comments
2 Briefly review important decisions and assignments.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Mrs. Doe will speak to the school district about the erratic arrival times of the school buses and Mr. Johnson will draft a letter to be sent to the parents.
- We decided to move the date of our hardware purchase to June 30, to make sure we are in good shape to handle the Christmas rush. This will give John Doe the time he needs for staff training, which will begin immediately.
- Please note that Jane will be responsible for preparing cost projections for the next year, and Michael will prepare a draft of our new employee handbook.
- We decided that spring would be the best time to introduce these products, so we made the following assignments:
John will coordinate the advertising campaign
Jane will work on package design
I will revise the instruction manuals
- I was assigned to contact the state office and obtain a copy of the guidelines. They will send the materials to me within a week, and I will distribute these as soon as I receive them.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a representative from the department will speak to
- are going to pursue the problems we continue to encounter with
- changes in the program
- decided to move the date forward
- decided that Friday would be the best time
- have you been able to
- here are the assignments we agreed on
- made the following assignments
- please note that John will be responsible for
- preparing cost projections
- to make sure we are in good shape
- to obtain a copy of the guidelines
- was assigned to contact
- will send the materials to me by
- will distribute these as soon as they receive them
- will give John the time needed
- will confirm in writing
- will start this assignment immediately
- will prepare a draft of our new handbook
- will interview and hire new employees
- will take responsibility for
- will draft a letter to be sent to
- would appreciate it if you would send your results
3 Remind the recipient of deadlines and/or the date of the next meeting.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I would appreciate it if you would send the results to me by the 20th, so I can prepare a presentation for the board meeting on the 28th.
- Please take a few minutes to review this material so you will be prepared to make corrections at our next meeting on May 12.
- We will meet in the conference room one week from today to report on our progress.
- The committee's next meeting will be on the third Thursday of the month, April 18, at 11 a.m.
- John Doe will act as our coordinator. Please check in with him daily to send or receive messages or to make any schedule changes.
- You can expect to receive the additional materials by July 5.
- Please get back to me as soon as possible. If I get the information by Wednesday, I can put you on the agenda.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- anticipate spending some time in Springfield on
- anticipate your visit in the near future
- at our next meeting on
- call my office with your concerns
- can expect to receive the additional materials by
- can put it on the agenda
- have the information by
- look forward to seeing you
- please take a few minutes to review this material
- please check in with John daily to send or receive messages
- please let me know by
- please get back to me ASAP
- so you can be prepared to make any corrections
- so I can prepare for our next meeting on the
- the committee's next meeting will be on
- the board will meet on June 5 at the
- to report on our progress
- to make any schedule changes
- will get together to discuss this further
- will meet in the conference room
- will check with you once more before our next meeting
- will assemble the presentation before our meeting
- will act as our coordinator
- will meet monthly
- will call if there is further delay
- would appreciate it if you would send your results