Example Letter #1
Although we spoke two months ago about the possibility of working together on a fund raising effort to buy books, I recognize that school has only recently been in session. I hope we both still share the same enthusiasm for the project. I'll be very happy to assist you in any way I can to make it a success, because I know how important it is for the students to get new books.
If you still want to pursue this idea, I suggest that you encourage the student leaders to schedule the fund raiser during the month of October, since that is the best time to sell holiday items. Please give me a call at 555-5555, if you would like me to help.
Example Letter #2
I know that this is a busy time for contractors, but I have not yet received a response to my letter dated September 5, in which I documented the water damage that the faulty plumbing caused to our hardwood floor. It is a clear case of negligence on the part of one of your subcontractors, and we are eager to have it repaired. Since our home is still covered by your builder's warranty, we expect that you will absorb the cost of repairing the floor.
Although my first letter seems to have been misplaced in all of your correspondence, I trust that you will now give your immediate attention to this repair so we can get settled in the new home that we otherwise enjoy very much.
Example Letter #3
Several weeks ago I requested a brochure describing your wireless security systems, but have not received a reply. I have moved now, so perhaps you sent it to my old address. I thought it would be appropriate to inform you of my new address, and to once again request a brochure.
I have heard only positive reports about your new system, and I am eager to determine whether it would be appropriate for my needs. Perhaps after I study your brochure, we can arrange a demonstration.
Example Letter #4
Summer is an exciting and busy time of year. What with all the pool parties and barbecues, one rarely has an unengaged weekend. Imagine how much more exciting those engagements could be with the hot sounds from the '70's, '80's and '90's. With Doe Music Club, such daydreaming can be a reality. We regret you haven't snatched up the prior offers to join the Club, but we want you to have one last chance to become the life of the summer parties. Pick thirty music selections for only $1! Mark your selections on the enclosed order form. Join today!
Example Letter #5
Over a month ago I faxed you a letter of introduction and my resume in response to your online advertisement. I fear this was not transmitted properly as I have received no reply. Please find enclosed hard copies of these documents for your perusal. I would be very pleased to receive confirmation when you have read my letter. You may reach me by telephone or fax at 555-5555.
The intent of this letter is to establish or renew a relationship, so the tone must be more positive and pleasant than complaining or critical.
1 State the purpose of the letter, referring to the previous correspondence, and giving the reader an excuse for not having responded. Do not scold.
- I know you have been away on business, but I am wondering if you received my letter of January 7, asking you to send me your year-end report.
- I have not received a reply to my invitation asking you to speak to our Springfield League of Dog Lovers on May 4. Perhaps you did not receive the letter.
- In response to your employment ad of August 18, I forwarded my resume, two references and a cover letter. Since I have received no response, I am wondering if my materials failed to reach you.
- Did you perhaps misplace my earlier letter and the article I sent you about "The First Child Born in Springfield" for the Springfield Gazette?
- You may remember that some time ago we discussed your doing a documentary on Doe International's meteoric rise to prominence in microchip technology. I mailed the materials you requested three months ago, but have heard nothing since. Have they perhaps been misplaced?
- I wonder if you received my letter last month. If so, did it adequately answer your questions about our new Doe FT100?
- On April 3 I sent you a reminder that your subscription to our magazine was about to run out. We are just mailing your final issue, and I wondered if you had overlooked the urgency of the matter?
- I asked for a copy of your study results some weeks ago, but fear that my request may have been overlooked.
- I appreciate that this is a particularly busy time for your office, but I wonder whether you received the parcel I mailed on February 3.
- Have we in some way disappointed you in price or in service?
- What happened? After calling you, sending literature, and trying to address your concerns, we still have not received your order. Perhaps you have been too busy?
- We understand that we did not win the bid for your new construction project at Doe's, but hope that you can help us with some information.
- after calling you and sending information to you
- am wondering if you received my letter
- am wondering if my materials failed to reach you
- appreciate that this is a particularly busy time for
- are just mailing you your final notice
- asked for a copy of your results some time ago
- asking you to send me the report
- fear that my request must have been overlooked
- have received no response
- have not received a reply to my invitation
- have we in some way disappointed you
- have heard nothing since
- hope that you can help us with some information
- if so, did it adequately answer your questions
- in response to your ad
- mailed the materials you requested
- may remember that some time ago we discussed
- on Monday I sent you a reminder that
- perhaps you did not receive the letter
- perhaps you have just been busy
- sent you my resume, a few references, and a cover letter
- still have not received your order
- trying to address your concerns
- understand that we did not win the bid
- wonder whether you remember receiving the parcel I mailed to you wonder if you have overlooked the urgency of this matter
- would like to know if you received my letter last month
2 Emphasize the importance or urgency of the matter and/or explain why you need a response. Make it easy for the reader to respond.
- We now have all the reports except yours, and we need to process them as soon as possible. I am enclosing another copy of the form, and would appreciate your returning it by the end of the week.
- We would still love to hear about your work with dogs, particularly your refinements on training methods, and hope you will be able to make it to our meeting. I am enclosing a copy of my original letter. In view of the urgency, would you please call me at 555-5555?
- I am enclosing a stamped, self-addressed post card. Would you please let me know if you have my information, or if you are interested in receiving another copy?
- I have tried to call you, but have not been able to get in touch. Please drop me a line or call me at 555-5555 to let me know the status of the project.
- Since our last contact Doe's has made yet another technological breakthrough, resulting in a whole new generation of computer hardware. If you are still interested in the project, please write or call soon, as one of the major networks has expressed interest.
- For your convenience I have enclosed a postage-paid, pre-addressed envelope. I would appreciate your letting us know where we stand.
- I am enclosing an easy renewal form for your convenience. Just check your renewal term and mail it in the prepaid envelope. We will bill you later.
- I participated in your R&D study some months ago with the understanding that all participants would receive a copy of the results. If you have not yet completed your report, would you let me know when you expect it to be ready?
- The parcel contained a leather-bound desk reference set, and was a gift to thank Mr. Doe for all the help he gave our students last semester. Please let us know if it has not arrived so that we can ask the post office to put a tracer on it.
- You are one of our valued customers, yet your account has been inactive for some time now. If there is anything we can do to make your shopping with us easier, please let us know. A postage-paid card is enclosed for your convenience.
- In any case, if we have done something wrong, please let us know. We have enjoyed our association with you in the past, and hope to work with you again in the future.
- We are trying to improve our bidding process, and would like to know in what way our bid was unsatisfactory to you.
- am enclosing a stamped, self-addressed post card
- am enclosing a copy of the original letter
- am enclosing another copy of the form
- am enclosing an easy renewal form
- are trying to improve our process
- are one of our valued customers
- can ask the post office to put a tracer on it
- drop me a line
- for your convenience
- have enjoyed our association with you in the past
- have not been able to get in touch
- have tried to call you
- hope to work with you again in the future
- if you are interested in receiving another copy
- if you have not yet completed your report
- if we have done something wrong
- if there is anything we can do
- in view of the urgency, would you please call
- just check the renewal box
- let me know if you have the information
- let me know the status of the project
- let me know when you expect it to be ready
- mail it in the prepaid envelope
- need to process them as soon as possible
- now have all the reports but yours
- participated in your study some time ago
- particularly your refinements on
- please let us know if it has not arrived
- since our last contact
- still interested in the project
- the parcel contained a gift for
- understood that all participants would receive
- will bill you later
- would appreciate your letting us know where we stand
- would still like to hear about your work
- would appreciate your returning it by
- your account has been inactive for some time now