Example Letter #1
When have you, or someone you love, last ridden in an ambulance? Never, I hope. But if you have needed an ambulance, I'm glad it was there for you. If any of us ever need an ambulance in the future, I'm sure we would all like it to be up-to-date, with all the equipment needed to save lives and stabilize patients on their way to the Emergency Room.
I am one of Springfield city's emergency medical technicians (EMTs). We undergo ongoing training to make sure that we are able to meet the needs of the people we serve. We are all volunteers and are glad to be able to help people when they are in trouble, but we do need your help.
Currently, our city needs a new ambulance and new equipment for its two existing ambulances. Those few minutes before we reach the emergency room can make the difference between life and death, and we want to give the very best care we can. With this new equipment, we can offer world-class emergency care for our patients.
Will you help? We would appreciate your donation of $25, or whatever you feel you can afford. Most donations should be tax deductible.
Please make your check payable to the Springfield Hospital Foundation Ambulance Fund. I have enclosed an envelope for your convenience.
Example Letter #2
Please accept our warmest thanks for your past support of the Springfield choir. As you know, the choir must rely on the generosity of patrons like you to sustain its cultural programs. Once again we are turning to our supporters for donations to finance our young singers' European tour. They have worked hard to prepare several songs in French, German and Spanish, and are adding three new instrumental numbers to their repertoire.
The choir members and their parents are sponsoring their annual fund-raising barbecue on Saturday, May 3, at 6:00 p.m. in the Springfield Park. Many merchants have generously donated food supplies for the event, and others have made cash donations. We invite you and your family to join us again this year for good food and light entertainment. The suggested donation is $10 per person, but you may donate any amount you wish.
The tour benefits the young participants in many ways. They learn discipline, musical skills, and how to live in a shrinking world. After earlier choir trips some members have decided to go on to college and major in music. In short, the project benefits many. We hope to see you on Saturday. If you are unable to attend, but would still like to contribute, please use the enclosed stamped, self-addressed envelope.
Example Letter #3
Last year we over boarded 2,000 barking, mewing, and cawing guests. Maid service was exhausted. Springfield Animal Shelter has provided this humane service and has supplied affectionate companions to Springfield citizens for over twenty years. Our mayor, John Doe, adopted his jogging companion, Pepper, six years ago. Ashley Johnson adopted her tabby cat, Cleopatra, three years ago.
Unfortunately, our ability to continue to match owners with pets is limited. This year we will be able to receive only half the number of guests we did last year, unless our resources double. Your contribution of $15 or more makes you a Shelter Friend and entitles you to 50% off a pet grooming at Doe's Pets in the month of June. Simply mail your check in the self-addressed envelope and check the box indicating you would like a grooming for your pet. Please, help keep Springfield's domestic animals housed and safe.
Example Letter #4
Each day, donations from concerned people like you save acres of prime wetland habitat from destruction. We can save much more if we can meet our goal of doubling last year's donations.
We formed the Doe Wetlands Coalition in 1988 to help counter the astonishingly swift destruction of the Midwestern wetlands, which serve as home to over 300 species of birds. We specialize in identifying the threats before they lead to the destruction of habitat. Last year we identified seven industrial building proposals that would have destroyed over 2,000 acres of prime bird habitat and assisted the corporations in finding more suitable sites.
We are proud of our accomplishments. You can be proud too, knowing you are contributing to this important cause. As always, donations to the Doe Wetlands Coalition are fully tax-deductible.
We encourage you to visit our modest Visitors' Information kiosk on the Springfield Preserve. In addition to offering interpretive trail guides, this kiosk provides information about how the coalition uses donated funds. Please use the postage-paid envelope enclosed to make your donation, or use our convenient charge-by-phone system by calling 555-5555. We thank you.
Example Letter #5
Since 1976, Doe Medical Center has upheld the tradition of providing health care to children regardless of race, religion, or the family's ability to pay. All contributions to the Doe Medical center are dedicated to helping children. Furthermore, physicians at Doe Center donate their time and expertise to charity patients--a fact which makes donated dollars go even farther.
To contribute, complete the Donor Section and make the check payable to Doe Center Foundation. Then, mail the form and check to:
Doe Children's Medical Foundation
1600 Main Street
Springfield, Kansas 12345
We need your help and eagerly await your generous contribution.
Example Letter #6
Healthy families make healthy communities. With this fact in mind, the Doe Association supports agencies like The Center for Women and Children in Crisis in our community. At the Center, battered women and their children receive counseling and support to begin new lives, free from the horrors of domestic violence.
For the past six years, XYZ Corporation employees have contributed both supplies and service to help the Doe Association achieve its goals. Our support has helped network hundreds of agencies and has given more efficient help to individuals and families in our local communities. Last year alone, contributions to the Doe Association in Springfield County helped 25,000 disabled individuals lead active and fulfilling lives.
Make your pledge to better our future today by contacting John Doe in human resources. He is our company's representative for the Doe Association this year and will be happy to help you make your contribution.
Example Letter #7
These are exciting times for Doe University. As you know, the University is growing. We now have an enrollment of 7,000 students, 2,000 more than we had just three years ago. Because of the tremendous growth we are experiencing, we are actively involved in a capital campaign to raise money to provide three new buildings.
The capital campaign is off to a great start. At this point more than $75 million has been donated toward the campaign priorities. In order to achieve our goal, it is imperative that our alumni step forward with vigor. The university is counting on us to bring our goal of funding the priorities to fruition, and I am confident we will rise to the challenge.
Our goal for alumni is 100% participation. I am confident we can count on your support. Please send in your donation in the enclosed self-addressed envelope. We look forward to your participation.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Open with a statement that catches the reader's attention.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- You are among the truly loyal friends of Doe Conservatory whose generosity has meant so much to disadvantaged students.
- You are cordially invited to a gala evening of song and dance at the Prospector's Palace, Saturday evening at 7:00 p.m. This annual event is our way of raising funds for the missionaries serving in Somalia.
- I am writing on behalf of those Doe College students who may not be able to finish their schooling because of financial setbacks.
- This is an invitation to lift a disadvantaged child to the heights you and I take for granted.
- We are delighted to report that your gift last year made it possible for three little girls to attend summer camp.
- It's true! We are finally going to build a new library for our kids!
- We are excited that so many have helped us come so close to our goal of raising one million dollars.
- As an alumnus of Doe College who participated in several of our musical productions, wouldn't you gain much personal satisfaction in helping us strengthen our music program even further.
- Time is running out on our goal to buy emergency equipment at the lowest price of the decade.
- It's a shame when bright kids don't have access to good books, but together we can change that.
- It has been a sobering experience for all of us at the university to hear of the misfortune of our dear colleague John Doe.
- Winter will soon be upon us, and many of our citizens will have no place to keep warm.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a moving experience
- a sobering experience
- an unforgettable experience
- are delighted to report
- are excited that
- are finally going to
- are cordially invited to
- because of financial setbacks
- believe that you would gain
- concerned people like you
- have meant so much to
- how much we appreciate
- is our dream for
- is an invitation to
- look forward to a day when
- made it possible for
- make the difference between
- on behalf of those
- one of our loyal friends
- our way of raising funds for
- so close to our goal
- so many have helped
- time is running out
- together we can
2 If necessary, identify your organization and explain its purpose and activities.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- We are an ad hoc committee who, as students, personally benefited from contributions such as yours. We help the alumni association gather funds to help others who now follow us.
- Mission Possible is a nonprofit organization in its tenth year of providing summer occupational training for disadvantaged youths.
- We are Springfield County's emergency medical technicians and we have organized a task force to secure some much needed equipment.
- A group from the English department has organized a committee to receive funds to help defray John's skyrocketing medical expenses.
- The Doe Foundation coordinates all contributions to the University, so not every department that needs help will contact you.
- The Civic Action Committee is a group of concerned citizens who volunteer their time to help those who have become homeless.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a nonprofit organization
- an organization of volunteers
- are succeeding in making a difference
- concerned citizens like you
- donate our time to
- for the past twenty years
- for a much needed
- for the disadvantaged
- have established a foundation
- have no doubt heard of our
- have organized a committee to
- have personally benefited from
- have organized a
- hearts have been touched by
- to give something back to
- to help others
- to help defray the
- to raise funds for
- volunteer our time to
- were responsible for
3 Explain the urgent need for which contributions will be used. Be specific.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- We will use your contribution to buy new instruments for our beginning students.
- The money contributed will be used to complete and equip a medical clinic that our missionaries are building for the local population.
- The rapidly rising cost of tuition is preventing lower income students from enrolling. The money raised in this campaign will be used for tuition scholarships for qualified students with financial hardships.
- Budget cuts have left us with no money to buy current texts for our students. We will use the money you contribute to purchase such texts so our students can continue to compete in our fast-paced world.
- We will be buying two-way radios and state-of-the-art resuscitation equipment for each of the county's ambulances.
- Your contribution will help us buy 200 sleeping bags for the homeless in our community.
- Your help will allow us to complete the south wing of the library, which will house children's books and other educational resources.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- an urgent need for
- are proud to say that
- can specify where
- desperately need help
- every dollar you donate goes towards
- help people help themselves by
- make every penny count
- makes such a large difference
- receive no funding from
- the entire amount will
- where financial hardship prevents
- will allow us to
- will make all the difference for
- will not be used for
- will help us to
- will open the way for
- will change the outlook for
- will use the funds to
- will all be used for
- your contribution will
- your donation will provide
- your help will
4 Tell what your organization or efforts have already accomplished. It helps to relate personal success stories and present statistics.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- With contributions from alumni like you, we have been able to provide musical instruction for over 200 children who otherwise would have never had this exposure. Ten students who started in this program have gone on to major in music at the university.
- Emergency teams who have used this equipment have documented a 25% reduction in fatalities due to heart attack.
- You may recall the two boys who visited our congregation after receiving life-saving medical help in the clinic. Your contribution helped make that possible. We hope we can give the same gift to many others.
- The help that contributors gave last year made it possible for 25 homeless persons to receive job training. Twenty of them are now employed and are able to pay rent.
- Your contributions for textbooks last year made it possible for every math student to have a book to take home, rather than having to share it at school.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- are so grateful for
- caring people like you
- each individual that
- each small triumph
- even though there is
- extend this gift to
- has allowed us to
- have achieved so much
- have been able to
- hope we can
- how can we express
- is heartwarming to
- made it possible for
- make this possible
- may recall the
- much more to be done
- otherwise would never have
- such a huge difference to
- with the help of
- with your help
- your past contributions helped
5 Explain what benefit will come to the person who contributes: personal satisfaction, benefits to family, an invitation to an event, membership in an elite group, a tax deduction, a gift etc.
Sample Sentences for Step 5
- We know that those who contribute are rewarded with a satisfaction that money can't buy.
- Of course, we all recognize that it is really our children that will benefit from our generosity at this critical time.
- As a token of our appreciation we will send an autographed CD or a book by our resident baritone.
- Knowing that you have helped a suffering person have an abundant life is a great feeling.
- By contributing you will become a member of our Friends of Music Club, which will entitle you to have first choice seating for the 2019 concert series.
- Your contribution is, of course, tax deductible. Please keep your receipt.
- We will list all donors in our financial aids booklet, unless they ask to be excluded.
- The names of all donors will appear on a plaque at the theater entrance.
- Each donor will have his or her name engraved on a brick in the path leading to the entrance of the museum.
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- all recognize that
- consult your tax-advisor
- donation may be tax-deductible
- greatest reward will be
- have the reward of knowing
- have the satisfaction of
- is no feeling quite like
- know the joy of
- know that you will
- knowing that you have helped
- opportunity to change a life
- our true beneficiaries are all those who
- reward lies in knowing that
- that money cannot buy
- token of our appreciation for
- will benefit from our generosity
- will send you reports on
- will become a member of
- will entitle you to
- will be listed in our
6 If necessary, reassure the reader of your organization's credibility and that you will use the contributions effectively.
Sample Sentences for Step 6
- Since we are a volunteer organization, all contributions are used for the express purpose for which they have been given.
- Checking with the local authorities will confirm that 98% of the donated funds reach their intended destination. Only 2% is used to administer the program.
- Each year we publish a financial report of contributions and their uses. We will be happy to provide you with that report upon request.
- We invite you to visit our class at any time to see firsthand the benefits of your contribution.
- We will send you the names of those students who receive help from your contributions.
Sample Phrases for Step 6
- a volunteer organization
- administrative and fund-raising costs
- all contributions are
- are applied to our programs
- call for a copy of
- every penny we receive
- for a copy of our latest financial report
- for a complete breakdown of
- happy to cooperate
- invite you to
- is good to be cautious
- keep our costs down by
- need to be accountable to
- our income and expenditures
- please write to
- see for yourself
- understand the need for
- very low administrative costs
- visit our offices
- visit one of our
- will be happy to provide you with
7 Enclose a postage-paid envelope for the contributor's convenience, or explain an alternate way to make a contribution.
Sample Sentences for Step 7
- Every contribution helps! We have enclosed a stamped pledge envelope for your convenience.
- You may contribute by check or by credit card. Simply indicate your preferred choice on the pledge card and return it in the envelope provided.
- If you wish, you may call in your pledge at 555-5555.
- You may send your pledge in the enclosed envelope, or charge it for easy payment on your credit card by calling 555-5555.
- If you prefer to make your contribution through payroll deduction, call 555-5555.
- Call now and live with the satisfaction that you have lifted another's life.
Sample Phrases for Step 7
- ask your employer about
- can effectively double your
- does your employer have
- even the smallest contribution helps
- have enclosed a
- if you would prefer
- if you wish
- make your pledge by phone or mail
- matching your donation
- may contribute by
- no matter what size
- our matching funds program
- pay in installments
- please indicate your choice on
- postage paid envelope
- return your donation in the
- stamped, preaddressed envelope
- use your credit card
- your preferred choice
- your stamp adds to your donation