Example Letter #1
We are writing to express our deep gratitude for your recent financial donation to (Name of Organization). Your commitment, and the commitment of other conscientious individuals, provides tremendous moral support for our mission. Even more significantly, of course, your contribution strengthens our ability to continue and further develop the actual programs through which we manifest our convictions.
Although it is not possible for us express the degree of our appreciation, as stated in the original fundraising letter, within the next few days, we will be sending you a (Name of Product). We hope it will serve as a small sign of our admiration for your foresight and compassion. In addition, we will send you regular updates about the developments of our programs and the successes resulting from them. Your perspective and insight are highly important to us, and we would always welcome your feedback and further contributions.
Once again, thank you for your donation. Your support means so much to (Name of Organization).
Example Letter #2
Thank you for your kind gift. Your willingness to support the Wheelchairs for Africa Foundation will make a world of difference to the people we serve.
The money you sent is already being used to pay for simple, sturdy wheelchairs that will provide mobility for disabled children in Springfield, one of the poorest countries in Africa. I wish you could see their faces the first time they get to ride in their very own wheelchair, and the whole world opens up to them for the first time.
We hope you will enjoy the enclosed calendar with its photos of some of our grateful recipients. Their smiles will continue to be grateful for your generosity.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express to the donor your sincere thanks for his/her willingness to contribute to your cause.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Thank you, Mr. Doe, for your very generous gift to the Smith Foundation.
- We want to express to you our sincere thanks for your recent donation to our cause.
- Jonathan and Mary, we want to take a moment to thank you for your contribution to this important work.
- Please accept our sincere thanks for your continued support of our organization.
- We recently received your generous gift, and we want to truly thank you for your important role in this work.
- I am writing this letter to personally thank you for the donation you recently made to the United Efforts organization.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- so glad you were able
- very grateful for your donation
- a big help to our cause
- made a big difference
- allows us to continue
- want to sincerely thank
- express our sincere appreciation
- very much appreciate
- writing to say thank you
- express our thanks
2 If the person is a first-time donor, make a special point to welcome him/her.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- As a first-time donor to our organization, we truly hope you will come to understand and appreciate the important work we do.
- We want you to know that you are part of a very special group--20,000 people strong that are making an effort, just like you, to make our world a cleaner, safer place to live in.
- As the newest member of our organization, we hope you'll feel welcome and that you'll continue to see the benefits of contributing to the great work we do.
- Because we know what a valuable contributor you are to our organization, we wanted to take a moment and personally welcome you as a new donor.
- We are very glad you have decided to take an active part in fighting this problem, Jane, and we want you to know how much that means to us.
- As one of the thousands of members of a growing organization, we hope you will feel welcome.
- As we mentioned in our initial letter, by donating to this work, you are now part of an elite group of citizens in our community.
- In addition, we want to welcome you to our Givers' Club, a group made up of truly generous and service-minded people like you.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- want to welcome you
- know you'll enjoy
- many benefits of membership
- glad you decided
- one of the more than
- a select group of donors
- in our Founders' Circle
- hope you'll feel
- if you have
- part of an elite group
- looking forward to
- wanted to take this opportunity
- as one of our newest members
- as one of the thousands
- take an active part
- enjoy the benefits
3 Reiterate what the money raised will be used for/what good will come of the fundraiser.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- As we mentioned in our letter of introduction, the funds you helped us raise will be used to help purchase new medical equipment for the children's hospital downtown.
- Thanks to your help, and that of so many others like you, we will be able to build an animal shelter here in the valley.
- True to our word, we gave to the Save a Life Foundation 100% of the proceeds that you helped us raise.
- Because of your generosity, and that of 45,000 other people in this city, we will be able to begin construction on ten more modest homes for needy and deserving families in our community.
- We are grateful for your support to our team. Thank you so much for allowing five boys and girls who would not otherwise have been able to participate on our youth soccer team this summer.
- As a result of the overwhelming support we have received in our community, we will be able to send 20,000 books to children in Africa--10,000 more than we had planned!
- Next month, we will be sending five volunteers to our brothers and sisters in Eastern Europe--and it's all because of the help of people like you.
- Through the generous contributions of you and your fellow employees, we have raised $10,000, all of which will go to help the victims of the recent devastating flooding that has hit the northern part of our state.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- will allow us to
- will provide needed
- used to purchase
- buy supplies for
- desperately need
- help find a cure
- pay for staff to
- increase the number of
- proceeds will go to
- provide disadvantaged veterans
- feed children in
- help to relieve
- give aid to
4 Restate what tangible (or intangible) benefits or recognition the donor will receive for contributing.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- I want you to know that you personally played an important role in making our drive a success.
- As a new member of our Golden Donors' Club, we will send to you monthly newsletters to keep you aware of our ongoing efforts.
- The greatest benefit of all, I hope, is the feeling you get knowing that you personally helped one child to fight the debilitating disease that is afflicting him or her.
- We hope the greatest benefit to you is the simple knowledge that you made it possible for one family to make the dream of homeownership a reality.
- The greatest benefit, of course, is the joy you can have in knowing that you touched the life of someone else through your generous donation.
- Because we truly appreciate the sacrifice made to donate to our cause, we would like to make you an honorary member of our organization.
- We want to welcome you to a very special group--a group of more than one million people who have made a difference in the lives of the people in our state. As a member of our Founders' Circle, you'll receive a number of special benefits, including...
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- member of our Donor's Club
- member of the Leadership Circle
- receive our quarterly magazine
- send our monthly newsletter
- know that you helped
- feeling of being part of the solution
- played a key role
- had an important part
- makes such a difference to all of the
- many benefits of being
- touched the lives of
- honorary member of the
5 Indicate that the premium, or gift of thanks, mentioned in the original fundraising letter is enclosed or will arrive shortly (if applicable).
Sample Sentences for Step 5
- Your premium should be arriving in the next 2 to 4 weeks.
- As we mentioned in our first letter, we will send to you your free gift after we receive your first three payments.
- We have included your free bumper sticker, and we hope you will display it with pride.
- To show our appreciation for your truly generous donation, we have enclosed a gift certificate to one of our local diners. Please accept it as a token of our gratitude for your help in this important work.
- As we promised, you will soon be receiving the beautiful calendar you ordered--our free gift to you for your contribution to our work.
- We have enclosed your complimentary tickets to a performance of your choice, and we truly hope you enjoy it.
- Next week we will send to you your beautiful, personalized pen.
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- your gift should arrive by next week
- will shortly send the free gift
- your premium has been sent
- very shortly you will receive
- happy to send your free gift
- hope you enjoy your free gift, which will arrive
- have sent your complimentary
- next week we will send
- in 4-6 weeks
- enclosed is your premium
- will shortly send the free gift
- hope you enjoy your gift
- after your first three payments
- by the end of the month
- enclosed you will find your free gift
- we have included your complimentary
- please enjoy the enclosed tickets
- receive your monthly newsletter
- send your quarterly magazine
- included your free bumper sticker
- proudly wear the enclosed pin
6 Give examples of recent accomplishments of your organization that the donor can be proud of.
Sample Sentences for Step 6
- Last year, we sent nearly 10,000 tons of food to villages affected by the tsunami in the Orient.
- From the funds we received during the first part of this year, we were able to purchase necessary equipment and other supplies.
- With the contributions we have already received, we were able to build a new home for the Johnson family.
- We recently reached an important milestone for our organization--we have now sent more than one million books to schools in countries throughout the world.
- With the help of people like you, we have already been able to purchase more than $500,000 worth of much-needed medical equipment.
- Because of our generous donors, we were recently able to expand our center, allowing us to provide aid to twice as many people.
Sample Phrases for Step 6
- last year we were able to
- with your help
- from the contributions received
- raised more than
- helped to feed and clothe
- recently reached our goal of
- sent nearly 1,000
- last month, we accomplished
- over the last few months
- since July, we have been able
- in a short period of time
- more than doubled
- increased the number of
- were able to provide
- helped the Johnson family
- purchased more than
7 Close by briefly stating again your appreciation for the donation received.
Sample Sentences for Step 7
- Again, thank you so much for your donation.
- I just want to express again my appreciation for your generous contribution.
- Once again, we truly are grateful for your sacrifice in contributing to our work. I am sure you will be blessed for it.
- We are so very pleased you have decided to contribute to our work, and we hope you will feel compelled to donate again in the future.
- In closing, please accept again our heartfelt thanks.
- I hope you know how much your donation has helped us in our work. We truly appreciate it.
- As I said earlier, I am truly grateful for your donation. Your contribution will truly make a difference in a young person's life.
Sample Phrases for Step 7
- again, thank you for
- reiterate our appreciation
- once again, we appreciate
- grateful for the
- in closing, we just want to
- express our thanks
- convey to you our warmest
- express our gratitude
- tell you of our heartfelt thanks
- truly grateful for your contribution
- couldn't do our work without you
- very much appreciate your generous
- truly appreciative of
- so very pleased you have
- hope you know how much
- wish to thank you for all
- want to express our sincere thanks