Example Letter #1
Our hiring committee has reviewed your resume and would like to meet with you in person. We are particularly interested in your law enforcement experience and want to discuss how you feel it might complement our plant security.
We are scheduling interviews with applicants for Thursday, March 2, from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. If you are able to meet with us on that day, please call my secretary at 555-5555 to reserve a time. If Thursday is inconvenient, feel free to make other arrangements with her. All interviews will be held in the Doe conference room on the second floor of building A. We look forward to meeting with you.
Example Letter #2
Thank you for visiting my office last week to discuss employment possibilities. I have reviewed your resume and would like you to meet with me and the other managers for a formal interview next week.
Please call my secretary, John Doe, at 555-5555 at your earliest convenience to schedule an appointment. I will look forward to meeting you again.
Example Letter #3
As you may be aware, our marketing director recently retired, leaving an opportunity for a knowledgeable, energetic person to step into a promising position. We know of your marketing skills and invite you to submit an application for the position. If you would like further information, please call me at 555-5555. I look forward to your response.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Acknowledge previous correspondence, or inform the reader of the open position.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We have reviewed your resume and application for a position with Doe Incorporated.
- Doe Corporation is searching for a new Director of Marketing to work at our corporate headquarters.
- Thank you for your application for the position of Plant Manager.
- I enjoyed my brief meeting with you to discuss your ideas about marketing our new software.
- Thank you for taking the time to meet with me to discuss possible employment opportunities with our company.
- Thank you for considering Doe Corporation in your employment search.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- a preliminary review of possible candidates
- are searching for a new
- as we discussed
- attended your presentation on
- enjoyed your presentation at
- favorably impressed me
- for the position of
- gave your name
- have been watching your career with
- have reviewed your resume
- informed me of your interest in
- mentioned your name as a possible
- mentioned that you might be interested in
- most favorably referred
- mutual acquaintance has told me of your
- possible employment opportunity
- recently told me about your expertise in
- thank you for submitting your
- told me something of your accomplishments
- was very impressed by your
- you were recommended to us
- you have been brought to our attention as
- you have become well-known for
- your search for employment
- your extensive experience with
- your application for a position at
2 Extend the invitation to interview, indicating that the reader meets your preliminary qualifications.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Your background and training match those we look for in our employees; consequently, we are interested in speaking with you in person.
- You appear to possess both the skills and experience required to fill this position. We would appreciate your calling to arrange a time for an interview.
- We are pleased to invite you to be interviewed for the position.
- I was favorably impressed with your qualifications and would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you again.
- We are impressed with your training and work experience and would like to meet with you in an interview.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- appear to possess the skills and experience
- are very interested in your extensive experience
- are favorably impressed with
- are pleased to invite you to
- are similar to those we are looking for
- have the background we seek
- hope to move rapidly toward a new appointment
- if you would like to speak further
- if you are interested
- invite you to contact
- invite you to attend an interview
- like to discuss this in more detail
- meet with you in an interview
- need to arrange an interview
- please call to set up an appointment
- qualifications required to fill this position
- seem to match our requirements
- speaking with you in person
- to meet with you again
- would very much like to talk
- would be glad to meet with you
- would like to invite you to
- would appreciate the opportunity
- would like to discuss the position with you
- would be interested in
- your background and training
- your training and work experience
3 Arrange to schedule the interview or provide the date, time, and location already scheduled.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- If you are available for an interview, please call me at 555-5555 to arrange a time.
- If you are interested in this opportunity, I would be pleased to meet with you. You can reach me at the Doe headquarters. My telephone number is 555-5555.
- Your interview has been scheduled for Thursday, February 3, at 10:00 a.m. in Conference Room A of the Doe Plaza Building, 1600 Main Street in Springfield. Parking is available in the underground area with an entrance from Main Street.
- Should these second interviews prove productive, the next step will be to request a reference check before making an employment offer. Please call me at 555-5555 to arrange a convenient date and time for the interview.
- John Doe, director of our human resource department, would like to meet with you at 1:00 p.m. on June 6. Mr. Doe's secretary will inform you of the location.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- arrange a meeting at your convenience
- at that time, you will meet with
- at your earliest convenience
- call me to confirm date and time
- can reach me at
- for an appointment
- have tentatively scheduled your appointment for
- if you are interested in this opportunity
- if you would be available for an interview
- if that time is not convenient
- if you have any questions
- let me know if you are interested
- please call my office
- the above address and telephone number
- to set up an interview
- to arrange a convenient time
- will provide round-trip plane tickets
- will be interviewing for the position on
- would like to meet with you at
- would like to arrange the interview for next week
- your interview has been scheduled for
4 Express anticipation of a response.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- I look forward to hearing from you soon.
- I eagerly await your call.
- Please let me know if you are interested in the position we discussed. We look forward to your reply.
- Again, thank you for your interest in the position.
- We look forward to meeting with you.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- at your earliest convenience
- await your call
- if the prospect appeals to you
- if you are interested
- in our company
- in the position
- look forward to
- my e-mail address is
- please let me know
- please call or write me
- thank you for your interest
- to hearing from you soon
- to hearing from you
- to your reply
- to meeting you in person
- to meeting you again
- to confirm the arrangement
- unless we hear from you
- will wait to hear from you
- will expect to see you at that time