Respond to a Job Offer, Negotiating Conditions • Example Letters and Guides
Be sure that the conditions to be negotiated are important enough to you that you are willing to jeopardize the offer rather than accept it as it is written. Be positive and respectful, and make sure that the reader realizes that you would like to accept the offer.
How to write this job-offer letter:
- Express your pleasure at receiving the offer.
- Mention the condition(s) that you wish to modify, and how you wish to change it/them.
- If appropriate, mention other conditions or details of the offer that you are able to accept.
- Indicate how you will make your next contact.
- Reaffirm your interest in the job or company and express your confidence that you will be able to contribute to the company.
Example Letter #1
Thank you for offering me the position of Director of Engineering for Doe. I would be delighted to affiliate myself with such a dynamic and innovative company.
When we discussed the position, you mentioned the opportunities for profit-sharing and stock options. Participating in these is very important to me but I did not see any mention of them in your offer. I need to know if these are available to me as a member of your management team.
I would appreciate hearing from you regarding this, but in any case I will call you early next week. I look forward to getting this resolved and joining your team.
Example Letter #2
I was pleased to receive your offer of a position at Doe. I have wanted to work for your company for some time.
I will be able to start work on August 1, as you requested in your letter, but my daughter will be undergoing major surgery in the middle of August, and I will need to take ten days off work. I can either start work on the first of September or, if you prefer, I could take ten days leave in August. I am happy to accept all the other conditions as outlined in your letter.
I will call on Friday to discuss my starting date. I am very much looking forward to seeing you again and to meeting my co-workers.
Example Letter #3
Thank you for offering me a position with Doe. I am excited to work for such an outstanding company and look forward to making my own contribution.
When I asked about tuition benefits at the interview, you offered to find out if I would be eligible to receive them. Since I am already two semesters into my degree, I am anxious to know whether I qualify. I am confident that my completing my MBA will be of real benefit to the company. Please let me know about this as soon as possible. I will try to call you on Friday, June 3.
Example Letter #4
I want to thank you for offering me the position of computer specialist with your company. I am eager to get started and learn the responsibilities of the work projects. With the qualifications I have to offer, I am confident I will be able to make a meaningful contribution.
Overall, I am pleased with the conditions we have already discussed. However, I feel that further negotiations are needed regarding certain conditions of my employment. If we come to the negotiating table prepared to listen to each other's recommendations with open minds, I am confident that we can reach a mutual agreement in a short amount of time.
Once again, I want to thank you for offering me this position. I know that this will be a great career move for me, and I just want to make sure that I clearly understand the details of my responsibilities and duties before my employment begins. I believe that negotiating the conditions of my employment now will make my transition smoother into your company. I look forward to meeting with you in person soon, so that we may initiate this process without delay.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express your pleasure at receiving the offer.
Sentences for Step 1
- I was delighted to receive your letter offering me the position of Head of Design at Doe Corporation.
- Thank you for offering me the opportunity to join your firm.
- Thank you for inviting me to join your team at Doe Electrical.
- I was very pleased to receive your offer of a position at Doe.
- Thank you for the job offer. I am eager to become part of such a dynamic team.
- I am excited for the opportunity to work in your sales department.
- Thank you for the job offer. I look forward to joining your department.
Phrases for Step 1
- great opportunity for
- inviting me to join your
- join your team
- join the staff of
- look forward to
- offering me a position
- such a dynamic
- the opportunity to work with
- to be a part of
- very inviting opportunity
- was so pleased to receive
- was happy to receive
- was delighted to receive
- your offer of employment
- your invitation to
2 Mention the condition(s) that you wish to modify, and how you wish to change it/them.
Sentences for Step 2
- You indicated in your letter that you would like me to start on February 1. Unfortunately, I am not available until February 15. I agreed with my current employer that I would complete the project I am presently working on, which will be complete by February 14.
- It will be necessary for me to move my family to Springfield. Your offer did not indicate whether relocation assistance is available.
- I will be able to start work on April 1 as you requested but will need to take 3 days leave at the end of April to assist my family in relocating to Springfield. I am aware that leave is not normally granted within one month of employment, and would like to know whether this will be possible.
- Your offer stated that employees are required to join the company medical insurance plan. I already have full medical coverage through my husband's employer, and request that I be exempted from this requirement. I will be happy to provide details of my existing coverage.
- In our interview, you mentioned the opportunity to purchase stock in the company. I wish to participate in such a program, but saw no information about this in your letter.
- The information brochure you sent me on the company indicated that child care is available for the children of some employees. As a single parent, I would like to use the child care facility, even if I do not qualify for the subsidy.
- I will not be able to arrive in Springfield until after June 5, but will be happy to telecommute before that time, if this would be acceptable to you.
Phrases for Step 2
- have to fulfill a commitment to
- is very important to me
- just one item that
- may not have considered
- may not be aware that
- mentioned previously that
- need to be aware of
- need to know whether
- request exemption from
- situation requires that
- special circumstances that require
- was not stated in the offer
- will not be able to
- will be unable to
- will take into consideration
- with the understanding that
- would it be possible
- would like to take advantage of
- would like to clarify
3 If appropriate, mention other conditions or details of the offer that you are able to accept.
Sentences for Step 3
- All the other conditions outlined in your offer are completely acceptable.
- Apart from this one difficulty, I am happy to accept the offer.
- Your benefits package is very generous, and I will be delighted to accept it as outlined in your offer.
- I am particularly pleased about the flexible hours you offer.
- I will be able to start the first week in September, as you requested.
Phrases for Step 3
- am happy to accept
- are most satisfactory
- are most acceptable
- as you requested
- as stipulated in the
- as outlined in your
- in every other respect
- other conditions are
- terms and conditions are
- understand and accept the other
- was pleased to see that
- will be able to
- will be pleased to
- will be delighted to
- will be most happy to
4 Indicate how you will make your next contact.
Sentences for Step 4
- I will call you on Tuesday to discuss this further.
- I would like to meet with you to discuss whether you can accommodate me in this, and will call to arrange an appointment.
- I will be in Springfield next Wednesday. Could we discuss our options over lunch?
- I would like to accept the offer, but need to discuss these details with you. I will call you on Friday.
- Would you be available to meet with me sometime this week so we can discuss this? I will call your secretary to set up a time.
Phrases for Step 4
- a mutually agreeable arrangement
- arrange a meeting
- can come to an agreement
- discuss our options
- discuss the details
- if this would be possible
- need to discuss this
- sometime during the next
- to set up a time to
- whether this would be feasible
- whether you can accommodate me
- will call you
- will call your secretary
- would like to meet with
- would you be available to
5 Reaffirm your interest in the job or company and express your confidence that you will be able to contribute to the company.
Sentences for Step 5
- I look forward to working with you.
- I am delighted by the prospect of working for Doe, and am confident that we will work together well.
- The job sounds exciting and challenging, and I look forward to starting work.
- I look forward to contributing to Doe's future success.
- I look forward to meeting my co-workers.
- I am eager to start work on the new project as soon as possible.
Phrases for Step 5
- am looking forward to
- am eager to
- am confident that
- as soon as possible
- confidence is not misplaced
- excited about the prospect of
- feel sure that I can
- getting to work on
- look forward to
- the confidence you have shown
- this exciting opportunity
- to join your team
- to start work on
- to work with you
- will be happy to serve