Example Letter #1
Today we shipped your order for six dozen pink vases, so you should receive them within ten days. Our Springfield warehouse will ship your order for red vases within two weeks. Enclosed is the invoice for today's shipment, which is payable upon receipt. If you have questions, please call me at 555-5555. We appreciate doing business with you.
Example Letter #2
Thank you for your patronage. This letter is to confirm that your order from Doe Books has been filled and should arrive within 15 days. Shipping books at the book rate generally slows delivery.
As you know, payment in full ($20.75) is due by the end of the month. Thank you for doing business with Doe. We look forward to serving you again.
Example Letter #3
I have completed your order for two Doe's Wunderhiker custom backpacks and they will be shipped out today via third-class mail, per your request. The package should arrive within five business days. Thank you for choosing Doe's for your outdoor needs.
Example Letter #4
Enclosed please find your order of 40 pounds of Doe's Premium BBQ Brisket. All our meat is packed fresh and shipped by refrigerated airfreight to ensure the best possible final product. Your invoice includes the cost of shipping. We stake our reputation on premium meats, shipped fresh, so if there is any problem with your order, please let us know about it. We will refund your money or credit you on your next order. As always, it is a pleasure serving you.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express appreciation for the customer's order and explain whether you are shipping the order with this letter or separately.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Thank you for your recent order from Doe's Department Store. The package was shipped today by air mail and should arrive at about the same time as this letter.
- We have received your order dated August 23, 2018 and we are shipping it to you today. Thanks for using our catalog service.
- Enclosed in this package is the merchandise you ordered. Thank you for thinking of us.
- We shipped your order, dated July 7, 2018, today by Overnight Express. We trust that it will be up and running tomorrow. Thank you!
- We have shipped the sewage pumps you ordered through contract #12345 by Freight Express. They should arrive at the Springfield site on Wednesday or Thursday of next week, July 23 or 24.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- by the time you receive this
- enclosed in this package
- for thinking of us
- have received your order
- have shipped
- partial shipment of
- please note that
- should arrive within
- should arrive by
- should have received it by now
- thank you for
- the merchandise you ordered
- shipped it today by
- was shipped this morning by
- appreciate your using
- will send them to you by
- will ship the balance on
- will ship it to you on
- your recent order of
- your use of our service
2 Explain any omissions in your shipment of the order.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Demand for model 221 has been very heavy, and it is currently on back order. We anticipate a shipment by the end of this month, and we will send your order as soon as it arrives.
- Per your instructions, we have substituted blue, your second color choice, for your original selection of red.
- Your order is complete except for the Doe Fan Motor, Stock #3K663, which that company no longer manufactures. We were informed of the change after our catalog went to press, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We list several other compatible motors in the catalog if you would like to reorder.
- We were unable to fill your order for a "Doe Wind gauge" because we do not list such an item in our catalog. Please double-check the description and stock number on it. If we have it, we will gladly send it.
- We do not keep the model 34 crane in stock, but rather order it directly from the manufacturing company.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- anticipate receiving a shipment
- apologize for the inconvenience
- apologize for the delay
- as per your instructions
- as a possible alternative choice
- as soon as it arrives
- at the same price
- can offer you the option of
- demand has been very heavy
- discontinued that model
- due to overwhelming demand
- have arranged to order it from
- if you would prefer to cancel
- if you would like to
- is complete except for
- is currently on back order
- is back ordered
- just call us at
- may be an acceptable substitute
- model has been discontinued
- shipped directly from the manufacturer
- sorry for the delay
- two separate lots
- were unable to
- were shipped separately
- will send the rest of your order
- will express it to you
- your second choice
3 Discuss payment arrangements, if you have not made arrangements before.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- At your request, we have charged your account $456.70, following our standard terms of net 30 days from date of shipment. All payments must be in U.S. dollars.
- We have sent the order COD at your request.
- We have received payment in full with your check #334.
- As I told you on the phone yesterday, the manufacturer has recently raised the wholesale price on model #23 agricultural pump to $2,235.00. We have charged your account the difference of $145.00.
- Freight for this delivery was $3500. We will add this amount to your invoice.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- able to give you the benefit of
- according to our standard terms
- all payments must be in
- are happy to inform you
- as you requested
- as we discussed
- as previously arranged
- charged it to your account
- has been charged to your
- have received payment in full
- have charged the amount to
- have credited your account with
- have sent the order COD.
- included the shipping charge
- qualified for a volume discount on
- received your check for
- shipping for this delivery was
- thank you for your advance payment
- the difference is
- the recent price increase
- the freight charges amounted to
- will be no extra charge for
4 Express your appreciation and a desire for future business. You may offer to correct any errors or inadvertent omissions in the order.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- We packed your order with care and attention to detail, but sometimes errors and omissions occur. Please check your order when it arrives and let us know if it is complete. We are happy to make exchanges on unused or defective equipment.
- Thanks again for your order. We hope you will think of us again when you need precision equipment.
- We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again in the near future.
- Remember, for top quality products and service, the name to trust is Doe Corporation.
- In addition to the sewage pumps you ordered, we also carry a full line of water treatment equipment and products. I have enclosed a copy of our most recent catalog, and we have added your name to our mailing list.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- also carry a full line
- appreciate your business
- are confident that you will
- as soon as possible after
- attention to detail
- enjoy many years of
- errors and omissions do occur
- filling your next order
- have used every care
- have expanded our line to include
- hearing from you again
- hope you will think of us again
- if there are any problems with
- let us know if
- look forward to
- next time you need
- please check your order
- please feel free to
- serving you again
- thank you for your order
- trouble-free service from
- want you to be satisfied
- was filled with care