Recommend a Service or Product • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
This letter is a positive statement of your best judgment. Your opinion may have a far-reaching effect, so make it defensible.
How to write this recommendation letter:
- State your recommendation in the subject line or first sentence.
- State the resulting benefits as succinctly as possible. The use of "bullets" to mark a list of benefits may be helpful.
- Close by restating the recommendation and suggesting action to follow. Provide a simple way for your reader to notify you of the decision.
Example Letter #1
My experience with several brands of space heaters in my own garage has led me to recommend the Doe unit. This heater comes in several output levels and seems to produce the most heat for the least electricity. I have used one for over 10 years with no maintenance problems, so I can recommend it very highly. Please let me know if you want me to go ahead and order the five units we would need for your warehouse.
Example Letter #2
Subject: Recommendation to Purchase a Doe 4000 Computer System
At your request, I evaluated several computer systems to determine which one we should purchase for the office. I believe that the Doe 4000 system, when configured for office use, will best serve our needs at the price we budgeted.
The next closest system, the Doe 5000, offers many extra features, but we would have little use for them, and the system is more expensive. I have attached a detailed comparison of these systems, as well as a list of criteria I used to arrive at my recommendation. I believe the Doe 4000 is right for us at this time and will make arrangements to purchase it with your approval.
Example Letter #3
RE: Purchase of color copy machines
You asked for my opinion on the best color copy machines for us to purchase. In my previous job I worked extensively with the Doe line of photocopy machines, and had nothing but good experiences. The machines are top quality and Doe's service contract covers even trivial problems. I have no connection to Doe, and recommend their product solely on its merit. I heartily recommend the Doe color copiers for our office copier purchase. They are a sound investment. Please let me know what you decide on this matter.
Example Letter #4
Since being assigned the task of researching and comparing the range of products that could best fulfill our current and future needs, I have determined that the (Name of Product) significantly outshines the others in terms of reputation, affordability, and support. The numerous glowing testimonies by companies currently benefiting from the product, and the abundance of positive references and reviews in the magazines of our trade, lead me to view the product as well-tested, legitimate, and of high quality.
In fact, in addition to fulfilling the requirements of our current situation, the product offers a number of supplementary capabilities that could prove useful down the road. Therefore, considering the information and insight that I have gathered, I highly recommend that we acquire the (Name of Product). Please let me know if you would like to review any of the supporting documents I have assembled through the process of my research.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 State your recommendation in the subject line or first sentence.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- After studying several competing models, I am pleased to recommend the purchase of the Q500 compressor.
- Our committee has voted unanimously to recommend that we use Doe's Lawn Care Service.
- After subjecting it to several laboratory tests, we find the Doe stainless steel hinge to be clearly superior to the one we are using. We therefore recommend that we use it in all our laboratory equipment.
- I recommend that we accept John Doe's suggestion.
- I recommend that we approve this purchase so our delivery personnel will have safer vehicles.
- Considering the time we spend repairing our equipment, I believe we would be farther ahead if we were to lease it. I recommend we look into that possibility.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- after careful study
- after studying several competing models
- after subjecting it to stringent testing
- after investigating several approaches
- after a thorough review of
- believe that it will be the best
- can best approach the problem by
- conduct a feasibility study
- enthusiastically recommend that we
- have seen impressive results
- have no hesitation in recommending
- is clearly superior to
- look into the possibility of
- recommend the introduction of
- recommend that we accept
- recommend that we change to
- suggest that we approve the
- take action immediately to
- the best way to curb the problem is
- will be in our best interests to
2 State the resulting benefits as succinctly as possible. The use of "bullets" to mark a list of benefits may be helpful.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- If we do this, the following benefits can be realized:
- production time will decrease by 10%
- morale will improve
- employees' writing skills will improve
- our product will have longer shelf-life
- insurance costs will stabilize
- we will be less vulnerable to litigation
- Our lawns would look more presentable, and our staff could spend more time doing their primary jobs.
- We could minimize the time lost on making repairs. In the end, we would probably save money because, although the machinery would be more expensive, our productivity would be greater. I also think it would give a big boost to employee morale.
- Everyone would be pleased to get another day off to prepare for the holidays, and business would not suffer.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- anticipate savings of
- be less vulnerable to
- benefits that can be realized
- benefits would offset costs
- can expect the following
- can achieve the following
- could spend more time on
- cut down on waste
- if we implement these
- improved morale throughout
- increased competitiveness
- increased long-term profitability
- keep on the cutting edge of
- maintain our reputation for
- minimize time lost on
- outweigh any objections
- place a greater emphasis on
- positive effects on
- provide incentives for
- see an improvement in
- significant benefits to
- the proposed restructuring
- will stabilize
- will be able to complete
- would see increased productivity
3 Close by restating the recommendation and suggesting action to follow. Provide a simple way for your reader to notify you of the decision.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- In short, buying the Q500 compressor makes good business sense. I will call tomorrow to see whether we should proceed.
- I am sold on the Q500 compressor. I hope its purchase will be approved.
- If the directors approve this recommendation, please call me to let me know.
- Since this new opportunity gives so many benefits to the company, I hope it will be approved.
- For these reasons, I recommend that we incorporate the committee's suggestion.
- I recommend that we wait until we get next month's figures before we announce a decision. In the meantime, we should notify the suppliers.
- If this recommendation meets with your approval, please initial the memo at the bottom and return it to me.
- I will call on Tuesday to see whether this recommendation has been accepted.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- I am pleased to recommend
- feel satisfied that
- for these reasons
- happy to answer your questions
- if this meets with your approval
- implement at least a pilot program
- implementation as soon as possible
- in making your decision
- in the meantime we should
- incorporate this recommendation
- is an excellent opportunity
- makes good business sense
- makes sense to act immediately
- recommend that we proceed
- recommend that we approve
- should act as soon as possible
- so beneficial to the
- was an easy decision
- will present this to the board
- will gain final approval