Example Letter #1
Knowing of your search for a service to fulfill your current needs, a colleague of yours and one of our most valued customers, (Name of Customer), suggested that we contact you and provide a description of our offerings.
Given the information communicated to us by your colleague, we are highly confident that our state-of-the-art (Type of Service) services, our insightful and accessible customer support, and our affordable rates would provide the perfect solution to your current situation. A simple glance at the impressive range of our previous and current customers will communicate the reputation and high caliber of our operation. However, we do not expect you to rely solely on the testimonies of others. Rather, we have enclosed a brochure detailing our company and the comprehensive range of our services, and we hope you will discover for yourself the match between our offerings and your needs.
If you have any questions about our services or how they could best meet your demands, I welcome the opportunity to discuss the matter with you personally; please don't hesitate to call me at any time.
Example Letter #2
Congratulations on the purchase of your new home. Last month I had the opportunity to sell a vacuum to your friend Jane. Because your new house has beautiful, new carpet throughout, she mentioned that you might also consider a new vacuum. We all know the best way to keep carpets looking new is frequent vacuuming with a quality machine.
Our vacuum is used in the finest hotels and has more suction power than any competitor's. It comes with a five-year replacement part guarantee and includes carefully designed tools to help you clean those most difficult places. But, you can't buy our vacuum in a store. Won't you call today at 555-5555 to schedule an appointment for me to show you our latest model?
Jane not only loves her new vacuum, she also appreciates our easy finance plan. She says her carpets have never looked better!
Example Letter #3
A few days ago Jane Doe mentioned that you might want advice on your corporate taxes. I have been a tax attorney in the Springfield area for over ten years and have helped many local corporations, including Doe, with tax matters and other financial planning. For your convenience I have enclosed a brochure outlining my services. I have specialized in helping corporations achieve substantial savings for their shareholders through wise tax planning. I would welcome an opportunity to discuss how your corporation could benefit from this information.
Example Letter #4
Jane Doe, your neighbor, suggested that I contact you about our new family video system. She told me that you, too, have difficulty in finding quality videos that reflect your family values. The trouble is, those videos that do reflect high values are not always of high quality in other ways, and who wants to buy a video sight unseen?
Well Doe Video Value has found a way to overcome these problems. For a nominal sum, we send you our annual catalog, with monthly updates and reviews. Every Video you choose comes on approval; if you don't choose to buy it, you return it, paying only shipping and handling and a "rental" fee. Mrs. Doe has been using our service for several months now and is very pleased with it.
If you would like to take advantage of this great new way to build up a worthwhile video collection, please return the enclosed postage-paid card. We look forward to hearing from you.
Example Letter #5
Congratulations on your sparkling new swimming pool! Are you aware that several of your neighbors, including John and Jane Doe, use our pool and spa cleaning service to keep their pools and spas as clean and clear as the day they first used them?
When you consider the costs of chemicals, as well as the labor involved in testing and vacuuming, our service is an unbeatable bargain. In fact, John says that our complete professional service costs him about the same as he used to pay neighborhood kids just to vacuum his pool.
I will be servicing pools in your area next week and will drop in to sign you up, if you like, or to answer any questions you may have.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Mention the name of the individual who referred you to the reader and state the purpose of the letter.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Our mutual acquaintance, John Doe, said that he thought you might be interested in discussing my theories of early childhood education in the home.
- I met with John Doe a few days ago to discuss some of his future marketing plans, and he mentioned that you are also searching for a non-staff marketing team.
- John Doe recently informed me that you are currently shopping for a new home. Some beautiful homes have just been offered for sale, and I can certainly help you get what you want.
- John Doe, our mutual friend, indicated that you plan to hold a leadership seminar for your management staff next November. I believe I can assist you.
- As John told you, I am concerned about the success of your small business and would like to offer my financial counsel. I'm sure that with the right financial advice, your business can grow and become more prosperous year after year.
- Have you ever wanted to give your home an extra touch of beauty and sophistication, but thought that it would be too expensive to do so? Your friend Jane Doe used to think so too, but not any more! I have just finished some work for her, and she suggested that I call you.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- am glad I had the opportunity to get to know you better
- believe I can greatly assist you
- business can grow and become more prosperous year after year
- can certainly help you get what you want
- indicated that you were looking for someone to
- indicated that you plan to hold a
- indicated you have had your share of battles with
- mentioned that you are also searching for
- met with John Doe a few days ago
- our mutual acquaintance
- recently informed me that you are shopping for
- said that he thought you might be interested in
- said you would enjoy hearing how
- since you have been unavailable
- so pleased with the savings I was able to offer
- suggested that we had something in common
- suggested that I call you
- thanks for making the time available
- will make some assumptions
- would like to offer my financial counsel
- would like to offer our line of
2 Give a sales pitch. If you wish to discuss your product or service in more detail in the future, include only enough information to interest your reader. Otherwise, include as much information as possible.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- The Doe Corporation wants your home educational experience to succeed. We have a complete line of texts created especially for home education. Unlike traditional texts, our books are not limited to a certain grade level, but are designed to adapt to any child's learning pace.
- You can focus your attention on producing your product by allowing us to develop and direct your marketing plans. Just tell us what you want, and we will make it happen.
- I can not only help you find that special house you will call home, but I can help you research a loan option that suits your financial situation.
- Why should you have to worry about arranging all of the details of your upcoming conference when my staff and I could pull together the entire event?
- I have written a proposal that outlines how my services can help your business grow financially in a short period of time.
- We at Doe Design can help you make your home even more lovely and livable for an affordable price.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- allowing us to develop and direct your
- are seeking an organization to
- brought me in to speak to
- can evaluate your present arrangements
- can focus your attention on producing your product
- can help you research a loan option
- company has been successfully handling the
- company has been responsible for
- could save thousands of dollars annually on
- emphasis on products that
- have written a proposal that outlines how
- have a complete line of texts created especially for
- if you are aware of the success of
- just tell us what you want
- may know that it broke every sales record
- negotiated an agreement that reduced
- or you pay nothing for my services
- promise to reduce your costs
- set up new systems to improve your
- tie in perfectly with
- will fit nicely with the current enthusiasm for
- with the assistance of our
3 Tell the reader what the person who referred you liked about your product or service.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- John Doe and his wife have enjoyed tremendous success using our nontraditional texts.
- The Doe Corporation commented on our prompt service and courteous consultants. They couldn't believe how easy it was to contact our marketing staff.
- I know you have seen John and Jane's new home. Did you know that Doe Realty helped them realize their goal of building that home in only six months?
- John pulled me aside after we wrapped up his last conference and told me that he would like us to handle all future conferences, because we had attended to every detail.
- John was impressed with the financial strategies we showed him and was surprised to see the ways that we could help him stretch every dollar.
- Even though we only redesigned Jane's living room and dining area, she told us that she loves to come home to her improved house and that her home looks and feels completely different.
- John was pleased with the responsible way we handled his money.
- Your friend John appreciated our prompt and friendly service.
- Call your associate John Doe and ask him about his success with our services.
- We helped John Doe and feel confident that we can help you too!
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- appreciated the professional manner in which we handled
- appreciated our prompt and friendly service
- ask him about his success with our services
- because we had attended to every detail
- commented on our courteous consultants and prompt service
- could not believe how easy it was to contact our
- feel confident that we can help you, too
- have enjoyed tremendous success using our
- helped them realize their goal of
- hope that I will have an opportunity to
- it can work for you too
- it worked for John Doe
- pleased with the way that we handled his
- pulled me aside after we wrapped up
- saved thousands of dollars annually on his
- surprised to see the ways we could stretch every dollar
- told us that she loves to come home to
- told me that he would like us to handle all
- was impressed with the financial strategies we showed him
4 Make arrangements for future contact.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- We offer a no-risk free initial consultation. Why not give us a call at 555-5555?
- I will call you in a few days to discuss your options.
- I will drop by your office next week to answer any questions, and to show you our full line of copy machines.
- I want to discuss this matter with you further. How does lunch next Tuesday sound? I'll contact you later to confirm that date.
- I will call you in the near future to set up a time for your free estimate.
- I look forward to meeting with you. My secretary will call to set up an appointment.
- I will phone you by next Wednesday to discuss your order.
- I am confident that we can serve all of your custodial needs. Enclosed is my business card with our phone and fax numbers. If you don't have time to call me before the end of next week, I will call you.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- am going to work on some preliminary
- ask him about the reunion we staged for him last month
- assume that I will hear from you this week
- check with John Doe in
- confident that we can serve all of your needs
- enclosed is my business card with our phone and fax numbers
- if you are interested in talking with someone who
- if I can first have a moment of your time
- look forward to meeting with you
- offer a no-risk free initial consultation
- please review the enclosed literature on my company
- set up a time for your free estimate
- suggested that the three of us get together
- think you will find what I have to offer is of great value
- want to discuss this matter with you further
- why not give us a call at
- will be in touch within two weeks
- will call you next week to set up an appointment to discuss
- will call you in a few days to discuss your options
- will drop by your office next week to answer any questions
- will make your reunion an unforgettable event
- will call you soon
- would enjoy continuing the discussion over lunch
- would be delighted to present a full proposal
- would be delighted to meet with you