Respond to a Sales Rejection • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
This letter requires confident and persuasive language, without being overbearing. Your intent is to help the reader understand that he or she has overlooked or doesn't fully understand the value of what you offer. If the rejection stems from hurt feelings, be understanding and show good faith.
How to write this sales letter:
- Show understanding and present evidence to encourage your reader to rethink his or her position.
- Assure the reader that you are anxious to begin a business relationship by inviting him or her to reconsider your offer. If you are not sure why the reader refused your sales attempt, ask why.
- Encourage a response.
Example Letter #1
Your hesitance to sign up for a spa membership is understandable in light of the reasons you gave me yesterday. Like you, many people fear they will use their membership for a few weeks and then let it gather dust while they continue to pay monthly fees.
Our beginner's contract solves that problem. You sign up on a month to month basis, but you lock in the price of the first month's fee. You can cancel anytime with no further obligation. That's how we give you a great membership with all the amenities at low cost. Call today at 555-5555 and let us help you get started on the path to physical fitness.
Example Letter #2
Thank you for the interest you have shown in our new line of commercial washers and dryers. I understand that you have chosen not to invest in these at this time. Please be aware that the quality of our products, combined with our easy financing and excellent after-sales service, make for an unbeatable opportunity. Whether you buy from us this time or wait for a while, we look forward to helping you in the future.
Example Letter #3
The normal time limit for acceptance of our insurance quotation is now past, and we have not heard from you. The premiums may seem a little high on initial examination, but I would like to emphasize that these are for a full year's coverage, not just the six months that most companies offer. I am sure that if you examine them more closely, you will realize how competitive our rates are. If you would like to take advantage of our offer, please call us at 555-5555 within the next ten days.
Example Letter #4
Thank you for your courtesy in letting us know that you have decided purchase a cheaper product. We certainly understand how tempting it is to try to save money on every purchase these days, but at the same time, we suggest that you examine the maintenance and repair costs, at well as initial price. The extra time and effort we put into design and testing have saved our customers thousands of dollars down the road, making our product by far the least expensive in the end. We urge you to reconsider, and would be delighted to assist in any way we can.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Show understanding and present evidence to encourage your reader to rethink his or her position.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I understand your reluctance to do business with us because of the rude comments a former employee made to you some time ago, but let me assure you that we have released that employee. We value your patronage and hope to continue to serve you.
- It appears that our former policies did not consider some individual needs, so I am happy to inform you of our new, more flexible credit account terms.
- Although you already carry some dairy products in your store, I am sure you would benefit from adding Doe products. We can give you a wider variety of cheeses and yogurts at competitive prices.
- We realize that our package prices are a little higher than our competition's, but our packages contain more servings. If you review the enclosed materials, you will see that our package will actually save you money.
- I was sorry to hear you turned down our introductory offer because you feared that low price meant low quality. Let me assure you that this is not the case. We are offering heaters at this price because we were able to buy large quantities. Each heater carries a full five-year warranty, the best available.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- am sure you would benefit from
- applaud your caution
- carry a full warranty
- concerns about quality
- happy to inform you of
- have reservations about
- have taken steps to
- hope to serve you well
- let me assure you
- offer a wide variety of
- our new policy on
- prices are a little higher
- save in the end
- save in the long run
- the concerns you expressed
- understand your reluctance
- value your patronage
- was sorry to hear
- were disappointed in the past
- will actually save you money
- your very valid concerns
2 Assure the reader that you are anxious to begin a business relationship by inviting him or her to reconsider your offer. If you are not sure why the reader refused your sales attempt, ask why.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Please give us an opportunity to give you the best service possible.
- We care about small businesses like yours. Please allow us to help you succeed.
- I will call you next week to discuss the new policies that could mean more efficient business for you.
- We hope you will come for lunch and meet our new management staff next Thursday at 1:00 p.m. at the Doe Inn.
- I invite you to make this cost comparison to see how we can save you money on your next order.
- I am eager to learn why you declined our services so quickly. Please help me understand if there was a specific problem so we can correct it and serve you and all our customers better.
- After our meeting last Friday, I understood that you were pleased with our presentation and interested in making an investment. What happened between Friday evening and Monday morning to change your mind? I will appreciate your candid comments so we can improve our service.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- allow us to help you
- am eager to learn
- appreciate your candid comments
- can save you money
- give us the opportunity to
- help us to serve all our customers better
- hope that you will
- invite you to
- is there a specific problem
- know you will enjoy our
- make a cost comparison
- on your next order
- please help me to understand
- take pride in our
- the best service possible
- why you declined our
- without sacrificing quality
- would appreciate having the opportunity
- would like to know
- would be grateful if
3 Encourage a response.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- Whether you decide to purchase from us or not, I would appreciate your valuable feedback.
- We hope that with clarifying information you will reconsider your decision.
- We value your business and hope to resume our pleasant relationship soon. Please fill out the enclosed order form and return it for a 15% discount on your next order.
- Please send us your response in the envelope provided.
- I will welcome your reply.
- I will be happy to explain the new policies in detail. I will call your secretary for an appointment.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- appreciate your feedback
- discount on your next
- discuss the situation
- enclosed questionnaire
- explain the new policy
- hope to resume our
- hope you will reconsider
- hope to discuss with you
- in the envelope provide
- jot down your comments
- our pleasant business relationship
- remarks would be very valuable
- schedule an appointment
- to arrange to meet with
- valued your business
- welcome your reply
- whether or not you choose to
- will appreciate your
- will call you next
- will be happy to
- would like to