Thank Someone For a Reply or Response • Example Letters and Guides
This thank you note is a courtesy that builds good will. Make it brief, to the point, and sincere.
How to write this thank-you letter:
- Express thanks for the reply or response.
- Explain the benefit that has come or that you anticipate will come from this action.
- End with a positive statement.
Example Letter #1
After receiving your questions about my proposal, I have prepared the enclosed response. Please review it and feel free to contact me with any questions.
I want to thank you for the opportunity to earn your business, and I look forward to working with you. I'll be in touch next week to schedule a time for our next meeting.
Example Letter #2
Your response to my suggestion was encouraging. Thank you for taking the time to point out both the positive and negative sides. I am glad to have a manager who can respond with such insight. You are correct in pointing out that being first to the market is our primary objective. I am confident that our combined efforts will give us a technical edge over our competitors.
Example Letter #3
Thank you for your prompt response to the questions raised at the Doe family reunion. We are especially grateful to receive the information about the nineteenth century relationships that helped solved problems on the Doe pedigree chart. It was also good to receive a copy of great-great grandfather's Civil War history. I think everyone who attended the reunion will be happy to get this interesting information.
At the next reunion we will give you time to describe your research. Several of our family members are anxious to help. We are fortunate to have such a dedicated researcher with us.
Example Letter #4
I appreciate your prompt response to our request for extra security during the governor's visit. We will all rest easier during the ceremony, knowing that we have adequate security for the governor and his staff. I know I speak for all the faculty and students when I thank you for your quick action. We look forward to your joining us for the big event.
Example Letter #5
Thank you so much for your prompt response to the resume I sent you last week. Job hunting can get very discouraging; it's good to know that someone out there is actually reading my letters. Although you don't have any openings for someone with my skills right now, I hope you will keep my resume in case of future openings. Thanks so much for your time and attention. I hope we may have a chance soon to meet personally and discuss my qualifications and experience.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express thanks for the reply or response.
Sentences for Step 1
- I want to thank you for your timely response to our request to have the front door lock repaired.
- Thank you for your prompt reply to my inquiry about scheduling a tour through Kansas next summer.
- Thank you for sending me replacements for the roses damaged in shipment.
- Thanks for responding to our questions on such short notice.
- I appreciate your taking the time to send me a list of our classmates.
- Thank you for returning the questionnaire in such a timely manner.
Phrases for Step 1
- am glad we were able to
- am grateful for
- appreciate the time you took to
- appreciate your sending the
- appreciate the effort you expended
- appreciate your quick response
- enthusiastic reply to
- for your help and cooperation
- for responding to our
- for your timely response
- for honoring my request
- for replacing the
- for returning the questionnaire
- for sending me the
- for your prompt response
- for replying to my
- for taking the time to
- for your prompt attention to
- for the information you supplied
- for your response to our
- in such a timely manner
- on such short notice
- thank you for
- to clear things up
- to answer my questions
- to resolve this problem
- your delightful response to
2 Explain the benefit that has come or that you anticipate will come from this action.
Sentences for Step 2
- We can all rest more easily now that we know our quarters are safer.
- The early arrival of these materials will help us in our recruiting efforts.
- The bulbs arrived in good condition, and I plan to plant them immediately.
- We needed the information for our annual report that we must file by January 31. The information you provided was very helpful.
- Your efforts will help us in our plans for a class reunion in July.
- The information you gathered has helped us prepare a convincing argument for closing the road leading to the old mine.
Phrases for Step 2
- am happy to inform you
- are grateful for this information
- arrived in good condition
- because of your response
- because you responded so quickly
- because of your suggestion
- couldn't have done it without
- just what we needed
- needed the information for
- never could have done it
- should see the results of
- thanks to your prompt reply
- the information we gathered will
- the information you provided will
- want to let you know that
- want you to know
- will prove very useful as we
- will help us in our
- will be well worth the
- will make our work easier
- your efforts will help us to
3 End with a positive statement.
Sentences for Step 3
- On behalf of all the tenants, I thank you for your quick action.
- We look forward to working with you on this tour.
- Your warranty is exactly as you stated. Thank you.
- We will try to give you more time in the future.
- We hope you will join us for the big event.
- Thank you for your input.
Phrases for Step 3
- always welcome your insights
- always welcome your comments
- because of your obvious concern
- can always count on you
- enjoy my dealings with you
- for your help and cooperation
- for your prompt attention
- for your input
- for your help
- glad we are able to
- hope you will be able to
- in the future
- is exactly as you said
- offer more opportunities
- on behalf of all the
- our commitment to excellence
- thank you for
- the immeasurable effects of
- want to thank you for
- was most welcome
- will make things easier for
- your help was invaluable