Example Letter #1
As you have requested, the shipping department is sending you thirty additional copies of the Doe Employee Handbook and training materials. It takes John approximately three days to compile the shipment and four days to deliver it. In addition to the paperback manual, the training materials should include three overheads, a video, several photocopied handouts and a tape cassette.
I did not include a VHS or tape recorder because I am sure the general manager of your division has that equipment. If you find you need additional supplies, please notify me and I will send them before the training session.
Example Letter #2
Per your request, I am sending six reams of copier paper. This paper is twenty pound bond and is the highest grade of copier paper available in the city. I have also included samples of other paper colors that are available in the same weight. If you are interested in the other colors or if there is a problem with this paper, please call me.
Example Letter #3
Enclosed are the order forms, advertising material, and business cards you requested. The recruiting posters you asked for are being revised to comply with new government regulations. They should be ready to ship by next Friday. If there is anything I can do in the meantime, please let me know.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 State the shipment's general contents and that you are sending material at the reader's request.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- We have processed your request for equipment and material, dated June 6, and will send it out this afternoon.
- Enclosed is the sample you requested by phone yesterday, April 3.
- We shipped the equipment you ordered by flatbed truck. It should arrive by the end of the week.
- We have received your order dated August 23, and we are shipping it to you today.
- Enclosed in this package is the material you ordered.
- We shipped your order dated 7 July today by Doe Express.
- We have finished assembling the sewage pumps for the Springfield Water Treatment Plant, and we are shipping them by flatbed truck today. John should arrive at the Springfield job site on Wednesday or Thursday of this week, July 23 or 24. You will need to have a forklift with 12 ton capacity on hand to off-load the truck.
- I am glad to hear that things are going so well in the Northwest Region and that you need more copies of the promotional tape. I am sending 25 copies in this package by express, and another shipment is on its way by parcel post.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- acknowledge the receipt
- am sending you
- as per your specifications
- can expect it to arrive
- due to arrive
- enclosed in this package
- express shipment
- have processed
- have shipped the order
- package contains the items you requested
- requested items are enclosed
- scheduled to arrive
- should expect
- that you requested
- the same you requested by phone yesterday
- today by Overnight Express
- will complete
- your order dated
- your request for
2 Summarize the contents in more detail.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Here is an itemized packing list:
- The following items are enclosed:
- Enclosed is the Model T48 which you ordered and the following accessories:
- The shipment covers all of the items specified in the contract, including lubrication equipment.
- The shipment will arrive in two separate lots. The first lot includes the pump housing, while the second includes all the specified accessories and electronic gauging equipment.
- We filled your complete order dated July 8, with no problems or omissions.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- according to the order the shipment includes
- because of the manufacturer's delay
- contents include a complimentary
- enclosed are the following items
- for your benefit
- in addition to the requested items
- included should be three separate parts
- itemized packing list
- items specified in the order
- list detailing the contents
- parts #123 and #124 will arrive Friday
- second shipment will complete the order
- separate shipments
- specified in the contract
- the following accessories
- which you ordered
- will deliver the corrected order
3 Explain any omissions or items included but not ordered.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I have had trouble getting all of the Doe computers you ordered. They are obviously in high demand, so you will have to do with the ones in John's office for a while. I'll send them as soon as they arrive.
- I have sent extra copies of the training manual, so you will have enough for the people you plan to hire next month.
- Demand for model T48 has been very high, so it is currently on back order. We anticipate a shipment by the end of this month and will send your order out as soon as possible.
- Since the owner has changed the color specifications in the contract, we have substituted blue paint for the red you requested.
- The order is complete, except for the fan motor, stock #K123, which the company no longer manufactures. We learned of this change after we put the specification into the plans. The architect and owners have approved a substitution. We will send it by the end of the week.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- anticipate a shipment next week
- apologize for the delay
- are on back order
- because of recent strikes, production has slowed down
- enclosing additional
- if you would like to change your order
- in place of the old model
- in lieu of
- instead we can provide you with
- no longer manufacture
- unable to complete your order
- upgraded model for just a few dollars more
- will have to reorder
- will have the factory ship directly to you
- will send your shipment as soon as possible
4 Close by offering further assistance, especially in the event that the reader finds errors or inadvertent omissions.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- The company warehouse personnel have packed your order with care, but sometimes errors or omissions occur.
- Please check your order and let us know if it is incomplete.
- Keep me current on your needs so you don't have to slow the job down while you wait for materials.
- I have instructed the scheduling people to be more attentive to your material needs, so you can avoid work slowdowns.
- Good luck with your sales trip, and let me know immediately if you need anything else to make the trip a success.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- attention to detail
- cannot afford to delay
- check your order for
- checking everything twice
- don't hesitate to call if
- let me know if anything is
- make every effort to
- packed your order with care
- please check to see
- sometimes errors occur
- sorry for the inconvenience
- to make up for
- try to give you needed support for
- try to accommodate your needs
- wait for equipment
- will try to avoid further delays