Transmit a Payment • Example Letters, Guides and Samples
Send this brief letter with a payment to ensure that the reader credits your account properly.
How to write this transmittal letter:
- Use a subject line to immediately state the purpose of the letter.
- State your reason for writing, the amount of the payment, the date, and the bill or invoice that the payment covers.
- Discuss details associated with the payment, as necessary. These details may include problems, shortages, quality concerns, or expressions of appreciation.
Example Letter #1
RE: Payment of Doe Corp. account
Please find enclosed our payment for $500 which covers the balance of our account with Doe Corporation. This payment covers in full all construction services that Doe Corporation provided for us during the months of July-September, 2018. Thank you for your services. We have been very pleased with the new offices.
Example Letter #2
Subject: Payment of Doe account #555
Please find enclosed my personal check for $150.00 dated March 15, 2018. Please apply it to my account and mail me an invoice reflecting my current balance. Thank you for your usual prompt service.
Example Letter #3
RE: April payment for garbage services, account #123
Enclosed is Doe's check for $100 to cover garbage services for April. This contract has worked out much better than I expected. I want to discuss terms for an additional year. Please give me a call to set up a convenient time to meet.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Use a subject line to immediately state the purpose of the letter.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Regarding: Payment on Account #123-1234, John Doe
- RE: Partial payment of February invoice
- Subject: Transmittal of Payment for Agricultural Equipment Purchased on September 8, 2018
- Subject: Dispute payment for Invoice #1234, John Doe
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- Attn: John Doe
- Complete Payment
- Full Payment
- Payment for Invoice #1234
- Payment for March Services
- Subject: Partial Payment and Memo
2 State your reason for writing, the amount of the payment, the date, and the bill or invoice that the payment covers.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Enclosed please find my check for $3,000.00. This is payment in full for janitorial services in our office building for July.
- Attached is our check for $3,700.00 as a partial payment on our real estate contract. This amount reflects the two percent discount for payment before the first of the month.
- The enclosed check is payment in full ($45,340.00) for the agricultural equipment we purchased on August 29, 2018 (invoice #123).
- Attached is my check for $2,357.00, which is partial payment on invoice #12345.
- The attached check is our final payment on loan #123.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- advance payment
- enclosed is a check
- payment on fees owed
- for invoice #555
- for your processing
- leaves a balance of
- our final payment
- payment in full
- price we agreed to
- should cover the balance
- only a partial payment
- to cover the cost of
- to pay for last month's services
- purchased from you
- will reduce our balance to
3 Discuss details associated with the payment, as necessary. These details may include problems, shortages, quality concerns, or expressions of appreciation.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I spoke with one of your staff on the phone yesterday concerning my account. He said you had not received my payment for May. As I went through my records, I found that I had sent check #123 for $67.00 to you on April 27, but it has not cleared the bank yet. It is either in your office or lost in the mail. In the meantime, I have stopped payment on the check and I have enclosed a replacement check to bring my account up to date.
- The attached check for $575.00 is our rent check for July, less the amount we paid for emergency plumbing repairs last month ($372.50). You will recall that we discussed the problem over the phone, and you authorized me to call the plumber and do whatever was necessary to get the toilet repaired. I have attached the itemized bill from Doe Plumbing.
- Thank you for the prompt delivery of our new equipment. Enclosed is my payment in full for invoice #123.
- The payment is $130.50 short because I am disputing the Doe Postal Service shipping charge of $238.00. The supervisor at the local Doe office says that the rate should only be $107.50 (see attached memo).
- We are very happy with the new equipment. Thanks!
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- appreciate your patience
- attached memo you sent
- because of temporary difficulties
- by the end of the month
- challenging the late fee
- does not reflect
- if there is an error
- memo indicating
- never processed the check
- plan to pay off the balance
- should be the final payment
- thank you for your help
- thanks for your cooperation
- the initial payment did not
- this covers the last two charges
- will find a difference