Example Letter #1
I will consider it a great honor to serve as honorary chairperson and to grant permission to your organization to use my name for promotional purposes. Prior commitments, however, dictate that I must participate in name only. Nevertheless, I am immensely interested in your progress and would appreciate you sending me literature for each goal you undertake.
May your endeavors be successful. Our community stands to benefit a great deal as you accomplish each objective.
Example Letter #2
I am both surprised and excited that your organization selected me to serve as an honorary board member for your project. Because I have long had an interest in your cause, I am eager to lend my support. Since I am currently involved in another movement that consumes my time, I am afraid I will be able to participate on a nominal level only. However, to show my support I would enjoy reviewing your literature and offering some suggestions.
I hope you will meet with every success in your praiseworthy endeavors. Your efforts will benefit many.
Example Letter #3
Thank you for extending such a compliment to me by inviting me to serve as an honorary member for your fund-raiser. I appreciate the confidence you have shown in me. Prior commitments make it impossible for me to attend personally, but rest assured that you have my full support in your objectives. As an avid supporter of your cause, I hope my modest contribution will help.
I sincerely hope your fund-raising attempts meet with great success. I believe that you will accomplish much good as you realize your goals.
Example Letter #4
I am flattered that you selected me to serve as the honorary Grand Marshal of the Springfield festival. Because I support the good this event accomplishes for the community, I accept your invitation, with the understanding that my personal involvement will be limited to the event itself. I would also like a contract describing how your organization will use my name in promotional materials.
Our family has always looked forward to the annual Springfield festival and we anticipate another enjoyable occasion this year.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Graciously express your willingness to serve.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Thank you for your kindness in requesting that I serve as honorary chair for the Doe fund raiser. I will be happy to serve.
- Thank you for the confidence you have shown in me by requesting that I be an honorary board member. I will be honored to lend my name and support to your effort.
- I am delighted to help by being an honorary member of the Doe Society.
- Thank you for thinking of me. I will be happy to lend my name to such a worthwhile cause.
- As a matter of principle, I rarely lend my name in support of social causes; but in this case, I can see how much good we can accomplish. I will be happy to be your honorary president for campaign 2019.
- Your confidence in me to help your cause is touching. It will be an honor for me to be your honorary chair.
- I am honored that you selected me to be the Grand Marshal for the Springfield Festival parade.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- accept your offer
- am delighted to
- am honored to be
- for the confidence you have shown in me
- for thinking of me
- for your kindness in requesting
- how much good can be accomplished
- it will be a pleasure to
- lend my name and support to
- serve as honorary chair of
- such a wonderful reputation for
- such a worthwhile cause
- support your organization
- thank you for
- the confidence you are placing in me
- this exciting opportunity
- to help your cause
- to get involved in
- to accept your
- to assist you
- will be happy to
- will be honored
- will be an honor for me
- your request that
2 Confirm that the position is honorary and that the organization will not require your personal involvement.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I understand from your letter that I need not attend the meetings, only the telethon.
- Because of other commitments, I need to know that you will not expect my personal appearance.
- Although I would normally enjoy being closely involved in the campaign, I trust you understand that I will not be available to participate in person. However, I will be happy to sign the fundraising letters.
- Although I will not be able to be involved personally, I hope my nominal contribution will help.
- Since my involvement is honorary and does not require activity on my part, I will consent in spite of my heavy schedule.
- In accepting your invitation, I understand that the organization will not request me to travel or attend the meetings.
- I understand that my only duty is to ride in the 4th of July parade.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- because of other commitments
- does not require me to
- hope my nominal contribution will
- my only duty will be to
- my personal appearance will not be necessary
- need to know that
- participate in person in
- personal involvement will be limited to
- plan to attend only the
- since my involvement is honorary
- trust you understand that
- understand that the organization will not request
- understand from your letter
- will, of course, be happy to
- will not be necessary for me to
- will not be available to
- will not be able to
- will participate only in the
- will not expect me to
3 Express your own interest in and support for the goals, activities, or aspirations of the organization making the request.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I have personally seen the results of your activities, so I come on board without hesitation.
- I know that the Doe fund raiser has always been a major source of revenue for community causes. I am glad to contribute in my small way.
- I have a special interest in your work, and would like to receive more information on your activities and accomplishments during the past year.
- Since my name will be identified with your cause, it would be helpful to have vital information at my fingertips to share with others when questions arise.
- With organizations like yours contributing so much to our school, we can all take heart that the future will be better for our kids.
- I know you have earned broad support in the community, and you may rest assured that I am solidly behind your efforts.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- additional information on
- am solidly behind your efforts to
- can all take heart
- contributing so much to
- earned broad support in the community
- glad to contribute to
- happy to identify with
- has always been a
- have personally seen
- have a special interest in
- know that you have
- major source of revenue for
- making a real difference
- may rest assured that
- pleased to come on board
- the results of your activities
- to relieve the plight of
- very near to my heart
- when questions arise
- with organizations like yours
- working for a better future
- would like to receive
- your significant accomplishments
4 Express a wish for the organization's future success.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- Please accept my best wishes for continued success.
- You deserve all the success that comes your way.
- I hope your fund raiser exceeds your expectations.
- I wish you the very best in this endeavor.
- Best wishes in all your caring and doing.
- I wish you every success. You deserve it.
- With your good organization linked to just causes, I feel confident you will succeed admirably.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- deserve every success
- even further success
- ever-increasing success in
- exceeds your expectations
- feel confident that
- for continued success
- helping you make a difference
- hope that your fund raiser
- in this endeavor
- in all you do
- in your work for this excellent cause
- keep up the good work
- look forward to
- my best wishes for
- please accept my
- that comes your way
- the best of luck to you
- will succeed admirably
- wish you well
- wish you every success
- wish you the very best