Example Letter #1
I am pleased to notify you that we have decided to send you to the Doe conference on the weekend of June 3 to June 6. We recommend that you take along your assistant, Robert Johnson, as well.
Upon your return, I would like you to give the department a workshop based on the information you gathered at the conference. We are eager to get as much information as we can on new strategies in research and development. Have a great trip!
Example Letter #2
Your attending the Springfield Symposium sounds like a very good idea. I will notify Jane, and she will make the necessary travel arrangements. Be prepared to give us a full report when you return. Have a great trip!
Example Letter #3
I am pleased to grant your request to attend the Springfield International Teachers' Conference next month. Please see me for a copy of the district's business travel guidelines. We're glad to have you represent our district at this conference and we'll be waiting to grill you on the latest teaching techniques and gossip when you return.
Example Letter #4
Enclosed is your ticket to the Middle School Teaching Seminar in Springfield on May 21. Please return prepared to brief us on what you have learned--and enjoy yourself.
Example Letter #5
I agree that you should attend the Springfield Continuing Education Seminar in June. Use your business credit card for your expenses and remember to file an expense report when you return. If you need cash for the trip, I can approve advances of up to $500. This looks like an excellent program and should be well worth the expense. Have a good time.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Let the reader know that his or her request has been approved. Name the conference, seminar, or training course so there will be no misunderstanding.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I have approved your request to attend the National Fumigators' Convention in Springfield next month.
- Your request to go to the management seminar in Springfield, Kansas, April 10-12, has been approved.
- I am happy to approve your request to attend the support training to be held in Springfield next week.
- I agree that your attending the Springfield conference in September will benefit your department and am pleased to give approval for both you and John Doe to attend.
- We were pleased to hear that you have been invited to speak at the National Firemen's Convention in Kansas next month. Your request to attend has, of course, been approved.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- agree to your attending
- agree that your attending will
- am happy to approve
- am pleased to give approval for
- am pleased that
- for you to attend
- has been approved
- has agreed to let you
- have approved your
- should be a worthwhile experience
- to be held in
- to attend training on
- were very pleased to hear that
- will be glad to sponsor your
- will be very good for
- you have been invited to
- you are able to
- your request to go to the
- your attendance at
- your request to attend
2 Add any extra information the reader may need.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- Jane will assist you with travel and hotel reservations. Please review the limitation on meal reimbursements and the allowance for travel with your own vehicle.
- Please speak to Jane. She will help you with reservations and travel arrangements.
- Please make your plans through the company travel office so you can get the best fares.
- We trust that you will be prepared to share what you have learned at our May staff meeting.
- We ask that you plan on conducting similar training in your department after your return.
- I am sure your entire department will benefit from your attendance.
- We look forward to a full report when you return.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- after your return
- am sure you will
- ask you to plan on
- at our next
- be sure to
- conducting similar training
- hope you learn a great deal
- is a great opportunity to
- on your return
- pass on what you learn
- please be prepared to
- please make your reservations plans through
- please review the travel guidelines
- reservations and travel plans
- sharing what you learn
- the information you gain
- to be assured of
- travel allowance will be
- trust that you will
- when you get back
- will help you with
- will find it most worthwhile
- will benefit from
3 Add good wishes, if you like.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I attended the meeting last year and found the training to be very helpful. I hope you will benefit from it, too.
- I hope this will prove to be a good networking experience for you.
- Enjoy your trip!
- I am confident that you will find it valuable.
- I trust you will learn a great deal and enjoy yourself.
- Be sure to pass on what you learn to the rest of us.
- Have a great trip!
- I'll look forward to your report.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- all the latest
- be sure to pass on
- enjoy your trip
- found it to be very helpful
- good networking experience
- have a good time
- hope you will benefit from it
- hope this will prove to be a good experience
- hope you will learn a great deal
- pass on what you learn
- sure you will find it valuable
- the knowledge you gain will
- those who attended the last
- to your report
- to your return
- well worth your trouble
- will expect a full report
- will fill us in on
- will look forward to