Grant a Promotion or Raise • Example Letters, Plus Guides and Samples
This is an opportunity to give an employee some well-deserved recognition and praise, along with the good news about an increase in salary or status. Even a cost-of-living increase can be accompanied by an expression of appreciation for the employee's contributions.
How to write this approval letter:
- Tell the reader about the promotion or raise.
- Give relevant details not already communicated, such as new salary, new responsibilities, new lines of reporting, and the date when the change takes effect.
- Commend the employee for a job well done, but don't overdo it. Be sincere.
- Wish the employee well and/or express confidence in his or her future achievements.
Example Letter #1
Congratulations! Your hard work has paid off! After carefully reviewing your performance reports, the board has voted unanimously to promote you to the position of office manager.
This promotion will entitle you to a 10% salary increase and an office in the management suite. We will outline your additional duties and responsibilities in our advisory committee meeting next Wednesday. In the meantime, I suggest you start moving into your new office.
The board trusts that you will tackle this new challenge with the same efficiency and diligence that has characterized all your other work. We feel that you will do a fine job and wish you every success in this new position.
Example Letter #2
On behalf of management, I congratulate you on your performance record during your probationary period. You have met our expectations and have surpassed the average scores in every category. Therefore, we are pleased to lift your probation and welcome you as our permanent employee.
This change of status means a $4,000 annual raise and a full benefits package, effective immediately. For the time being, your responsibilities remain exactly the same, but you will no longer have a trainer to double-check your work.
Thank you for your enthusiasm. I am confident that you will enjoy great success with Doe Corporation.
Example Letter #3
It is my pleasure to inform you that you have been selected as the new team leader for development. This significant step on your career path will bring you additional responsibilities, job satisfaction, and financial rewards. Please report to Jane Doe on Monday, and she will brief you on your new responsibilities. Jane has been very impressed with your work and is confident that we will all benefit from your advancement. Congratulations on your new assignment!
Example Letter #4
It is my pleasure to inform you that you are being promoted to the position of district sales manager. Along with the increased responsibility comes a 10% salary increase and a move to corporate headquarters in Springfield. We at Doe have noted your contributions in sales and leadership. We are confident that you will show the same high level of performance in the northeast sales district. Keep up the good work!
Example Letter #5
I appreciate your contribution to Doe Dry Wall. Because of your efforts, I want to promote you to foreman to oversee the weekend jobs. This promotion will free you from much of the physical labor and provide you with a 15% pay raise. You'll have Wednesdays and Thursdays off as opposed to the weekends. Are you interested? I need your reply by the end of the week because my foreman needs to start on May 16. Thanks again for your work. You have great potential in this business.
Example Letter #6
Congratulations! The board just appointed you the new manager of the accounting department. Eric Doe is leaving in May, so you have two weeks to work with him and learn his "trade secrets." You begin running the department by yourself on May 5. Of course, there is more good news. The board also gave you a $5,000 raise, effective May 5.
You are very deserving of this promotion. I am certain that you will excel in your new position.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Tell the reader about the promotion or raise.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- Your progress with Doe has been outstanding. I am very happy to approve your request to assume the position of assistant manager.
- It is my pleasure to congratulate you on your promotion to section leader of Doe's engineering department.
- Congratulations! You are being promoted to the position of Vice President of Sales and Marketing.
- I am pleased to assign you responsibility for the Asian Division of Doe International.
- I am happy to inform you that, effective July 1, you will be acting supervisor of the morning shift. We have every expectation that after the two-month trial period this appointment will become permanent.
- Upon the recommendation of the board of directors, I am pleased to appoint you to a three-year term as department chair.
- Your contributions to the company have not gone unnoticed, and we are happy to inform you that as of August 1, your salary will increase to $36,000 annually, or $3,000 per month. This represents a 6% increase over your current salary.
- Effective March 1, your salary will increase to $2,200 per month, or $26,400 annually.
- I am pleased to inform you that your salary for the academic year beginning September 1, 2019, will be $43,000.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- after the trial period
- am very happy to
- am pleased to
- am delighted to
- am pleased to
- are happy to
- are being promoted to
- has been a pleasure to
- have not gone unnoticed
- have every expectation that
- is my pleasure to
- on the recommendation of
- this appointment will become permanent
- to inform you that
- to the position of
- to approve your request to
- to assume the position of
- to appoint you to
- want to congratulate you on
- will assume responsibility for
- would like you to
- your contributions to the company
2 Give relevant details not already communicated, such as new salary, new responsibilities, new lines of reporting, and the date when the change takes effect.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- This promotion is effective April 1, with a salary increase of $1,800 per annum. You will continue to report to me.
- This is effective July 1, upon John's retirement. You will be assuming all of his responsibilities, and he will be working very closely with you this next month to ensure a smooth transition. Your salary will increase to $44,000.
- The responsibilities and remuneration that go with the position are as we discussed last week. It will, as we agreed, be necessary for you to relocate to our head office in Springfield. Please contact Jane Doe, who will help with your travel arrangements.
- This position will, of course, entail responsibility for all aspects of our Asian operations, and you will report directly to John Doe. Your salary will be $280,000 per annum, along with the standard profit-sharing arrangement.
- Shift supervisor responsibilities are outlined in your Employee Handbook, pages 30-31. Please study these carefully and see me if you have any questions. Your salary will increase by $80 per month during the trial period and will be reviewed after that.
- We require that you attend a training session for new supervisors. Personnel will contact you or, if you prefer, you may call Jane at extension 5555 to schedule your attendance.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- additional responsibilities will include
- assume the additional responsibilities of
- attend a training session for
- if you have any questions
- increase over your current salary
- is effective immediately
- outlined in your Employee Handbook
- please get in touch with
- responsibilities will include
- salary will increase to
- salary will increase by
- salary will be
- this promotion will, of course, entail
- to ensure a smooth transition
- to assign you responsibility for
- will be expected to
- will be responsible for all aspects of
- will take effect on
- will be necessary for you to
- will be assuming all of his responsibilities
- will need you to relocate to
- will report to
- will be required to
- will working closely with
- will be reviewed after that
- will continue to report to
3 Commend the employee for a job well done, but don't overdo it. Be sincere.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- You have made a significant contribution to your department this past year. We particularly appreciate your dependability and your tact and friendliness in dealing with customers.
- The perseverance you have shown through the crisis that erupted last year, along with your management skills, have convinced us that you are the right person to take over leadership of the team.
- Your enthusiasm and interpersonal skills have been a great asset to Doe, and we are very happy to show you this recognition.
- You are already aware of some of the challenges this division is undergoing, but we are confident that you are the person to turn things around.
- This division has performed well in the past, and we believe that the addition of your outstanding abilities will lead to renewed growth.
- As I mentioned during your performance review, we have been most impressed by your willingness to go the extra mile. We feel that you have prepared yourself well for this advancement.
- We have seen your many contributions and appreciate particularly the attention you pay to sorting out details.
- Your supervisors have commented several times on your ability to "keep your cool" under pressure. We believe this quality will be an asset to you in working with the people you supervise.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- are the right person to
- are sure that
- are confident that you
- are aware of some of the challenges
- as was mentioned at your performance review
- employee record shows that
- have seen and appreciated your
- have continued to improve
- have performed well in the past
- have great confidence in
- have convinced us that
- have prepared yourself well for
- have been most impressed by your
- have been a great asset to
- have made a significant contribution
- have every confidence that
- have appreciated your
- performance has been most satisfactory
- the significant contributions you have made
- this well-deserved recognition
- will be an asset to
- willingness to go the extra mile
- your ability to
4 Wish the employee well and/or express confidence in his or her future achievements.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- We sincerely appreciate your contributions and know we can always count on you to meet deadlines with quality performance.
- Keep up the good work!
- We believe the company will reap great rewards from having a person of your caliber in this position.
- We look forward to reading your first reports.
- We are confident that the area will achieve remarkable growth under your leadership.
- You have a promising future with Doe Corporation.
- We look forward to making this appointment permanent.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- a person of your caliber
- any questions should be directed to
- are confident that
- behind you all the way
- believe that the company will
- best wishes for
- can always count on
- have a strong future with
- have every confidence that
- if you have any questions
- if you prefer, you may call
- keep up the good work
- look forward to
- make significant contributions
- that you will continue to
- to making this appointment permanent
- under your leadership
- will reap great rewards from
- will achieve remarkable growth
- your future achievements