Write a Disagreement Letter • Example Letters and Guides
Clearly state the problem and explain what you want the reader to do. Avoid accusations and threats, particularly in a first letter. If the problem remains unresolved, you may wish to state clearly in a later letter what action you will take, but only if you are prepared to follow through.
How to write this disagreement letter:
- Refer directly to the point of disagreement.
- State your disagreement. Give evidence or support for your view, if appropriate.
- Clearly state the outcome you desire. If appropriate, state what action you are prepared to take to protect your interests.
- End by expressing your confidence in reaching a mutually agreeable solution.
Example Letter #1
I have received the school's notice requiring students to attend school on Saturday to compensate for days missed earlier this winter due to inclement weather. I understand that the school administration must ensure that the students attend a given number of school days and that Saturdays may be the only option between this late date and the end of the school year. However, two days notice prior to the make-up day is unsatisfactory, particularly when this weekend is a three-day holiday weekend.
I suggest you review your decision and either pick another Saturday or extend the school year one day. Our family, along with many others, has travel plans and our children will not attend this Saturday. It would be a pity if decisions such as this were to threaten the parents' support of the school. I feel sure that after the administration is aware of parents' concerns, they will reconsider this decision.
Example Letter #2
I have received a notice that all access to my storefront will be cut off during the resurfacing of a small section of sidewalk half a block away, scheduled for May 12. Though this obstruction is only for a day, I operate on a small profit margin and cannot afford to close down in the middle of the week. In consideration of the fact that the sidewalk repair is taking place over 100 feet from my door, I request that access be granted. Safety should not be a problem, as no large machinery will be used and the area under repair has been effectively cordoned off for more than one week already. Please instruct the repair crew to open and mark a safe path from the curb to my storefront during the repairs. I feel certain that this is a solution that all of us in the Downtown Business Alliance will be happy with.
Example Letter #3
I was deeply concerned to hear you say at last night's board meeting that you had spoken to all of your co-workers about the situation, and that all were in agreement with your point of view. May I point out that I, and several others you spoke to, do not agree with you at all. I do not pretend to speak for anyone else, but I think it would be much better to continue with the current accounting system than to make major changes halfway through the year.
Your proposals may work, and they are no doubt worth investigating, but I feel there is no need to rush into changes that will increase our workload and may give rise to misunderstandings.
Example Letter #4
At my daughter's last orthodontic appointment, 6 months after her first visit, she was told that her course of treatment has now been completed, and that she should simply wear her appliance as a retainer until her next appointment, which would not be scheduled for another six months.
The contract I signed stated clearly that her program of treatment would last for 18 months and would include the use of a twin block appliance. This is what I have been paying for and continue to pay for. It appears that an error has been made. Either she does not need the additional treatment which was originally outlined, in which case I should not have to pay for it, or she does need it, and has some months more of treatment to undergo.
Please review her records and let me know what the situation is, and whether our contract is still in force.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Refer directly to the point of disagreement.
Sentences for Step 1
- Pursuant to the notification I received on July 23, regarding my claim (#12345) on my policy (#54321), I regret to inform you that your proposed settlement is unacceptable.
- I just wanted to let you know on an informal basis that I feel uncomfortable giving our contract to the Doe Corporation.
- We just received your notice that our rent will increase from $555 to $655 per month, effective August 1.
- We understand that despite many tenants' letters of protest, you plan to go ahead with a rent hike without correcting any of the lease compliance problems we mentioned in our last letter.
- On Monday I received a rather confusing letter informing me that the article I wrote for next month's issue of The Report had been rejected because the topic was "not relevant" to the subscribers of the magazine.
Phrases for Step 1
- a notice that
- according to the lease
- according to my records
- am not liable for
- am disturbed about
- do not understand the
- have no recollection of
- have enclosed a copy of
- in accordance with
- in spite of the
- informing me that
- is quite unacceptable
- is our understanding that
- just received your
- may recall that
- notified me of
- on the basis of
- please refer to
- pursuant to your letter of
- received notification that
- seems to be an error in
- the terms of our contract
- understood that
2 State your disagreement. Give evidence or support for your view, if appropriate.
Sentences for Step 2
- The settlement you offered is not enough to cover the repair costs for my car that was damaged in the flood. I am enclosing photocopies of estimates from two upholstery repair shops and two auto stereo stores. To restore my car to its preflood condition, a settlement of at least $1650 is necessary.
- I know their proposal sounds very attractive, but I doubt they can really do a good job for the cost they show in their bid. On an earlier job they gained a reputation for using inferior materials and attempting to add charges for "unforeseen expenses."
- We protest this increase. It takes the rent price far beyond that of similar apartments in the area. Many tenants will no doubt move out.
- Doe Apartment renters have elected my wife and me to represent their interests in this matter. We feel strongly that a rent hike at a time when the owner is not living up to his part of the rental agreement is unacceptable.
- The letter was confusing because Jane Doe had assured me that the article would be published. I think it is very relevant in a time when government-funded benefits are the topic of much discussion. Other magazines with comparable readership have published essays on related topics.
Phrases for Step 2
- am enclosing copies of
- an untenable situation
- are certain that
- a violation of
- consider the ramifications of
- contradicts the terms
- does not seem fair
- had previously assured me that
- have you considered
- in the long run
- need more input
- is not acceptable
- long-term effects
- may lead to
- may give rise to
- may initially seem attractive
- must protest this
- must disagree with
- on behalf of
- our previous agreement
- situation certainly merits
- this course of action
- urge you to reconsider
3 Clearly state the outcome you desire. If appropriate, state what action you are prepared to take to protect your interests.
Sentences for Step 3
- Please review these data and send me a revised settlement offer sufficient to cover our replacement and repair costs.
- I feel that the competing proposal would be safer. I know the bid is higher than Doe's, but in the end it would probably be worth it. I will be glad to talk about this in more detail.
- When we moved in we were told that rent would not increase more than 5% a year. We request that you honor your word.
- If you raise the rent in August without having repaired every item on the attached list of maintenance problems, we will begin a rent strike until all the work is done. We sincerely hope this action does not become necessary, but we are all determined to follow through if it does.
- Please clarify for me what happened. Has the editorial policy changed since I spoke with Jane Doe? Are there other considerations of which I am unaware?
Phrases for Step 3
- a written explanation
- a prompt correction
- be aware that
- honor the agreement you made
- if necessary, call me at
- in the light of
- inform me of
- it may become necessary to
- kindly check your records
- let me know
- please review the
- please clarify this
- request that you honor
- send written acknowledgment
- set up an appointment
- study the enclosed
- trust that it will not come to
- trust that it will not be necessary to
- urge you to reconsider
- wait a while before
- will have no choice but to
- will call you on
4 End by expressing your confidence in reaching a mutually agreeable solution.
Sentences for Step 4
- Our family has held policies with Doe Insurance for as long as I can remember, and we have always received good service. I trust you will honor this reasonable request, too.
- I trust the right decision will prevail. Of course I will work closely with whoever gets the contract.
- We feel you have been fair in the past, and feel confident that you will honor this request.
- We are sure the owner will take action so a strike will not be necessary. Please contact us if you have any questions.
- You can see why I disagree with the content of the letter. I believe you can make some sense of it for me.
Phrases for Step 4
- am confident that
- am sure that this
- appears to be a misunderstanding
- can reach me at
- can sort out quite easily
- if you have any questions
- if you need any more information
- look forward to
- please feel free to
- resuming our mutually beneficial
- take immediate action
- thank you for
- to our mutual satisfaction
- trust that you will honor
- trust that this will
- will be happy to
- will abide by your
- would appreciate your
- your immediate attention to
- your attention to this matter