Example Letter #1
After eight years of working with some of the finest and most talented people in the industry, I have decided to move on and accept a position with Doe Corporation. I must admit that Jane's and my desire to be near our families in Kansas influenced our decision. I have asked John to assume my responsibilities until a replacement can be found. Business will continue as usual, but you will no longer be required to laugh at my jokes. I will greatly miss each and every one of you. My last directive is for Jane to organize and invite the entire group to a surprise going-away party in my honor.
Example Letter #2
After seven years at Doe Corporation I have decided to seek new adventures. I am sure you can understand that making this decision has been difficult. I leave with mixed emotions.
I would like to make the transition as easy as possible for my successor. One sticky situation involves the Springfield account. We have been trying to reach an agreement on the particulars for the last three weeks without much success. Eric has been assisting me, so he is completely familiar with the issues. He can help Jane if she takes over that account.
It has been a pleasure to work with you. I wish you all the very best.
Example Letter #3
If you will recall, I mentioned in passing last week that I may be moving on to a new firm in Springfield. They have offered me a position, and I will be leaving Doe Accounting within the week. John Doe will be handling your firm's books. He is an outstanding accountant and I am sure you will like him immediately. I have appreciated your patronage and friendship over the last two years. Should you have any concerns about the change, please call me before Friday or call John thereafter. In any case, may your business continue having black-letter success.
Example Letter #4
As many of you know, I will be leaving Doe Corporation tomorrow as part of the voluntary RIF. I have accepted a position with another company located in the new Springfield Research Park off the hill.
I leave with mixed emotions because I have made so many good friends over these past 8 1/2 years. My life has been greatly enriched by the kindness and encouragement so many of you have shown to me. I will always be grateful for the many friends I have made along the way and the wonderful memories I take with me.
May you all enjoy wonderful success in the years to come.
Example Letter #5
With a bit of sorrow, and a lot of excitement, I wish to formally announce my departure from the Doe Corporation next month to pursue my new position with another company.
I remain grateful, however, for the opportunity to work with everyone here at Doe Corporation. My thanks to all who made this company and its products flourish as they have, especially to John and Jane for their generosity and leadership. It has been a once-in-a-lifetime experience to be on board.
I wish the best of success to everyone who is remaining with the company or moving to new ground. See you on the net!
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Announce or confirm your departure. Explain the circumstances as you feel appropriate.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I have accepted a position with the Doe Corporation's management training team. My last day at work will be August 22.
- Doe International recently offered me a position in their Tokyo office. I accepted and will be leaving Springfield at the end of the year.
- I want to pass on my good news. Somehow I got an interview with Jane Doe, and she wants me to start as soon as possible!
- I will assume my new position in the Receiving Office on November 15.
- When I took this job I knew it would be a great stepping stone. I couldn't have guessed how soon I would be stepping away.
- I have an opportunity to take a job overseas. I can't pass this one up, so effective April 16, my desk will be vacant.
- On November 9, I will relocate to our Springfield office, where I will meet a whole new set of challenges.
- My husband, John, has had a sudden change of assignment, so we will be moving to Springfield no later than July 14.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- affords me the flexibility to
- although I am excited about
- am pleased to tell you
- am sad to leave
- an exciting new challenge
- as you may have already heard
- assignment has been changed
- can't pass up this opportunity
- have accepted a position with
- have been transferred to
- have kicked me upstairs
- last day at work will be
- leave with mixed emotions
- may have heard about my
- never thought this day would come
- want me to start as soon as possible
- will pursue my own
- will assume my new position with
- will be moving to
- will be leaving at the end of the year
- will be relocating to
2 State details important to the people remaining, such as who will replace you or what adjustments will be made.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I will clear my office out by November 12, and Jane will need your input for possible replacements.
- John will take over my clientele, and Jane will move into my office. During the week of June 23-27, I will introduce John to clients and show him my route. I will not be available after that week.
- Jane Doe will take my place. She has been a leader in the electrolysis field for some time, and I am sure she will be a positive addition. I have left pertinent technical information with John, so he should be able to respond to any questions.
- Eric, my assistant who you have already met, will be taking over as your Doe representative. I have given him access to all our past files, and he knows the business well. I am sure you will be very happy working with him. If you encounter any problems, Eric will have my new office number.
- John, my replacement, is eager to begin, so I will be leaving April 4. Jane, at the front desk, has all my files. We all want the transition to go as smoothly as possible, so if you have any problems, please see Jane or John.
- The only sticky situation is the worrisome Doe account, which has been delinquent for some time. Copies of my correspondence with them are in my file with all the other client information.
- Jane Doe is both knowledgeable and personable. I am confident she will more than fill my shoes. Jane's experience with international relations will bring a new dimension to this department's operation.
- Just a few last-minute notes: John Doe will be taking over the Doe files. He has been assisting me with these for the past six months. Jane will be handling all the international accounts. Robert Jones will be able to answer any questions; his extension is 555.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- a few last-minute notes
- am confident that
- am sure that
- expect to be able to
- has the Doe spirit
- has been fully briefed on
- have time to tie up my loose ends
- if there are any problems
- knows the problem areas
- knows the business well
- my assistant will
- need to follow up in the following areas
- plan to complete the project before
- refer questions to
- should be a smooth transition
- will introduce him to
- will fill in for me until
- will not be available after
- will take over my responsibilities
- will be happy to
- will bring a new dimension to
- will be a great addition to our
- will take my place
- would appreciate your input on
3 Mention benefits of your association with the reader, and close on a pleasant, upbeat note.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- I have been very happy with our transactions over the past five years. Your professional approach to purchasing has made my job easy, as I know it will my replacement's.
- The years I have spent in this department have added much to my life. I will miss all of you and hope we will see each other often in the future. Please feel free to call me at any time.
- I hope you know how much I have enjoyed working at Doe International. I especially appreciate all I have learned here. This job was the right place for me at the right time.
- As much as I am looking forward to living and working overseas, I will miss all of you back here. I am already anticipating return visits when we will get together and "talk shop."
- John, I want to thank you for the way you took me under your wing. I would never have been able to make the leap into starting my own business had I not learned so much here at Doe. I look forward to many more years of mutually beneficial association.
- Ours has been the most rewarding business relationship I have ever experienced. I thank you for the years of great business and friendship. I am sure our work will have us in the same place at the same time often in the years ahead, and for that I am glad.
- As excited as I am about my new position, I will miss you all very much. I want to thank you for all I have learned during my tenure at Doe's.
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- all you have done for me
- all I have learned here
- as much as I am looking forward to
- has been a rewarding relationship
- has been a pleasure to
- have appreciated your
- have been very happy here
- have thoroughly enjoyed
- have learned so much from
- have especially appreciated the
- have enjoyed working with you
- have enjoyed working at
- have added so much to my life
- is difficult to leave
- leave with the fondest memories of
- please feel free to
- remember all the times we
- sad to leave such good friends
- want you to know how much I
- want to thank you for
- will miss all the wonderful people
- will miss all of you
- will never forget